The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Yikes.

If I used the CB standard, I'd have about two dozen more ejections per year.

That was weak at any level where the players have two digits in their age. If a player doesn't look at me, doesn't gesture, doesn't say anything, and the equipment is thrown down (i.e., not across the diamond), that's frustration with himself and does not need to be punished.
I might be alone here, but I would certainly eject in a HS game for this without batting an eye, and would probably eject in a college game as well.

I don't have a problem with Bucknor ejecting Harper here. If he doesn't want to leave, he shouldn't throw his helmet and make the umpire decide what his motives were. With that said, I don't think Harper did it maliciously and I don't think he's a punk. I think he is young and has some growing up to do and plays extremely hard.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
Ozzy: "I'm not going to stand there and try and analyze why the player threw the helmet, I'm going to dump him and his manager if he doesn't like it!"

That is the difference between an amatuer umpire and a professional one. The amatuer automatically ejects...pretty easy to do and doesn't require much thought. Professional umpires are PAID to think about the situation, analyze and then determine the appropriate action. You think like an amateur umpire and that may be ok at the level(s) of games that you work. However, CB is a MLB umpire who is paid a lot of money to think before he reacts. In my opinion, he handled that situation in amateur like manner... which is not expected from a MLB umpire.
A) You have no idea who you're talking to, do you. B) This ties for the most idiotic post ever on the internet. It doesn't matter the reason, you don't chunk your equipment in anger on the field. Veterans know this... maybe Harper knows it too now. Maybe one day, you will too.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
That is the difference between an amatuer umpire and a professional one. The amatuer automatically ejects...pretty easy to do and doesn't require much thought. Professional umpires are PAID to think about the situation, analyze and then determine the appropriate action. You think like an amateur umpire and that may be ok at the level(s) of games that you work. However, CB is a MLB umpire who is paid a lot of money to think before he reacts. In my opinion, he handled that situation in amateur like manner... which is not expected from a MLB umpire.
I laughed.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 01:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Spiking gear is pretty much an automatic EJ in the the majors regardless of motive.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Welpe: "Spiking gear is pretty much an automatic EJ in the the majors regardless of motive"

Your statement should read "Spiking gear AT AN UMPIRE OR UMPIRE'S CALL is an automatic EJ at any level"

Harper slamming his helmet was NOT directed at the CB Bucknor... and if he would have waited and read the situation a little more before giving him the thumb, he would have realized that.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Spiking gear is pretty much an automatic EJ in the the majors regardless of motive.
I don't think so. You'll see spiked bats and helmets quite often after a swinging third strike and nary an ejection.

Now a spike after a called thrid strike - different story.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 05:31pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I might be alone here, but I would certainly eject in a HS game for this without batting an eye, and would probably eject in a college game as well.

I don't have a problem with Bucknor ejecting Harper here. If he doesn't want to leave, he shouldn't throw his helmet and make the umpire decide what his motives were. With that said, I don't think Harper did it maliciously and I don't think he's a punk. I think he is young and has some growing up to do and plays extremely hard.
You're definitely not alone. I have tons of partners who eject for things at the HS and college levels that I'd never eject for. Mostly they're injecting their own opinion concerning what's acceptable behavior instead of whether the ejection assists with game management.

Your point about Harper making the umpire having to decide motive is valid, but doesn't alter the fact that CB decided wrong.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
How funny: my first thought was kinda the opposite. Bucknor's EJ of Harper for this makes my job easier.
Agree, he would only need to dump 2 or 3 before word gets around and everyone's job is easier.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ues View Post
ozzy: "i'm not going to stand there and try and analyze why the player threw the helmet, i'm going to dump him and his manager if he doesn't like it!"

that is the difference between an amatuer umpire and a professional one. The amatuer automatically ejects...pretty easy to do and doesn't require much thought. Professional umpires are paid to think about the situation, analyze and then determine the appropriate action. You think like an amateur umpire and that may be ok at the level(s) of games that you work. However, cb is a mlb umpire who is paid a lot of money to think before he reacts. In my opinion, he handled that situation in amateur like manner... Which is not expected from a mlb umpire.
you wouldn't make it through the minors with that attitude.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

I live in MD and follow the Orioles and Nats. Harper should have been tossed a few times this season and was'nt.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 07:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Anytime Harper gets ejected it is a good thing. I have no sympathy. Act like an adult if you want to play with the big boys.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I once ejected a player in a professional game for spiking his helmet. The first base coach was on me in a second arguing the ejection, saying "what did he do?!? What did he do?!?" The manager came sprinting out of the dugout. I braced myself for what I was sure was going to be a long argument with the manager...only to have the manager run past me, go right to his player, and start yelling at his player, "we don't do that in professional baseball!" (Among other things he said to his player.)

Next inning, the first base coach came out and said, "sorry, I didn't see him spike his helmet."

Professional managers, coaches and (at least, veteran) players know that spiking one's helmet after a close call is an automatic ejection. Davey Johnson's comments echo the knowledge of the vast majority of professional managers/coaches.

Actually, Ozzy's "attitude" would be anything but a hindrance to him going far in the minors.

I guarantee you that there is not one professional umpire (at least a professional umpire in an NAPBL or MLB league) that thinks CB's ejections was wrong.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I happen to know UES and I agree with him regarding this EJ. I think when it come to equipment we need to take in as much information as we can before deciding to eject. The spiking of a helmet on a called 3rd strike as the rat says " you have to be f%{king kidding me?" is the easy EJ. The play that CB had is it so simple.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
I happen to know UES and I agree with him regarding this EJ. I think when it come to equipment we need to take in as much information as we can before deciding to eject. The spiking of a helmet on a called 3rd strike as the rat says " you have to be f%{king kidding me?" is the easy EJ. The play that CB had is it so simple.
Again, if hes not tossed, CB would have had a longer night in that locker room from his crew. Quit thinking about how you feel about officiating the game and understand how the Big Boys do it, Period

You don't get to the show by just being a nice guy.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Watching the incident on the video, what I saw was a young man look directly at the umpire and then spike his helmet.

I do think that he spiked the helmet out of frustration for hitting into a double play. I think he was looking at the umpire for the call.

But still, he was looking at the umpire just before spiking his helmet. It's understandable that he was ejected.

The behavior problem is still the player's.

Rita