The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Bryce Harper ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92303-bryce-harper-ejection.html)

rbmartin Thu Aug 30, 2012 03:30am

Bryce Harper ejection

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@MIA: Harper is ejected after throwing his helmet - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Some anylists seem to think that an umpire needs to lay a player down on the couch and query him as to how he really feels before taking disiplinary action on the field.

I know I'll catch heck for this but I have no problem with this ejection.

Simple math
Close play + helmet toss = ejection

EsqUmp Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:36am

No amount of money can buy this punk any level of decorum or maturity. Expect to see this for the next two decades.

I wonder how my employer would handle it if I threw staplers, lamps and keyboards from my desk when I got pissed off, regardless of the reason.

grunewar Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 852855)
No amount of money can buy this punk any level of decorum or maturity. Expect to see this for the next two decades.

I wonder how my employer would handle it if I threw staplers, lamps and keyboards from my desk when I got pissed off, regardless of the reason.

As a Nats fan I watch him play every night. He is passionate, enthusiastic, plays the game at 100% on every play every day, and is certainly immature with much to learn. I personally do not consider him "a punk."

I for one hope he finds a mentor (there are several candidates in this club house) and keeps most of the aforementioned good traits, learns from his mistakes, and continues to grow-up.

I thought this play to be just another one of his immature, frustration moves. He will either learn or not. If he doesn't learn he will get, or continue to develop a bad reputation, and then will have to try and defend his every action. I hope that is not the case.

Time will tell which direction he goes.........

mbyron Thu Aug 30, 2012 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 852858)
As a Nats fan I watch him play every night. He is passionate, enthusiastic, plays the game at 100% on every play every day, and is certainly immature with much to learn. I personally do not consider him "a punk."

I for one hope he finds a mentor (there are several candidates in this club house) and keeps most of the aforementioned good traits, learns from his mistakes, and continues to grow-up.

I thought this play to be just another one of his immature, frustration moves. He will either learn or not. If he doesn't learn he will get, or continue to develop a bad reputation, and then will have to try and defend his every action. I hope that is not the case.

Time will tell which direction he goes.........

This strikes me as right. Whether he is a "punk" remains to be seen, IMO. His fans read his tantrums as misunderstandings ("he was mad at HIMSELF, not trying to show up the umpire!"). But mature, self-controlled players take their tantrums out on the water cooler.

No doubt he's fun for Nat's fans to watch, when he hasn't been ejected. ;)

dileonardoja Thu Aug 30, 2012 09:17am

IMO that ejection was Horse Crap. CB was too quick with the hook. If he delayed for a second or two he would have realized that BH was mad at himself and not the call. The league will take care of it with a fine. This isn't HS where you CANeject for removing the helmet in LBT but usually after a warning. This is a case of OOO and putting the screws to a Rookie who may already have a less than stellar rep althought that was his first EJ

BTW I am not a fan of the Nats or BH.

CT1 Thu Aug 30, 2012 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dileonardoja (Post 852866)
This is a case of OOO and putting the screws to a Rookie who may already have a less than stellar rep althought that was his first EJ.

Regardless of his motive, he needs to learn the consequences of that action. Suppose the helmet had richocheted into the umpire's face (or crotch, for that matter)?

Personally, I think Harper is a passionate, hard-nosed throwback type of player, and I echo the hope that he finds a good mentor to show him the ropes.

MD Longhorn Thu Aug 30, 2012 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dileonardoja (Post 852866)
IMO that ejection was Horse Crap. CB was too quick with the hook. If he delayed for a second or two he would have realized that BH was mad at himself and not the call. The league will take care of it with a fine. This isn't HS where you CANeject for removing the helmet in LBT but usually after a warning. This is a case of OOO and putting the screws to a Rookie who may already have a less than stellar rep althought that was his first EJ

BTW I am not a fan of the Nats or BH.

Throwing equipment while on the field is an ejection at any level. Like it was said earlier, mature players can make it to the dugout before blowing up. The umpire should not have to ask himself what a player's motivation is for throwing stuff. Toss and move on.

mbyron Thu Aug 30, 2012 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 852868)
Throwing equipment while on the field is an ejection at any level. Like it was said earlier, mature players can make it to the dugout before blowing up. The umpire should not have to ask himself what a player's motivation is for throwing stuff. Toss and move on.

Absolutely. It's on Harper 100% to be angry with himself somewhere else. Righteous EJ at every level, and any umpire who puts up with such displays fails to understand game management and can look forward to some long and unpleasant games.

APG Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13am

Quote:

If your skill set was as rare and in demand, and millions of dollars were sunk into/will be sunk into you for the foreseeable future, then I'd imagine an employer would give one a pass.

As to the play in question, it's not the most egregious offense (as I do believe he threw the helmet in frustration due to hitting into the DP), but I don't really have a problem with an ejection. If one doesn't want to be ejected, don't do an act where you have to put an official in a position to make a judgement.

legend Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:37am

Proper onfield decorum shouldn't just be expected from seasoned vets. It seems like this kid has been given a pass at every level from the time he started playing, With the old excuse that he plays 100% on every play, plays with passion, etc. None of these are reasons that should allow for basically a temper tantrum because he didn't have a call go his way. He is gaining a rep. for being a hot head and its not going to be easy for him to change that first impressions.

rbmartin Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38am

I was pleasantly surprised with Davey Johnson's comments after the game. Pretty much what was said here. He needs to control himself better. Didn't fault the umpire at all in postgame.

ozzy6900 Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42am

Quote:

..... I wonder how my employer would handle it if I threw staplers, lamps and keyboards from my desk when I got pissed off, regardless of the reason.

Exactly! We can't throw things around on our job when things don't go our way, why should baseball players be allowed to? I'm not going to stand there and try and analyze why the player threw the helmet, I'm going to dump him and his manager if he doesn't like it!

Publius Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38am

Yikes.

If I used the CB standard, I'd have about two dozen more ejections per year.

That was weak at any level where the players have two digits in their age. If a player doesn't look at me, doesn't gesture, doesn't say anything, and the equipment is thrown down (i.e., not across the diamond), that's frustration with himself and does not need to be punished.

UES Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:10pm

Ozzy: "I'm not going to stand there and try and analyze why the player threw the helmet, I'm going to dump him and his manager if he doesn't like it!"

That is the difference between an amatuer umpire and a professional one. The amatuer automatically ejects...pretty easy to do and doesn't require much thought. Professional umpires are PAID to think about the situation, analyze and then determine the appropriate action. You think like an amateur umpire and that may be ok at the level(s) of games that you work. However, CB is a MLB umpire who is paid a lot of money to think before he reacts. In my opinion, he handled that situation in amateur like manner... which is not expected from a MLB umpire.

mbyron Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 852880)
Yikes.

If I used the CB standard, I'd have about two dozen more ejections per year.

That was weak at any level where the players have two digits in their age. If a player doesn't look at me, doesn't gesture, doesn't say anything, and the equipment is thrown down (i.e., not across the diamond), that's frustration with himself and does not need to be punished.

How funny: my first thought was kinda the opposite. Bucknor's EJ of Harper for this makes my job easier.