The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Check this out (saw this on the Fast Pitch Forum)..

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...425671,00.html

Comments?
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

1..Sure there was a precendence. The PU did this earlier in a baseball game.

2.."Coach, your catcher is having a problem catching the ball. Either replace her with someone who can catch, or I'll finish the game behind the pitcher."

Bob
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Let me preface this as saying a few of the coaches on that board stood solely on the point that the rule book does not allow an umpire to eject a player for being inept. Below is my response on FPF:

First, most rule books have a savings clause similar to ASA's 10.1 which authorized the plate umpire to make decisions on any situations not specifically covered by the rules. I do not have a NFHS book available, so I could not tell you if there is something of that nature available to the umpire in a Fed game.

Second, I do not think the umpire handled the situation properly.

The coach should have been approached about the problem and at some point simply told the coach the player was no longer eligible to fill the catching position in that game. Not ejected, not necessarily out of the game, just not allowed to catch.

The coach must bear some responsibility to field that position with a player with some resemblance of the ability to handle the position. If the catcher is so inept that an umpire is vulnerable, how vulnerable is the player to possible injury.

As any catcher can show and tell her coach, the equipment they and the umpire wear does not provide all the protection some believe it does. Both rely heavily on the catcher actually being able to get a glove on the ball.

JMHO

Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a true story relating to this type of situation.

A buddy of mine showed up to do a 12U rec league game, started the game and was hit by the first several pitches becuase the catcher did not catch them. He calls time and talks to the coach:

"Coach, let's get another player in there to catch!"

Coach: Both of regular catchers are not here and she is the only one who volunteered to catch today.

Ump: Give me one of your spare gloves.

Coach: What?!?

Ump: If she can't catch the ball, I'm going to. I'm getting killed back here.

He worked the remainder of the game with a mitt on and caught and dropped any ball (almost every pitch) that got by the catcher. The other coach wasn't too happy, but since he won big, he did not complain too much.

True story....
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Been There, Done That (Baseball)

A young man I taught to be a pitcher was now 15, 6'1", and throwing in excess of 80 mph. Behind the plate was a scrawny (and scared) 13 YO who was maybe 5'4" and 130 lbs. I'm 6'1" and 260 and I am becoming a backstop for this catcher who sometimes doesn't even move when a high hard one comes by.

Several of those pitches went by my ear sounding like a swarm of angry bees; several more nicked me. Finally a high hard one drilled me smack in the middle of the mask and I landed flat on my back.

Got up, never said a word to anyone, walked over to the bench and told the coach to "put another catcher in there or I'm outta here." Got a new catcher w/no discussion.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

I was PU in a game this year (12U ASA Rec) where I got hit more than I did the rest of the season.............

I did ***** to the coaches.........and was pretty much told that because of sickness and school functions, that was the best they could do..........

I will say this.........at least they got better as the game progressed.........I got drilled in the left wrist the first pitch of the game.............sigh

Joel
Old Wed Sep 25, 2002, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Unhappy

I was calling an invitational when the catcher on a good 14U 'A' team decided she was tired and would not move her glove on the corners. Well, after several minor hits, I caught a 55 MPH Fastball on the inside (ball-left handed batter) on the right forearm. I had to temporarily stop the game to shake my arm and stop seeing lightning bolts and stars. Then I walked over to her coach and said as calmly as I could, "Coach put in another catcher as she needs to sit". He knew and immediately put in his back up. I continued the game (they won) and the coach, his assistants and the catcher's parents apologized to me after the game as I was on my way upstairs to the cool air conditioning and an ice pack!!! One of the worst injuries I've ever had as an umpire.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

First pitch of the first game of the high school baseball season. The catcher ducked a high strike when the batter offered and missed, the ball went between my throat gaurd and adams apple I was done for the rest of the game because I went to the doctor. My partner finished the game. behind the pitcher. He started out behind the plate but was beat up so bad by that catcher he had to move. He latter told me that the catcher was afraid of being hit by the bat when it was swung. Players should not be out there if they are scared. My throat was bruised and hurt for the next three weeks. I also had to overcome a slight flinching problem after that. I worked though it. If I ever have a Problem with a catcher now I tell the coach change him or I will leave.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 10:35pm
Administrator

The problem stated in the opening of the thread is a difficult situation to deal with. I can live with players at the younger age groups who are still learing the cather's position, but by the time their are at the varsity level and sometimes at the jr. varsity level, the player should be "skilled" at the position.

But I have two of my own horror stories. In both instances it involved jr. varsity baseball games and the play was the same: the catcher set up for an outside pitch and both times the pitch came straight down the middle and the catcher never made any attempt to move his glove over to catch the ball; the catcher just let the pitch come straight down the middle and senile old me didn't realize the catcher was not going to attempt the catch the ball until it was too late. Both of these plays occured early in the games involved and in the second instance, my forearm was so swollen by the end of the game I had to go to the hospital to see if I had a broken arm. Needless to say I let the player's coach know in no uncertain terms that if his catcher didn't start doing his job that he would have to find a new catcher. It was amazing how good these two catcher became after the possibility of ejection became real.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio