The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

hey folks here is one for you. what is the limit to contact of conversation between coach and official outside the court. During tournaments that last several hours do you folks draw a line at the conversation with coaches before games and after in the hallways , hospitality rooms and etc. Seems to me once the game is over or well before a game is to begin there should not be a problem with coaches chatting with you folks but in our league some official just shy away and others will talk up a storm. What is the general un-written rule. thanks
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 03:16pm
Suppref

Short and Sweet

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky
hey folks here is one for you. what is the limit to contact of conversation between coach and official outside the court. During tournaments that last several hours do you folks draw a line at the conversation with coaches before games and after in the hallways , hospitality rooms and etc. Seems to me once the game is over or well before a game is to begin there should not be a problem with coaches chatting with you folks but in our league some official just shy away and others will talk up a storm. What is the general un-written rule. thanks
I try not to say too much. Just the normal "How do you dos." If he is a family member or good friend obviously that is different, you have to draw the line yourself. Otherwise try only to discuss topics that don't include the games played or are about to play.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 03:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

In pre and post season tournaments, usually it is unavoidable to have contact with coaches. In fact, lots of times a coach is the sponsor and arranges for your payment, sometimes at the gym on game day. How are you not going to talk to him/her in that case?

I never have had any problem chatting with coaches in these situations. I have known most of them for years, and they all realize that regardless of how friendly we are off the court, it has no bearing on my calls on the court. If they ever forget this, they are reminded of it the first time they complain

I am on the Board of our local youth organization and since we have a competitive division as well as a rec division, I am in frequent contact with our boys and girls high school coaches. I do a summer league for the girls coach and his school is represented in the league. He knows full well that we are friends off the court, but on the court I am all business. If you establish this early on, you should not have any trouble. However, if you are relatively new, my advice is to keep it brief and pleasant to all coaches off the court - probably no more than general greetings.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 03:50pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Chatting.

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky
rocky,
During the summer I'll talk to anyone.
During the season I try to stay polite.
mick

Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

my two cents on this topic, which i stated in a thread a few months ago, is that it's generally a good idea to keep the conversations with coaches (espcially at the all day tournaments) to a minimum. How you doing, that sort of thing. If they have a general rules question, that won't take long to answer, you'd be rude not to give a concise, good answer.

But, as i stated before, it's the coach that you're NOT talking too that can be the problem. If he/she sees you in an extended conversation with his/her counterpart what might that coach think? Rightly or wrongly, that coach MIGHT feel that he/she is starting the game at a disadvantage.

Please see page 7 of the NFHS 1999-2001 Basketball Official's Manual...

"Loafing in the coach's office or carrying on long conversations with him/her before, during or after the game may give the appearance of favortism...The quickest way to lose respect of coaches and players is to get the reputation of being a horse trader. ALL ACTIONS SHOULD REFLECT STRICT AND TOTAL IMPARTIALITY (emphasis added)."

Those words are the Federation's, not mine.

Jake
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 04:47pm
Esteemed Participant

The thing to remember is perception...perception can help you or blow you out of the water in this business. It doesn't even need to be a coach who sees you talking to another coach - it can be a parent, student, AD...anyone... put yourself in the position of one of the other teams. They see you chatting and yucking up a storm with a coach who they end up playing the next day - and you are calling the game. First close call that goes "in favor of" the other coach - they knew it was going to be this way! You're buddies with that guy!! And, as the game progresses, it only gets worse...during the season, I am polite but not familiar with coaches...during the off-season, I am polite but not familiar with coaches...

dj
Old Sat Jun 09, 2001, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]Please see page 7 of the NFHS 1999-2001 Basketball Official's Manual...

"...The quickest way to lose respect of coaches and players is to get the reputation of being a horse trader. ALL ACTIONS SHOULD REFLECT STRICT AND TOTAL IMPARTIALITY (emphasis added)."

Those words are the Federation's, not mine.

Jake [/B]
If I was a horse trader I would take offense.

It's been a while since I "read" that book (I concentrate on the mechanics sections), and I never remember seeing that line in there. Could we get the fed to maybe update it from Dr. Niasmiths original writings?