The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   No thread about Bob Davidson ejecting a fan? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/59046-no-thread-about-bob-davidson-ejecting-fan.html)

briancurtin Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:03pm

No thread about Bob Davidson ejecting a fan?

Man, you guys are slipping...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | STL@MIL: Ejections aplenty on, off field in Milwaukee - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

grunewar Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:37pm

First I've Seen of it

My son and I watched the highlights......quite entertaining! :rolleyes:

JJ Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:47pm

Maybe he needed more material for his book...:D

JJ

jwwashburn Wed Sep 08, 2010 09:42pm

Davidson is a cartoon

JRutledge Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:03pm

To be fair, do we know what he ejected him for?

Peace

yawetag Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 691570)
To be fair, do we know what he ejected him for?

Supposedly, a homophobic comment: Davidson says he ejected fan because of slur - Welcome to Charter.net

jkumpire Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45am

That's a tough sell in an MLB park, but if he heard it, and his bosses buy the report....

JRutledge Thu Sep 09, 2010 01:02am

That is good enough for me if he ejected him on that basis. This is why I do not jump to conclusions on things like this because I would have done the very same thing if players in the game were called certain things. ;)

Peace

GoodwillRef Thu Sep 09, 2010 06:28am

I live in WI and at Brewer games ushers don't to a very good job of policing drunk fans...they usually choose to ignore them.

GoodwillRef Thu Sep 09, 2010 06:29am

Good for Davidson...I thought all three ejections he had were legit.

GoodwillRef Thu Sep 09, 2010 06:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 691580)
That's a tough sell in an MLB park, but if he heard it, and his bosses buy the report....

What are you saying? It is okay to say anything at a MLB park today?

BK47 Thu Sep 09, 2010 06:40am

quite hilarious. I saw the thread made national news on my yahoo the other day however did not watch it untill now. Thanks Brian for the humor.

on a different note, what do you guys think of the first play with Craig Counsell? Seems like the correct call as he appeared to not even attempt to touch the bag. His body was facing center field and looked a good 2-4 feet behind the base. If he had at least tried to stretch his arm out and try to touch the base then the call would not have been made. But he made no attempt.

tjones1 Thu Sep 09, 2010 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 691575)

Fair enough.

I was watching the game when it happened. The announcers were saying stupid stuff (these were Cardinal's announcers) ... but that's nothing new.

When it happened, I just figured the dude had a laser pointer or something like that...

jwwashburn Thu Sep 09, 2010 09:43am

A "homophobic slur"?

I am really afraid of those ******s? Or, did he call Davidson a ******?

If this is reported widly, I can guarandamntee you that Bob has heard only the beginning of this.

Doesn't a Major League umpire have anything better to do than listen to fan comments, get offended and then actually try to figure out who said it?

Davidson is a cartoon.

rbmartin Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23am

Quote:

9.01 (a) The league president shall appoint one or more umpires to officiate at each league championship game. The umpires shall be responsible for the conduct of the game in accordance with these official rules and for maintaining discipline and order on the playing field during the game.
(b) Each umpire is the representative of the league and of professional baseball, and is authorized and required to enforce all of these rules. Each umpire has authority to order a player, coach, manager or club officer or employee to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of these rules, and to enforce the prescribed penalties.
(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.
(d) Each umpire has authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager or substitute for objecting to decisions or for unsportsmanlike conduct or language, and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field. If an umpire disqualifies a player while a play is in progress, the disqualification shall not take effect until no further action is possible in that play.
(e) Each umpire has authority at his discretion to eject from the playing field
(1) any person whose duties permit his presence on the field, such as ground crew members, ushers, photographers, newsmen, broadcasting crew members, etc., and
(2) any spectator or other person not authorized to be on the playing field.
I'm sorry. I dont see anything here directing the umpire to police the language of the fans unless it is impeding the game in some manner. And please dont use the "(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules." argument. What's next , the umpire dictating the price the vendor asks for peanuts?
Unless the language is in some way making it impossible to play or officiate the game, let the police and stadium authorities excercise crowd control, Umpires take care of what happens on the field.