The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

My first ejection!

Girls Jr High game this morning. Game has been pretty chippy throughout, but starts getting really bad when, in the 3rd quarter, my partner calls a T on H1 for trying to knee a girl as she ran by.

My partner reports very quickly, but I know things are getting out of hand, so I go to the table and call the coaches over to explain to them that the chippy play has got to stop and to please reign in their players. H coach just blows up, saying the T was completely unjustified and we're "screwing" his team. Whack! "That's enough coach."

Well, that only sets him off more, so I hurry and report the T and try and get the heck out of dodge. I can't get two steps away from the table when he screams "You both are full of crap and everybody in this gym knows it."

Whack! Bye bye, coach. He tries to protest and on and on, and my partner lets him know that he has thirty seconds to begin exiting the gym, otherwise we're going to call forfeit.

What a fun time. I had to call another technical on his daughter later in the game for telling me I'm "full of crap." Runs in the family, I guess.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sticking a knee out is T? Have to be quite a non-contact, usportsmanlike act to pick one up like that...

Why get the coaches together here? Either they get the stop sign and get whacked onr they dont. Getting them together does not work most of the time in a situation like this...

Penalize the chippiness here. Based on the descrinption the coach may have been right that the T was unjustified ...

Try and learn from this... better ways to manage
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco
Girls Jr High game this morning. Game has been pretty chippy throughout, but starts getting really bad when, in the 3rd quarter, my partner calls a T on H1 for trying to knee a girl as she ran by.
How do you try to knee someone as they run by?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Jan 26, 2008 at 03:20pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Um. You bring your knee up towards their body in an attempt to make contact.

Not sure how else to explain that.

She didn't just "stick her knee out." She brought it up in attempt to strike the other girl but stopped short before she did. Plus, the look on her face spoke volumes.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thats a tuff one. I might have called intentional foul at that point based on the type of rough play you describe going on all game. From letting them play all game to a T on a particular play may have incited coach a bit. Especially if you had a close game.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
Thats a tuff one. I might have called intentional foul at that point based on the type of rough play you describe going on all game. From letting them play all game to a T on a particular play may have incited coach a bit. Especially if you had a close game.
Forgot to mention that I had already called an intentional foul on white earlier in the quarter.

Either way, I'm not sure an intentional foul covers this type of act, does it?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

You mean on the same player? If not, it doesn't matter how many you call in a game. If you call enough of them on that same player, she's going to foul out soon.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not an option - an official can't call an intentional foul without contact.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean on the same player? If not, it doesn't matter how many you call in a game. If you call enough of them on that same player, she's going to foul out soon.
No, different player.

During the course of the game, white had two different players called for technical fouls, one player called for an intentional foul and the coach ejected for two direct technicals.

And, even though it was a close game throughout, they still won.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 08:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Ha! Good question.
I had never seen it until a GV Thursday night.
In a mess under the basket, A1 grabbed a rebound [in front] and tried to dribble to the other side of the basket. B1 lifted her knee above the waist to impede. Quite strange.
But all I had was a block.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 09:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I go to the table and call the coaches over to explain to them that the chippy play has got to stop and to please reign in their players.
I agree with Kelvin. This was the problem. Just call the game. If you have hard contact, call the intentional. If you have more unsporting stuff, toss somebody.

This kind of conference in an already heated situation is rarely a beneficial thing, IMO.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My partner reports very quickly, but I know things are getting out of hand, so I go to the table and call the coaches over to explain to them that the chippy play has got to stop and to please reign in their players. H coach just blows up, saying the T was completely unjustified and we're "screwing" his team. Whack! "That's enough coach."

Well, that only sets him off more, so I hurry and report the T and try and get the heck out of dodge. I can't get two steps away from the table when he screams "You both are full of crap and everybody in this gym knows it."

Whack! Bye bye, coach. He tries to protest and on and on, and my partner lets him know that he has thirty seconds to begin exiting the gym, otherwise we're going to call forfeit.

What a fun time. I had to call another technical on his daughter later in the game for telling me I'm "full of crap." Runs in the family, I guess.
I have to say it's your fault the Coach was tossed. No good comes out getting Coach 's together. Call your game that in and of itself will reign in the players. Soon enough foul trouble will get rid of the trouble makers. Had you not added fuel to the fire the first tee would never had been called. I understand what you were trying to do and what your intentions were. However, keep in mind "no good deed goes unpunished".
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 10:08am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
I have to say it's your fault the Coach was tossed. No good comes out getting Coach 's together.

This may very well be the case in this situation, but this statement is totally false. Getting the coaches together is a tool that when used properly can work for the good.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
This may very well be the case in this situation, but this statement is totally false. Getting the coaches together is a tool that when used properly can work for the good.
While I agree, Tommy -- I think that your statement is inconsistent with your comment to MTD in his "T" thread about talking to the coach after a T.

That is, both can be a good tool when used by the right official at the right time to the right coach(es), but neither should be the first tool put into the tool belt by an inexperienced official.

When in doubt, don't initiate conversation with the coach.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
While I agree, Tommy -- I think that your statement is inconsistent with your comment to MTD in his "T" thread about talking to the coach after a T.

That is, both can be a good tool when used by the right official at the right time to the right coach(es), but neither should be the first tool put into the tool belt by an inexperienced official.

When in doubt, don't initiate conversation with the coach.

Agreed, In this case if I'm reading correctly, identify the 'troublemaker' and her fouls will take care of themselves.

I never intiate conversations with coaches unless it's necesssary.

As officials we are in charge and should be in control of the game.