The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Which would explain a lot in the NBA and guys running with the ball halfway around the court with no travelling being called.
Yeah, that happens.

As I said, I do not watch a lot of NBA, but I see this called much more than I see many things called in MLB and the rules are clearly in place. And this might be the reason a lot of people turn off baseball when it comes to TV. At least when the NFL produces Monday Night Football, it is pretty clear when the game is going to be over. MLB during the post season has a game and the kids they claim to target cannot even stay up to watch the games. The NBA has way more marquee players or personalities than MLB ever has.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I see that called all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
As I said, I do not watch a lot of NBA
So then how can you see it called "all the time" if you don't watch a lot of NBA?
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
To be fair, under NBA rules, a player is allowed two steps after the ball is gathered. So a player could gather the ball with their right foot on the ground and would be allowed to step on their left which would be the pivot foot. In college and high school, that right foot would be the pivot foot. But you are right that travels are called every game.
I knew that too, but I am not speaking about this with a basketball official. This usually means that individuals allow media perceptions to dominate their thinking instead of reality. And if you watch a basketball game and not just listen to commentators, which BTW talk at the college level as if they know the rules to but do not.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So then how can you see it called "all the time" if you don't watch a lot of NBA?
Traveling is not called all the time at any level. The NBA is no different. It is actually the most inconsistently called or not called violation in all of basketball. I can show you multiple examples of missed travels at the high school level. You do not need to show NBA examples of this. But you said it was not called, I just said that was not true if you actually watch NBA games. Not what a pulled out highlight might show that took seconds in a 48 minute game. I am sure I can look at a missed pitch called in a major league baseball game or a missed balk, but that does not mean no one calls them at all.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

It's called an intentional exaggeration no different from your "all the time" comment.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's called an intentional exaggeration no different from your "all the time" comment.
There is a big difference between being called "all the time" in relationship to games and "being called every time." But then again, you said it was "never" called as you suggested by claiming that it was not called in over 10 years. I watched a game recently and I saw 5 travel calls in the first quarter. And traveling was called on some superstars in the process.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that my entire post began with the shiny new nickel offer should have told even the average 6th grader what the point of the post was to begin with. I'm sorry it went right over your head, although I did find your own rash generalizations rather amusing.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Do not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Quote:
The fact that my entire post began with the shiny new nickel offer should have told even the average 6th grader what the point of the post was to begin with. I'm sorry it went right over your head, although I did find your own rash generalizations rather amusing.
Nothing went over my head. You just made a statement which was simply not true and were challenged on it. Then you had no answer for the challenge and now want to make it as if I missed your point. The point is you did not know what you were talking about and did not have an answer. It was a horrible comparison and why baseball loses fans of many demographics because they try to be so "elitist" to other sports, while never evolving in their way of thinking. Hey, it does not matter to me; I am not vested in a league that has the worst ratings for their major events in the sporting world.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nothing went over my head. You just made a statement which was simply not true and were challenged on it.
Your assignment is to look up the meaning of the word "exaggeration" and its common uses. Of course, I don't see you criticizing yourself for doing the same thing with comments like "all the time," despite totally contradicting yourself a few posts later.

Quote:
I am not vested in a league that has the worst ratings for their major events in the sporting world.
For someone allegedly not vested in a such a league, you sure do spend a lot of time in the baseball section trying to correct umpires making posts designed to emphasize the absurdity of something. Perhaps you ought to stick to the other sports that you officiate if you're going to always be so critical of baseball.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Do not let the facts get in the way of a good story Part 2!!!

Quote:
Your assignment is to look up the meaning of the word "exaggeration" and its common uses. Of course, I don't see you criticizing yourself for doing the same thing with comments like "all the time," despite totally contradicting yourself a few posts later.
Thank you. I had no idea what I was saying.

Quote:
For someone allegedly not vested in a such a league, you sure do spend a lot of time in the baseball section trying to correct umpires making posts designed to emphasize the absurdity of something. Perhaps you ought to stick to the other sports that you officiate if you're going to always be so critical of baseball.
Have you really looked at the vast gaps in my responses or participation on this particular site?

Actually I will respond when I choose to. I do not care if and when you respond to this site, nor try to keep track. Get over yourself, you are not the only person that can comment on the baseball board because you claim to know pro umpires.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you. I had no idea what I was saying.
I thought as much.

Quote:
...you are not the only person that can comment on the baseball board because you claim to know pro umpires.
Just where the hell does that come in here? I didn't allude to that because it's not relevant to the discussion at hand.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Enough with the NBA crap.

If you want to discuss the NBA travelling rule and how often it's called, take it to the appropriate board.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It got ugly -- both announcers were ripping West and saying how out of line he was and maybe the games would be quicker if they called more strikes.
This is the best comment I've seen on the subject so far. I think the K-zone tracker is one of the main reasons why games take so long. I've heard Pete Rose interviewed and saying "umpires are afraid to call strikes". I think he's wrong but close - umpires are cautious about calling strikes because every pitch is scrutinized first by technology, and then by announcers, few of whom have walked so much as 10 feet in plate shoes. The strike zone has been tightened up by the impact of that technology.

When watching classic games on the MLB network I am reminded of how wide the strike zone used to be. Something like 23 inches or more. Most games back then did not last three hours. I'm not saying it's the answer to the problem - just that it significantly contributes to the problem.

Last year in a semi-pro game with top-notch pitching I told the catchers from both teams that we are calling a 1981 strike zone tonight. The result? 9 innings. 1hr 40 min. Only heard one complaint from one batter - interestingly it was on a pitch right over the heart of the plate where he got fooled.

Sorry guys - I have no opinion on the NBA or when traveling should be called.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 12:20pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

For the Nationals, of course.

That loser franchise has a perfect set of (loser) announcers.
FWIW-The Montreal Expos used have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball. They drafted and trained many seviceable major leaguers over the years. Some have made the HOF.

When Jeffrey Loria skipped out of town and bought the Marlins, he took a good portion of the staff and knowledge with him.

MLB took over the franchise and ran it into the ground. It is going to take a major rebuilding job to get them back to respectibility again.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
FWIW-The Montreal Expos used have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball. They drafted and trained many seviceable major leaguers over the years. Some have made the HOF.

When Jeffrey Loria skipped out of town and bought the Marlins, he took a good portion of the staff and knowledge with him.

MLB took over the franchise and ran it into the ground. It is going to take a major rebuilding job to get them back to respectibility again.
I spent about an hour talking about the Expos with a friend of mine just a few weeks ago. The strike hurt them more than any other franchise. And the exchange rate (at the time). And Loria skipping town and MLB operating them on a shoestring budget were the final nails in the coffin.

I loved going to Montreal every couple of years for a Phillies series. I was there in September 1993 and was in a packed-to-the-gills Olympic Stadium watching the Phils and Expos play for the division. Phils took 2 out of 3 and won the division and went to the World Series. Montreal came back in 1994 and had the best team in baseball in the one year there was no World Series.