The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I went to the referenced story and found:

During spring training, Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon told WEEI.com: "Have you ever gone to watch a movie and thought, 'Man, this movie is so good I wish it would have never ended.' That's like a Red Sox-Yankees game. Why would you want it to end?"

Way to go Jonathan!

From a Yankee perspective: Watch a replay of the July 1 game where Jeter dove into the stands. Or watch the Bucky Dent game with Yaz popping up in the bottom of the ninth.

A Sox fan would add their memories - like the comeback from 0-3.

Tell Joe we don't care. It's Yankees-Red Sox.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post

Football has a lot of down time. Actually, the average offense/defense is only playing about 20 minutes of the game. Much of it is standing around and letting the clock go down. Not to mention the clock stopping for incompletes and out of bounds. It is perceived different but it is very similar. An average of 30 or more seconds is wasted between each play. That adds up.
This is true. NFL games in person can be very boring at times. Commercials after every punt, every change of possession, etc. I took my wife to her first NFL game a couple of years ago and she said "It's fun but they really stand around a lot".
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 10:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

That's a good point...any Div I football game or NFL game in person has quite a bit of down time...and you can't really leave your seat for fear of missing the "big play"
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 05:15am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
First NFL Game in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
This is true. NFL games in person can be very boring at times. Commercials after every punt, every change of possession, etc. I took my wife to her first NFL game a couple of years ago and she said "It's fun but they really stand around a lot".
When I was in the military (1980s), my buds and I crossed the channel from Germany and went to the first NFL game in Wembley Stadium - Cardinals vs Vikings. We had a blast.

We sat with a bunch of Brits who agreed (my recollection) to keep us in beer as long as we explained the game to them as it went along! How great is that.

Opening kickoff. Tackle. TWEET! One guy turns to me and says, "Where are they all going?"

I said, "What?"

He said, "The players, they're leaving the field. Where are they going?"

I said, "Oh. Those were the kickoff teams. Now, the offense and defense are coming on the field."

He said, "Oh, ok, in Rugby we just keep going. I don't see the point....."

It was great fun, best I can recall......

Yep, there is a lot of downtime in all sports - especially tv games.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Opening kickoff. Tackle. TWEET! One guy turns to me and says, "Where are they all going?"

I said, "What?"

He said, "The players, they're leaving the field. Where are they going?"

I said, "Oh. Those were the kickoff teams. Now, the offense and defense are coming on the field."

He said, "Oh, ok, in Rugby we just keep going. I don't see the point....."
A Brit I know once described football as the quintessential American sport: "it features episodes of extreme violence, interrupted by a committee meeting."

Brilliant.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 09:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I went to the referenced story and found:

During spring training, Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon told WEEI.com: "Have you ever gone to watch a movie and thought, 'Man, this movie is so good I wish it would have never ended.' That's like a Red Sox-Yankees game. Why would you want it to end?"

Way to go Jonathan!

From a Yankee perspective: Watch a replay of the July 1 game where Jeter dove into the stands. Or watch the Bucky Dent game with Yaz popping up in the bottom of the ninth.

A Sox fan would add their memories - like the comeback from 0-3.

Tell Joe we don't care. It's Yankees-Red Sox.
Two teams that think Major League Baseball revolve around them. I'd rather watch Pittsburgh against Kansas City, to be quite honest.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Two teams that think Major League Baseball revolve around them. I'd rather watch Pittsburgh against Kansas City, to be quite honest.
NY vs Boston is something that cannot be understood by anyone West of NY & NJ. It is purley a New England thing and when the two teams meet, it is revenue time! Everyone from MLB right down to the corner bar profits from Red Sox/Yankees games. You would be hard pressed to find more loyalty to a team than you find with a New York or Boston fan and the revenue that is generated would out do any other park (if Fenway were larger). As much as I do not like the Yankees, I never miss a battle of these two teams because the rivalry will always be the best in baseball.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post

Quote:
I never miss a battle of these two teams because the rivalry will always be the best in baseball
RE: - MONEY

When both the Red Sox / Yanks sucked no one cared about the rivalry.

I am not a fan of either but IMO, the Royals with George Brett and the Yanks playoff series were just as intense as any Red-Sox Yankeee game.

You had many dramatic thrills during those playoff series.

In other words for the most part when the teams suck the rivalry loses it's luster.

just look at Michigan / Ohio St. regarded as one of the greatest rivalries ever, however, now that Michigan sucks that game lost it's luster.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
RE: - MONEY

When both the Red Sox / Yanks sucked no one cared about the rivalry.

I am not a fan of either

Pete Booth
Not being a fan of either is why you don't get it.

Ohio State - Michigan hasn't lost its luster in Ohio or Michigan.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
NY vs Boston is something that cannot be understood by anyone West of NY & NJ. It is purley a New England thing and when the two teams meet, it is revenue time! Everyone from MLB right down to the corner bar profits from Red Sox/Yankees games. You would be hard pressed to find more loyalty to a team than you find with a New York or Boston fan and the revenue that is generated would out do any other park (if Fenway were larger). As much as I do not like the Yankees, I never miss a battle of these two teams because the rivalry will always be the best in baseball.
I suppose. I lived in Boston for 3 years and I went to 3 or 4 games at Fenway. I really never got it, I guess.

I always thought the Red Sox were obsessed with the Yankees -- hearing chants about the Yankees when they weren't even playing, well, I found that a bit strange. I figured when they won their WS, some of that inferiority complex (which, frankly, a lot of it was) would go away, but it merely morphed into something else.

Now I'm just a Phillies fan living in Wisconsin with a Brewers season ticket plan.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 11:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
In other words for the most part when the teams suck the rivalry loses it's luster.

Just look at the Redskins / Cowboys regarded as a great rivalry, however, now that Washington sucks that game lost it's luster.

Pete Booth
Now, even I can understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Not being a fan of either is why you don't get it.

Washington - Dallas hasn't lost its luster in MD/Va or Texas.
Oh yes it has...... When one team is non-competitve (like losing 8 of 10) it isn't a "rivlary". My $.02
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 01:35pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'll take the Giants/Dodgers rivalry anyday.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Now I'm just a Phillies fan living in Wisconsin with a Brewers season ticket plan.
Sounds vaguely like a "country music" lyric for the Badger State trailer crowd.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Apparently Country Joe has turned into a Uniform Police guardian also....

Yankees-Red Sox umpire ordered uniform changes - NYPOST.com
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Just FYI: West had the plate today for Blue Jays/Orioles - time of game: 2:02.....