Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 01:19pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Keeping the count.

Plate umpire techniques?

When do you advance your indicator?

What is your routine?

I'm finding that when things occur during an at bat...I'm sometimes forgetting the count or remembering if I've advanced my indicator or not. An example might be a botched squeeze that involves a run down with lots of stuff occurring at almost the same time as the pitch.

I don't trust the scoreboard because usually it's wrong more than it's right.

So is there technique or routine that you use to make sure you're keeping the count? I'm not saying it happens all the time...but I have lost the count a couple of times this year when plays occur in addition to the pitch and want to try and mitigate that from happening.

Thanks
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

When a ball occurs, i say "ball", then move the indicator.
When a strike occurs, i say "strike" (or not for swinging), then move the indicator.

If there's any other easier way to do this, I'd be shocked.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I move the indicator as I call the pitch. I give the count every other pitch and say it to myself every pitch.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 06:00pm
Veteran College Umpire

I give the count more with runners on base - that's when it's easiest to lose track....and I usually glance at the scoreboard when I give it to make sure we match....

JJ
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I give the count more with runners on base - that's when it's easiest to lose track....and I usually glance at the scoreboard when I give it to make sure we match....

JJ
In our softball group we teach:

Give the count audibly only when the count is x-2 or 3-x, with particular emphasis on the 3-2 count, which we tell NEVER to announce as 'full count'..

if the B has fouled off several pitches on 3-x or x-2 DON'T keep giving the count - repetition is tedious....you can however remind the B and C.....

If there has ever been any kind of break in action, THEN you can announce any count at such time...
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 08:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't see why anyone would try to control or restrict how often the count is given.

I remember Jim Evans as an umpire - he gave the count on just about every pitch. Who cares if it's repetitive?

I give it as often as I like.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Whats an indicator?

From what I have read of most of your threads, you seem quite on top of your game and knowledgeable of the umpiring profession. Throw that crutch out and use your brain. 18 years ago I tossed it in my bag and haven't used it since. I give the count often and can honestly tell you that I have made less mistakes without it than with it. At 60 I can still call any type of ball out there and not make mistakers with the count.

I know there are those that will tell you differently and if carrying an indaclickercounter works for them than thats fine. I'm just passing on some info.

I use the same technique on the bases and helps me concentrate more and help anticipate what I may expect with each pitch.

Good Luck
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 11:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Whats an indicator?

From what I have read of most of your threads, you seem quite on top of your game and knowledgeable of the umpiring profession. Throw that crutch out and use your brain. 18 years ago I tossed it in my bag and haven't used it since. I give the count often and can honestly tell you that I have made less mistakes without it than with it. At 60 I can still call any type of ball out there and not make mistakers with the count.

I know there are those that will tell you differently and if carrying an indaclickercounter works for them than thats fine. I'm just passing on some info.

I use the same technique on the bases and helps me concentrate more and help anticipate what I may expect with each pitch.

Good Luck
Thanks for the advice and kind words. I guess at this point for me it's the "off season" there are things like this that I've always tried to work through on my own, but have never really received any advice or training on some of the finer points of umpiring. Yeah, it's basic...yeah, I know...advance the indicator, don't use one, etc...I guess I don't find any harm in asking the question versus pretending to know the answer if there is a better way out there to do something, why not ask and find out? Maybe after reading this, I find out that I'm doing it the "right way" maybe not, but at least now that I've asked, I have more information to decide of there's a better way.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Right on.

If there is anything I have learned about officiating, its these two things:

1. Always expect the unexpected.
2. There is always something new to learn.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I change my counter just after the event is called - ball,strike ,out etc. I like to give the count after every pitch except the first one. I do not use a counter on the bases. I have been doing this (except no counter on bases) for over 21 years.
Just started the bases thing last year to conform with Baseball Canada .
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
In our softball group we teach:

Give the count audibly only when the count is x-2 or 3-x, with particular emphasis on the 3-2 count, which we tell NEVER to announce as 'full count'..

if the B has fouled off several pitches on 3-x or x-2 DON'T keep giving the count - repetition is tedious....you can however remind the B and C.....

If there has ever been any kind of break in action, THEN you can announce any count at such time...
Wow. Does one of the "A's" in ASA stand for anal?
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't see why anyone would try to control or restrict how often the count is given.

I remember Jim Evans as an umpire - he gave the count on just about every pitch. Who cares if it's repetitive?

I give it as often as I like.
I agree and I too have found that by giving he count more often, it keeps me on track more. Baseball is a very slow game, lots goes on between pitches etc., so anything to keep the mind engaged is a good thing.

thanks
David
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you ever have the privilege to work with JJ, just do not, I repeat, do not ask him for assistance on what the count is........ You have been warned!!!!
Old Sun Sep 05, 2010, 10:41pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
If you ever have the privilege to work with JJ, just do not, I repeat, do not ask him for assistance on what the count is........ You have been warned!!!!
Hey, you asked me that ONE time, and I held up ten fingers so you could take your pick.....

JJ
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I hate holding my indicator in my hand so I keep it in my left side ball bag and after every pitch I change it and put it back in my bag.