View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 31, 2012, 07:22pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You wouldn't eject for this in a high school game? What else do you put up with from kids? Drawing lines? Barking at you from the dugout? I don't understand how you wouldn't eject in a high school game. College players get a little more rope, but not a lot, so this would probably earn them a trip to the showers too. From what it sounds like, the pro guys on here would do it too (And some have).

Holbrook ejected Greinke in Houston a few weeks ago for spiking the ball. There's another guy. I bet we can come up with more if need be.
A guy slamming his helmet in frustration after hitting into a DP is not, to me, something that he needs to be dumped for. I don't care if he's 14 or 40.

I'm not as full of myself as the average umpire. Players "get away" with a lot at every level when I'm on the field. A HS player can yell "F**K!" when he pops up with the bases loaded, and I don't care. A simple, "Hey, don't do that anymore, 'cause you're making us both look bad to the Puritans" has never failed to solve the "problem."

Drawing lines is an auto eject; that's showing me up. Guys who are full of themselves and who think being an umpire is some sort of higher calling often disagree with me, and that's OK. Differences of opinion on game control techniques aren't the end of the world. I have two ejections in 120 games so far this year, and I don't think I've let anybody slide that I should have run.

I don't require much from players as far as behavior: Don't show up either me, my partners, or the opponents, and you can cuss, dip, and show frustration if you want. Teaching sportsmanship is a coach's job, not mine.

Holbrook's ejection of Greinke was every bit as weak as Bucknor's, but your (and others') point is taken: I'm sure you can think of other guys who would eject, that I didn't.