The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well I do not know what MLB procedures and I honestly do not care what they are. Just saying what I am going to do. Procedures from MLB might be different and might had a different way to handle these situations. And if you have never seen anyone go up to the the stands before, you must have missed the Artest incident in Detroit and a later incident in Chicago with another player. Players have and will go up into the stands and confront fans. I would rather do something immediately than have a riot on my hands later.

Peace
Ron Artest had a beer thrown at him. There is an enormously high liklihood that guy would have been arrested immediately in that situation. If Miller Park and Major League Baseball say it is someone else's job to police drunkien fans...then it is someone else's job to police drunken fans.

Bob Davidson is not a hero...he is a buffoon. This was all about him performing for the camera.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Ron Artest had a beer thrown at him. There is an enormously high liklihood that guy would have been arrested immediately in that situation. If Miller Park and Major League Baseball say it is someone else's job to police drunkien fans...then it is someone else's job to police drunken fans.

Bob Davidson is not a hero...he is a buffoon. This was all about him performing for the camera.
I guess that settles it for me. You seem to have all the info on the situation.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Which part did I get wrong?
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 04:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You are making assumptions I cannot make. I do not know Bob D or know his character. I have never met the man or know what makes him tick. I would never claim why someone is doing something from afar.

Also I have been in much smaller confines as an official and the people that are involved in security do not hear things they are sometimes closer than those on the court or field. And this is not about being drunk, this is about saying something inappropriate that is heard. He had a right to take care of this himself unless you know of some policy by MLB that says he cannot point out such action.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

It's a small fraternity in the Bigs and if a fan is messing with a player, the umps are going to take care of it, if they have to. Molina is back there keeping Davidson safe and Davidson is going to take care of him over a dumbass jerk in the first row.

I didn't realize that JWWashburn was a scab. That explains alot of his posts.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, Kevin, we are not major league umpires. The highest level I ever worked was a few Minor League gamjes as a fill in many years ago. I worked some small college but the vast majority of what I have worked has been HS and below. The standards at a HS game are far different than at a major Lague game. First of all, I would hear someone being vulgar or profane and I would dump him.

Davidson wanted a show. If it was that important to dump this supposed roudy fan who supposedly was vulgar, then he could have handled it many ways...all of them except the one he used would not have drawn attention to himself. He wanted to draw attention to himself. Between innings instead of spreading his feathers like a peacock, he could have asked a cop in or by the dugout to dump the guy...he would not have had to point, even. This was all about Boorish Bob. He is a hack. I was actually with two umpire friends when we heard sbout this on the radio and we all knew it was this loser that had done it.

So, for those that back Davidosn on this-What should happen the next time ol' Bob lets loose on one of his vulgarity laced tirades?
He was going to do it between innings, but it threatened to get out of hand, so, like a man with a set of stones, he acted, so a man with a set of clubs wouldn't.

As you stated, you believe all swearing is the same, and everything Davidson does is objectionable. That reeks of bias, and puritanism, so with your inability to be unbiased, and your inability to digest adult language, perhaps baseball isn't the right game for you.

You are obviously giving this a cursory and narrow look. Try harder.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 06:09pm.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
If that were the case, Tom Gamboa would have never been attacked.

The drunk was all over Molina, Davidson used a little preventative action to correct the problem.
You highlighted the most naive and ridiculous of all of this guy's statements on this matter! Wow! The ever-present ballpark security guards--the best and the brightest! Yeah, they'll handle everything.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which part did I get wrong?
Naw, maybe this one's the most ridiculous.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realistic View Post
It's a small fraternity in the Bigs and if a fan is messing with a player, the umps are going to take care of it, if they have to. Molina is back there keeping Davidson safe and Davidson is going to take care of him over a dumbass jerk in the first row.

I didn't realize that JWWashburn was a scab. That explains alot of his posts.
Bara bing!
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

By both tradition and the written rule, an umpire's authority does not extend to fans unless they trespass on the field.

As one major leauge umpire said, "Only Bob."

MLB will either fine Davidson, or issue a statement supporting his action as warranted in an "unique" situation. If he is fined, it will most likely not be made public as is MLB's custom.

In either case, I'll wager this is his last season.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take that wager. How about a beer at the place of your choosing?
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
I'll take that wager. How about a beer at the place of your choosing?
1047 Main Street, Buffalo.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

You're on.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
1047 Main Street, Buffalo.
Hold on here, I was born and raised in that town and most of my family still lives there. I'm betting that address is the Anchor Bar.

Count me in Baby, and I will buy the first round of wings and brew.

I was a regular in the late 60's and 70's.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
What are you saying? It is okay to say anything at a MLB park today?
First off, no it is not okay, and that is why they have ushers and security people to deal with issues like this. My impression is it is their job to deal with this stuff, not an umpire trying to call a professional game.

Second, I am surprised that Mr. Davidson found the right person to eject, in a park with 10-20k people in it. If he got the right guy, great.

Third, weren't you taught not to get involved with policing the stands or fans unless there is a major problem in them? Normally IMO you should ignore the fans unless there is some very, very good reason to have to deal with them, esp, in an MLB park. In HS sports, you are always told to get a site manager or head coach to deal with the problem. NCAA Baseball is the same way.

Fourth, Mr. Davidson is really going against standard practice, and where do you draw the line? If some fan in the 4th row calls him #$$&##@&%@&**), does this ejection allow him to start throwing out paying customers? It's a slippery slope he is close to getting on, I hope he is careful.

That is all I am saying. And MLB brass have not liked things umpires have done in the past, and have fined umps and even suspended them. I could see Mr. Davidson getting fined for this act, if for no other reason than to make clear this is not an umpire's job, to deal with bad behavior off the field by fans, unless it affects play on the field.
Closed Thread