The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 10:22pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I always thought the Red Sox were obsessed with the Yankees -- hearing chants about the Yankees when they weren't even playing, well, I found that a bit strange. I figured when they won their WS, some of that inferiority complex (which, frankly, a lot of it was) would go away, but it merely morphed into something else.
I am a Red Sox fan. I won't deny there's an inferiority complex involved, but after beating the Yankees in the '04 ALCS, it was more of a stick-it-to-them attitude, especially after hearing that "1918" chant for so long. A lot of it is just talk, as many of us (though not all) were on the Yankee bandwagon in '01.

As for game lengths, I enjoy those Yankee/Red Sox games, but good lord, I have over 100 channels, and unless it's a post-season game, I have a hard time sitting through nine-plus innings without grabbing the remote!
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"To call the Yankees and Red Sox, two of the best teams in baseball, 'pathetic' and 'embarrassing,' that's just ridiculous," Pedroia said yesterday.

"If he doesn't want to do Red Sox and Yankee games, he should tell the umpires' union. Then when we're in the World Series, he'll be out of that assignment, too."
Someone should tell Pedroia that the Yankees and Red Sox can't play in the World Series.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Joe needs to be stepped on. Gray shoes? Really?

And him complaining about the length of games holds as much water as the same complaint made by the scorekeeper or organ player. Who cares? I mean, he works a plate every four or five days, and waddles around the other three! Cowboy Up, Joe! (or retire), Leave, and let one of the younger guys who will do your job in a heartbeat, at a third of your salary, move in. Plus, he won't tilt the field.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Someone should tell Pedroia that the Yankees and Red Sox can't play in the World Series.
Any time the Yanks & Sox are playing each other post-season, it is, in effect, the world series.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 08:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Any time the Yanks & Sox are playing each other post-season, it is, in effect, the world series.
Just more nonsense from a fan who thinks MLB revolves around the Red Sox / Yankees.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Try watching Ken Burns's BASEBALL, the so-called definitive documented history of the game. Wow! The Yankees and Red Sox are all that matters to these people.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Just more nonsense from a fan who thinks MLB revolves around the Red Sox / Yankees.
Nonsense? OK.

What I hate most about this rivalry is it brings out the most uncivil and boorish behavior from some of the worst pieces of **** society has to offer.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Including Ken Burns!
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

The funny thing is that people who are fans of the Yankees or Red Sox have this idea that everyone else cares dearly about their teams or when they play. In reality, no one outside of the northeast gives a rip about it unless they're fans of the two teams. That matchup has no more significance than any other for the rest of us, but judging from the way ESPN shoves it down our throats, those are the only two teams in baseball.

Oh yeah, Kyle is right. Joe has nothing to complain about. Any of us would love to make a few hundred G's for umpiring and not have to worry about any other job.

Last edited by zm1283; Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 09:52am.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The funny thing is that people who are fans of the Yankees or Red Sox have this idea that everyone else cares dearly about their teams or when they play.
Absolutely not true - we couldn't care less about what others think or whether they're interested at all. Only ESPN has that notion.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 10:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Nonsense? OK.

What I hate most about this rivalry is it brings out the most uncivil and boorish behavior from some of the worst pieces of **** society has to offer.
Yup, and when I went to the Yankees/Red Sox game in the new Yankee Stadium (I've been to all the ML parks -- except the new Twins park, of course -- and it just so happened the Red Sox were in town when I was) a lot of them were sitting in the same section I was. I'm sure glad I chose to take my 4-year-old to Citi Field and not Yankee Stadium.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Following Storyline from ESPN

Not sure if this point has already been made, but here is the link below.

Ump should be praised, not punished

Umpire Joe West should be rewarded -- not punished -- for his comments on pace of New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox series - ESPN New York

As far as game time issues and Joe West complaints, treat it like a good balk call.
Whether a balk happens in the first inning or last; see a balk, call it a balk, 5 words or less, and move on to the game.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I once had the "honor" of sitting near the "Bleacher Creatures". To say they are the most moronic or baseball fans in both an understatement and incomplete.

One would have to add, the most vile, vulgar, bigotted, mean-spirited, souless and despicable to come close to capturing their true personna.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I once had the "honor" of sitting near the "Bleacher Creatures". To say they are the most moronic or baseball fans in both an understatement and incomplete.

One would have to add, the most vile, vulgar, bigotted, mean-spirited, souless and despicable to come close to capturing their true personna.
All the above is true. I've sat in the old Section 39, and the new Section 203. It's the funniest nine innings I've ever spent in the stands. Pure R rated comedy, from role call to Frank singing "New York, New York".

If I want pleasant, I'll stick to going to Frairs tilts in Petco. Niiiiiiiiiiice baseball. But right field in the Bronx is an experience.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
All the above is true. I've sat in the old Section 39, and the new Section 203. It's the funniest nine innings I've ever spent in the stands. Pure R rated comedy, from role call to Frank singing "New York, New York".
I wouldn't call taunting a developmentally impaired child entertaining. The shouts of "retard" and "MR" didn't bring a gaffaw from me, althought I admit those doing it laughed like he11.