The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #76 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:57pm
Moderator M-800
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
nor should he feel it is not within the scope of his duties to do so.
Except that it isn't.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
  #77 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 03:30pm
APG's Avatar
APG APG is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
If some millionaire cannot take a moron yelling at him, that is his problem...not the umpire.
Millions or not, every person has a breaking point. Having a lot of money doesn't make one immune.

I also find it interesting how this would be received much differently in another sport. I'm mainly speaking of basketball since in football, there's usually a buffer zone between the fans and the players/officials.

If this was done in an NBA game, then this would be a footnote in the game notes. In fact, this happened in a regular season game this past year in Portland where a couple was ejected from the game. Now I don't know the procedure for MLB. I feel the powers that be would have a hard time punishing Bob Davidson for being proactive here where game management wasn't. They'd rather have a few people make a fuss about an umpire taking care of business rather than one of their players going into the stands to take care of business.
  #78 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,117
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty
nor should he feel it is not within the scope of his duties to do so.

mbcrowder: Except that it isn't.

Why quibble over the minor details that the umpire has no authority, no training and no business doing this?
  #79 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 04:01pm
JJ JJ is offline
Veteran College Umpire
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IN
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I think the fan should have been ejected if he was actually saying that stuff. I would be awfully surprised if it was really that bad because I think someone would have turned him in.
Hmmm....isn't that what Davidson did?

JJ
  #80 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 04:58pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Question: If Davidson acted beyond his authority, wouldn't MLB discipline him somehow? If they don't discipline him, wouldn't that mean it is within his authority?

I work HS hoops, and he wouldn't have made it though my game either. Buying a ticket doesn't give someone a license to be a jerk; and being a millionaire doesn't mean a player should have to deal with that BS from a drunk fan who obviously still has no clue what's appropriate and what isn't.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
  #81 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:18pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The park is named after a brand of beer.
So are the ones in Colorado and St. Louis. What's your point?
__________________
I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?
  #82 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Well, Kevin, we are not major league umpires. The highest level I ever worked was a few Minor League gamjes as a fill in many years ago. I worked some small college but the vast majority of what I have worked has been HS and below.
Just curious as to what capacity you acted as a MiBL "fill in"? Usually, the only senario where an umpire, who is primarily a HS guy with small college experience, had that opportunity to "fill in" was as a scab (someone who crosses the picket line of striking union workers).
  #83 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:41pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,263
Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I am not sure what you mean by the term scab.
Don't try and play the "I don't know card". You have gone on record in the past defending the scab umpires that crossed the picket lines during the MiLB strike a few years ago. You've also made mention that it was the unions that caused the collapse of the auto making industry in Detroit, which isn't even remotely true.

It would seem to me you are very anti-union and think "scabbing" is perfectly alright in your book. You must be a very far to right conservative Republican to make these outlandish statements.

FWIW, I don't think Davidson has the authority to really have someone removed from the stadium. However, that doesn't give the fan the right to make a public nuisance of themselves. I'm sure stadium police and security had the final say whether said fan is removed or not. Davidson only did what by pointing the fan out, the many others around the guy would have probably done later.
__________________
I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?
  #84 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Just curious as to what capacity you acted as a MiBL "fill in"? Usually, the only senario where an umpire, who is primarily a HS guy with small college experience, had that opportunity to "fill in" was as a scab (someone who crosses the picket line of striking union workers).
Nope, no picket lines.

I decided to do a few MiLB games when asked because the MiLB guys decided to come compete with me for HS Games. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  #85 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,729
Ooops!

Quote:
"Just curious as to what capacity you acted as a MiBL "fill in"?"
UTT be a little careful . . . here in Portland last summer we had one of our better college umpires work more than 25 games in the PCL . . . and that's AAA level baseball.

I also know of a few guys that post here that are in towns with AA teams and they have also been asked to fill in.

I filled in in the California Long A in the '80s and did 25 games.

ALTHOUGH Washburn shows his true colors and admits to scabbing games in his latest post.

T
  #86 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
UTT be a little careful . . . here in Portland last summer we had one of our better college umpires work more than 25 games in the PCL . . . and that's AAA level baseball.

I also know of a few guys that post here that are in towns with AA teams and they have also been asked to fill in.

I filled in in the California Long A in the '80s and did 25 games.

ALTHOUGH Washburn shows his true colors and admits to scabbing games in his latest post.

T
That's right Tim. I showed my true colors by working games that no one else wanted to work. I showed my true colors by saying that I did something that was the 100% right thing to do.

You show your true colors by calling me a name like a school child instead of actually having the discussion. The same reason that union thugs want Card Check...to force people to do what they want instead of persuading them with logic and reason-because theere is no logic and reason to your case.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 06:29pm.
  #87 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
That's right Tim. I showed my true colors by working games that no one else wanted to work. I showed my true colors by saying that I did something that was the 100% right thing to do.

You show your true colors by calling me a name like a school child instead of actually having the discussion. The same reason that union thugs want Card Check...to force people to do what they want instead of persuading them with logic and reason-because theere is no logic and reason to your case.

You repeatedly called Davidson a cartoon but when someone calls you a name, they're like a school child.
  #88 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
So are the ones in Colorado and St. Louis. What's your point?
It doesn't take much to get that point.

Oh, you're just being contentious. What a surprise.
  #89 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Except that it isn't.
Keeping a player or players from enforcing it themselves is most definitely the umpire's responsibility once the security force failed to address it. Davidson did not involve himself with the fan in any way. He engaged an on-field figure acting as a security person and directed him to solve what could soon be a major problem.

So if a slur is hurled at a player in a game you are running, you just wish he would stop or go away, and you go about your business? Well, you just keep doing it that way, and we'll keep doing what's right in the rare case that a fan hurls a slur at someone.
  #90 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
UTT be a little careful . . . here in Portland last summer we had one of our better college umpires work more than 25 games in the PCL . . . and that's AAA level baseball.

I also know of a few guys that post here that are in towns with AA teams and they have also been asked to fill in.

I filled in in the California Long A in the '80s and did 25 games.

ALTHOUGH Washburn shows his true colors and admits to scabbing games in his latest post.

T
I understand what you are saying and know that there are fill ins. However, they are not low level college and HS umpires.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bob Davidson MD Longhorn Baseball 37 Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27am
Davidson does it again! SanDiegoSteve Baseball 2 Sat Mar 18, 2006 03:23am
ejecting a player for being inept... Dakota Softball 8 Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:35pm
Ejecting a Coach before a game? brumey1107 Baseball 6 Tue Jun 11, 2002 03:43pm
ejecting a coach johnfox Basketball 20 Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:40am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1