The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 06:50pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I spent about an hour talking about the Expos with a friend of mine just a few weeks ago. The strike hurt them more than any other franchise. And the exchange rate (at the time). And Loria skipping town and MLB operating them on a shoestring budget were the final nails in the coffin.

I loved going to Montreal every couple of years for a Phillies series. I was there in September 1993 and was in a packed-to-the-gills Olympic Stadium watching the Phils and Expos play for the division. Phils took 2 out of 3 and won the division and went to the World Series. Montreal came back in 1994 and had the best team in baseball in the one year there was no World Series.
Quite right. The strike in '94 killed baseball in Montreal. It was the only franchise where the fans remained away in droves.

A tip of the hat for remaining a Phillies fan, for they have to endure the indignity of being the losers of more games in MLB history.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 10:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Quite right. The strike in '94 killed baseball in Montreal. It was the only franchise where the fans remained away in droves.

A tip of the hat for remaining a Phillies fan, for they have to endure the indignity of being the losers of more games in MLB history.
I went to my first game in 1976. I've been a fan ever since. My 5-year-old daughter just put a poster of the Phanatic on her wall yesterday (I signed her up for the Phanatic Club). She's hooked (I hope).

It's easy now, though. These are the salad days of the franchise. The Phils are one of the best teams in the bigs right now. Most of the stars are home-grown, too.

I miss having the Expos around, though. I'd much rather have them in MLB than the Nationals, who are barely drawing anyone even the first week of the season.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 10:23pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Nats don't win. IF you win, even the crappy stadiums fill to the brim. Look at the Twins..when they win, they filled the dome. Same will happened at our new ballpark...once the novelty wears off...if they stop winning, they'll be giving seats away.

You have to win. People have to many other options with their time than to waste it watching a crappy product.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 11:52pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Nats don't win. IF you win, even the crappy stadiums fill to the brim. Look at the Twins..when they win, they filled the dome. Same will happened at our new ballpark...once the novelty wears off...if they stop winning, they'll be giving seats away.

You have to win. People have to many other options with their time than to waste it watching a crappy product.

Don't forget it wasn't too long ago when MLB and Bud Selig wanted to contract the Expos and the Twins. The Twins owner even thought it was a good idea.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Don't forget it wasn't too long ago when MLB and Bud Selig wanted to contract the Expos and the Twins. The Twins owner even thought it was a good idea.
It was a good idea, but it should have not been the Twins. I would advocate now the Marlins, Tampa or the Nationals still. Not going to happen because of the investment in those cities, but there are too many teams. Just like there are too many teams in the NHL, MLB expanded when they really were fine the way they were.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 06:40am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
True Dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'd much rather have them in MLB than the Nationals, who are barely drawing anyone even the first week of the season.
Everyone loves a winner..... I mean, no one goes to see the Wizards either......

However, the Capitals are winners and have true Superstars on their team and the Verizon Center is sold out every game.

Build a quality product and they will come......and I believe (hope) the Nats are heading in that direction. They have a few good ball players and are of course banking on our boy Strassburg to save the day - I mean, they had 7K plus fans to see his debut in the minors last week.

Beautiful ballpark, hope it works out for them/us!