The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Coach appears to headbutt official

Found video on Twitter from PA game down near Philly.
Tough to tell from the video but the coach "pumps" his head and chest towards the official who appears to T him up before that.
Not 100% sure if he makes contact, but the official goes down quick!

https://youtu.be/4lHpCW2lhhM

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by APG; Wed Jan 06, 2016 at 01:10am. Reason: embed is your friend
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to assume the coach is already fired and charges will be coming soon?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I'm going to assume the coach is already fired and charges will be coming soon?
Should be. Nothing excuses that. One of his players on the bench behind him puts his arms over his head in the last few frames, as if to say, "suddenly, our season will never be the same."

In the spirit of lessons learned, however, the calling official did not help things. He appeared to be issuing the technical with extreme anger/emotion. I'm sure the T was warranted. But when you let it get personal, things can get out of hand. Always say to yourself, "it's just another foul." Stay calm. Report. Then go administer free throws while your partners handle the admin and aftermath. Good to pre-game this.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Should be. Nothing excuses that.
You're right. Nothing excuses this. I've deleted the irrelevant part of your post.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should be. Nothing excuses that. One of his players on the bench behind him puts his arms over his head in the last few frames, as if to say, "suddenly, our season will never be the same."

In the spirit of lessons learned, however, the calling official did not help things. He appeared to be issuing the technical with extreme anger/emotion. I'm sure the T was warranted. But when you let it get personal, things can get out of hand. Always say to yourself, "it's just another foul." Stay calm. Report. Then go administer free throws while your partners handle the admin and aftermath. Good to pre-game this.
I don't know how you can see "extreme anger/emotion" from this video. And regardless its almost an insult to suggest that he "didn't help things" or acted in any manner whatsoever that led to this coach's actions.

And I see the "it's just another foul call" jargon a lot around here. I disagree. It's not just another call. Doesnt mean you get emotional or make a big deal out of it but its not the same as a common foul or a violation and I don't think we should lie and say it is.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Figured this would make it here. Unfortunately this is my school. You are right that nothing excuses the coach's actions. His current status is "indefinite suspension", but that will most likely be upgraded to "dismissed" in short order.

That being said the angle of the videos (and I've seen some from the other direction) makes a huge difference in how much contact there seems to be. Even the opposing fans (who were chanting "coach is a scumbag" immediately after) even said the official should get an Oscar.

Doesn't matter what fouls happened or even if contact happened. Just the gesture of the "headbutt" should be a dismissal let alone if it connected.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlbc View Post
said the official should get an Oscar.
If he sold the crap out of it I only have one thing to say:

Good for him.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How the hell can you derive this from this video alone?

And why does it matter? I'm sorry but we are not robots. If I whack a coach there will probably be some personality and emotion with the call.

Technical fouls are "just another foul"? Preposterous.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
How the hell can you derive this from this video alone?

And why does it matter? I'm sorry but we are not robots. If I whack a coach there will probably be some personality and emotion with the call.

Technical fouls are "just another foul"? Preposterous.
I chalk that phrase up as another example of ludicrous camp speak. A T is not just like another foul no matter how many times someone tries to say that.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

I know NFHS purists frown upon showing any inkling of personality with our calls, but I really don't care. NBA and college officials almost always call Ts with emphasis. Don't understand why it's seen as taboo in high school.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:21am
AremRed

Is it just me or does the official appear to make the technical foul signal twice?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Wow!
Reminds me to be professional at all times, especially when addressing the coaches, fans or players... cause when the game is on the line or they don't like a call; they can and will turn on us like mange dogs.
What an disgrace!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 01:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I know NFHS purists frown upon showing any inkling of personality with our calls, but I really don't care. NBA and college officials almost always call Ts with emphasis. Don't understand why it's seen as taboo in high school.
I have been told at college camps to call a T just like it is any other foul. I think that is more what you hear people in your area or camps say. I do not get the impression that is any more than a person position that individuals take like they do with many other things. What I do at the college level is almost identical to what I do at the high school level. I guys I work for that assign college are some of the same people I work or worked high school for. The biggest difference is the shirt, but that is about it.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 02:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the video slowed down. The coach needs to be fired.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Here's another view of the incident. The play leading up to it begins at 1:33:29 on the 2nd video on the page. The first video is a condensed version.

http://livestream.com/accounts/1274087/events/4613089

(obviously I'm out of practice with embedding...)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Jan 06, 2016 at 02:22am.