The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 11:57pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Watching the incident on the video, what I saw was a young man look directly at the umpire and then spike his helmet.

I do think that he spiked the helmet out of frustration for hitting into a double play. I think he was looking at the umpire for the call.

But still, he was looking at the umpire just before spiking his helmet. It's understandable that he was ejected.

The behavior problem is still the player's.

Rita
It's understandable coming from Bucknor. Two guys named Angel would have done the same. So too would, I'll bet, DJ Reyburn and Rob Drake. Nobody else I can think of would have.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
It's understandable coming from Bucknor. Two guys named Angel would have done the same. So too would, I'll bet, DJ Reyburn and Rob Drake. Nobody else I can think of would have.

Bob Davidson comes to mind as one who would have run the kid.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Fri Aug 31, 2012 at 06:08pm.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Spoiled Primadonna who got taught a lesson from an adult about how to act on a baseball field!!!
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're definitely not alone. I have tons of partners who eject for things at the HS and college levels that I'd never eject for. Mostly they're injecting their own opinion concerning what's acceptable behavior instead of whether the ejection assists with game management.

Your point about Harper making the umpire having to decide motive is valid, but doesn't alter the fact that CB decided wrong.
You wouldn't eject for this in a high school game? What else do you put up with from kids? Drawing lines? Barking at you from the dugout? I don't understand how you wouldn't eject in a high school game. College players get a little more rope, but not a lot, so this would probably earn them a trip to the showers too. From what it sounds like, the pro guys on here would do it too (And some have).

Quote:
Holbrook ejected Greinke in Houston a few weeks ago for spiking the ball. There's another guy. I bet we can come up with more if need be.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That was weak at any level where the players have two digits in their age.
Well, he certainly did act like a 10 year old
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Envy is a pitiful quality to possess.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 04:59pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

You don't get to the show by just being a nice guy.
That would explain that sour puss look he always has.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 05:13pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
Ozzy: "I'm not going to stand there and try and analyze why the player threw the helmet, I'm going to dump him and his manager if he doesn't like it!"

That is the difference between an amatuer umpire and a professional one. The amatuer automatically ejects...pretty easy to do and doesn't require much thought. Professional umpires are PAID to think about the situation, analyze and then determine the appropriate action. You think like an amateur umpire and that may be ok at the level(s) of games that you work. However, CB is a MLB umpire who is paid a lot of money to think before he reacts. In my opinion, he handled that situation in amateur like manner... which is not expected from a MLB umpire.
Your right. Some of these guys pump their chests out so far they don't need a chest proctector.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If your skill set was as rare and in demand, and millions of dollars were sunk into/will be sunk into you for the foreseeable future, then I'd imagine an employer would give one a pass.
It's not the first time he's been ejected this year.

He already had 2 HRs in the game. What an idiot to get ejected.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
It's not the first time he's been ejected this year.

He already had 2 HRs in the game. What an idiot to get ejected.
And my point still remains...it's not realistic to compare what we could get away with in a "regular" job compared to what a pro athlete/celebrity/movie actor, etc would be allowed to get away with.

I think it wasn't particularly smart on his part to even place an umpire in the position to have to judge whether to toss or not.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 07:22pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You wouldn't eject for this in a high school game? What else do you put up with from kids? Drawing lines? Barking at you from the dugout? I don't understand how you wouldn't eject in a high school game. College players get a little more rope, but not a lot, so this would probably earn them a trip to the showers too. From what it sounds like, the pro guys on here would do it too (And some have).

Holbrook ejected Greinke in Houston a few weeks ago for spiking the ball. There's another guy. I bet we can come up with more if need be.
A guy slamming his helmet in frustration after hitting into a DP is not, to me, something that he needs to be dumped for. I don't care if he's 14 or 40.

I'm not as full of myself as the average umpire. Players "get away" with a lot at every level when I'm on the field. A HS player can yell "F**K!" when he pops up with the bases loaded, and I don't care. A simple, "Hey, don't do that anymore, 'cause you're making us both look bad to the Puritans" has never failed to solve the "problem."

Drawing lines is an auto eject; that's showing me up. Guys who are full of themselves and who think being an umpire is some sort of higher calling often disagree with me, and that's OK. Differences of opinion on game control techniques aren't the end of the world. I have two ejections in 120 games so far this year, and I don't think I've let anybody slide that I should have run.

I don't require much from players as far as behavior: Don't show up either me, my partners, or the opponents, and you can cuss, dip, and show frustration if you want. Teaching sportsmanship is a coach's job, not mine.

Holbrook's ejection of Greinke was every bit as weak as Bucknor's, but your (and others') point is taken: I'm sure you can think of other guys who would eject, that I didn't.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure you can think of other guys who would eject, that I didn't.
Yeah, on the MLB play that's being discussed in this thread, here they are:

Umpires: Roster | MLB.com: Official info
Old Sat Sep 01, 2012, 07:10am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
I don't require much from players as far as behavior: Don't show up either me, my partners, or the opponents, and you can cuss, dip, and show frustration if you want.
Now I know who that manager is referring to when he says "They let us do that last game & didn't say anything."
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 04:13pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Now I know who that manager is referring to when he says "They let us do that last game & didn't say anything."
And I know who they're talking about when they say, "Most of the umpires we get act like everyone's here to see them."
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I know who they're talking about when they say, "Most of the umpires we get act like everyone's here to see them."
Yep, when a HS player "yells F**K" on the field, it's all about the umpire.