The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 06:40am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Not that this is anything to be proud of.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I once had the "honor" of sitting near the "Bleacher Creatures". To say they are the most moronic or baseball fans in both an understatement and incomplete.

One would have to add, the most vile, vulgar, bigotted, mean-spirited, souless and despicable to come close to capturing their true personna
I'll see your "Bleacher Creatures" and raise you Philadelphia Phillies "fans"......They have traveled to Baltimore and Washington in droves to see their team play over the yrs - which is admirable. But, their behavior is mostly embarassing.

I was at one game many yrs ago where the crowd was THE largest in the history of the NEW Camden Yards......it also held the record for the most fights and most arrests.

And, while I live in N VA now, I lived and grew-up in east-central PA so I am not a basher as I have been to many a game at the ole - Vet Stadium.

PS - How many away, baseball games break out in a loud football team chant? E - A - G - L - E - S........ Eagles! Wild! and not family entertainment.

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 06:42am.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 07:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'll see your "Bleacher Creatures" and raise you Philadelphia Phillies "fans"......They have traveled to Baltimore and Washington in droves to see their team play over the yrs - which is admirable. But, their behavior is mostly embarassing.

I was at one game many yrs ago where the crowd was THE largest in the history of the NEW Camden Yards......it also held the record for the most fights and most arrests.

And, while I live in N VA now, I lived and grew-up in east-central PA so I am not a basher as I have been to many a game at the ole - Vet Stadium.

PS - How many away, baseball games break out in a loud football team chant? E - A - G - L - E - S........ Eagles! Wild! and not family entertainment.
Growing up near Philadelphia and being a lifelong Phillies and Eagles fan, I'm aware of the reputation of the "700 level" of the old Vet. The Eagles fans are the worst, but I haven't gone to a game either at the Vet or at the Linc. Baseball games at CBP are actually quite tame in comparison. Of course, it's easy now when the team is as good as it is.

My experience didn't have to do with the Bleacher sitters in Yankee Stadium. I was in the upper deck down the foul line. This was the guy sitting behind me:

Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

What if baseball did have a clock? Hypothetical...let's say 2hr, 40min clock.

There are no "time out's for the clock. Live/dead balls - yes - but the clock keeps ticking. No time out for the clock. Not even for commercials or injuries ( I know - but let's have some fun with this). In the case of an injured player the ball is dead but the clock keeps ticking.

The game ends at 2:40, so long as it is an official game and both teams have had an equal number of at bats. In cases where the clock expires during an active inning the team at bat will be allowed to complete their turn. Should the home team be ahead at such time the visitors have completed their clock-expired time at bat they shall be declared the winner, or if they are tied or behind, the home team shall be allowed one final clock-expired time at bat. If during the home team clock-expired time at bat they score a go-ahead run the game shall be over with the home team being declared the winner. If after the home team completes their clock-expired time at bat they are still behind the visitors shall be declared the winner. If the game is tied at the end of that clock-expired inning the decision shall be declared a tie.

Should a game reach a conclusion of 9 innings with the home team ahead or behind in less than 2:40 the game shall be over. However, if the game is tied and time remains on the clock, additional innings may be played until the home team is ahead or the clock expires. In cases where the clock expires
and the visitors are ahead or the game is tied, the inning shall continue until both teams have had an equal number of at bats or the home team goes ahead. Regardless of the outcome the inning in progress will become the last inning. If the game is tied at the end of that clock-expired inning, when both teams have completed their at bats, the decision shall be declared a tie. If the visitors are ahead they shall be the winner, and vice-versa.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviverito View Post
What if baseball did have a clock?
Then it wouldn't be baseball.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

What's the question?

Thousands of youth-level games are played under similar rules every week. We see the problems the time limits cause. It would be worse at the pro level.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What's the question?

Thousands of youth-level games are played under similar rules every week. We see the problems the time limits cause. It would be worse at the pro level.
Agreed. I don't want it or think it could work. Just having fun with it.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The NBA's brand of basketball has become a sad joke on what was once a wonderful game.
Indeed.

A shiny new nickel to the first person who can tell me the last time travelling was called in the NBA.

1998? 1993?
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Indeed.

A shiny new nickel to the first person who can tell me the last time travelling was called in the NBA.

1998? 1993?
Every NBA game I have watched. And I do not watch them very often as I am a fan of college and high school more than the NBA. I see that called all the time. What needs to be asked is when was the last time an umpire at the pro or college level enforced the time limit on pitching or being ready to hit the ball in the time limit that is already on the books? That is a better question.

MLB could change this problem tomorrow if they enforced rules and supported their umpires when those rules are enforced.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Every NBA game I have watched....I see that called all the time.
Poppycock. The NBA has become, as the person above stated, a joke.

But back to topic. MLB needs to work on the time issues.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 03:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Poppycock. The NBA has become, as the person above stated, a joke.

But back to topic. MLB needs to work on the time issues.
It is clear you do not watch much basketball, so it really is not my concern if you believe it or not. Just know that it is called all the time if you watch games, instead of listen to media people that would not know a travel if it slapped them in the face at any level.

And yes they need to work on their time issue and the reason they lose a lot of people to other sports. Games should not take 4 hours unless there are 20 runs a game between the two teams.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it is called all the time
Sure, once a guy has taken 4 or 5 steps.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 09:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm a Phillies fan and was watching the home opener on MLB Extra Innings today while trying to get some work done for my day job.

Howard was batting and Paul Schreiber called a ball on a pitch that, according to PitchFX, was at the knee. Two pitches later, Howard got a hit.

Riggleman came out to the mound and waited for Schreiber. He got about 5 words out and Schreiber tossed him. The announcers then spent the next 10 minutes ripping the crew and especially Joe West, who was at the mound coming in to play rodeo clown, if needed after the ejection. It got ugly -- both announcers were ripping West and saying how out of line he was and maybe the games would be quicker if they called more strikes.

For the Nationals, of course.

That loser franchise has a perfect set of (loser) announcers.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Sure, once a guy has taken 4 or 5 steps.
Just so you know traveling is based on the pivot foot and control of the ball, not steps. But then again you knew that right?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Which would explain a lot in the NBA and guys running with the ball halfway around the court with no travelling being called.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just so you know traveling is based on the pivot foot and control of the ball, not steps. But then again you knew that right?

Peace
To be fair, under NBA rules, a player is allowed two steps after the ball is gathered. So a player could gather the ball with their right foot on the ground and would be allowed to step on their left which would be the pivot foot. In college and high school, that right foot would be the pivot foot. But you are right that travels are called every game.