The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Okay, I guess I have to ask it a different way, because this was meant to be neither "funny" nor a "quip."

One more time: What makes Chad Fairchild a seasoned umpire? He has not been umpiring long enough to qualify as a "seasoned" umpire. He is what is commonly referred to as a "fill-in umpire." When he has a few years of full-time MLB experience, we can then maybe call him a "seasoned umpire."

That was the only point I was making, because he was referred to as a "seasoned umpire."
Serious question Steve, would you call Chris Guccione or Rob Drake "seasoned" umpires? They've been around working MLB games for close to a decade now. No one is saying they're veteran MLB guys (even though they work more games per year than "full-time" guys), but where do you draw the line for "seasoning"? Is there X number of games, ejections, weird situations? Chad worked just about 10 games fewer than the full-timers last year, and has been with his crew since Opening Day this year. According to Retrosheet, he's worked 266 games from 2004-2007- it's not like he worked a Tampa-KC series in September last year for the first time.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

35 Ejections for Rob Drake

Rob Drake now has over 35 Ejections in his 10 years as an umpire, when called up to do "The Show". That seems like someone with a mission of "Hey, look at me, I can eject the boys up here and there is nothing anyone can do about it."

Rob Drake must really feel like a BIG MAN working "The Show" after ejecting Lou Pinnela behind his back, taking over the call from his fellow "Minor League" umpire who didn't see a reason to eject Lou.

For what I saw during the game, Drake should never be the next ump called up to fill a slot in the MLB Umpires. He blew more than one obvious call in the CUB/White Sox game on Jun 29, 2008.

Stay where you belong Drake, dealing with the "Minors"!
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorothian
Rob Drake now has over 35 Ejections in his 10 years as an umpire, when called up to do "The Show". That seems like someone with a mission of "Hey, look at me, I can eject the boys up here and there is nothing anyone can do about it."

Rob Drake must really feel like a BIG MAN working "The Show" after ejecting Lou Pinnela behind his back, taking over the call from his fellow "Minor League" umpire who didn't see a reason to eject Lou.

For what I saw during the game, Drake should never be the next ump called up to fill a slot in the MLB Umpires. He blew more than one obvious call in the CUB/White Sox game on Jun 29, 2008.

Stay where you belong Drake, dealing with the "Minors"!

Welcome back Fitump. Still on your anti Drake tirade, eh?

35 ejections in 10 years? 3.5 per year? Sounds pretty lenient.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which season was that? A little more salt and pepper please!
I didn't say seasoned MLB ump.
Just how long has he been a professional ump?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again I ask, WHAT SEASON did Chad Fairchild become a SEASONED umpire? He's a AAA umpire, so where has he gotten the tag, "seasoned," from?
I believe he's been around long enough to handle himself at first base.
You don't make it to MLB with out a season or two of experience.
And relative to my post Fairchild is seasoned enough to handle his own ejections.
If any MLB ump needs protecting as UES suggested he shouldn't be there
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
And relative to my post Fairchild is seasoned enough to handle his own ejections.
Trust me, Chad can handle business when needed. I still suspect Lou said something that only Rob could hear, resulting in the ejection. Perhaps Rob could have done the mask off "What did you say big guy" routine to see if Lou would charge the plate bit he chose to simply dump him.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

This is not Chad Fairchild's first year working in MLB. As of June 29, he was tied for second in the most plate games worked in MLB.

This doesn't happen to "unseasoned" umpires.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

The jock sniffers are out defending Rob Drake.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 01:42am

Again, the U.S. version of the meaning of "jock sniffer" must get lost in the Candadian translation. How does defending an umpire's actions (or even criticizing an umpire's actions) constitute jock sniffing?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 01:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
Okay, so a season or two is what you call "seasoned." That's all I wanted to know is what you considered seasoned. My standard for that designation is much higher than that. It is subjective in nature, then. Everyone has a different idea of what "seasoned" is. I guess my criteria is closer to "grizzled" than to "rookie."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

I think that 5 pages of arguing about AAA/MLB umpire is hilarious! Who cares, anyway! It was a great few moments of "show", the fans got their money's worth and TV announcers got to analyze the whole thing. Rob & Fairchild got paid, they will go back to AAA and get called back when needed. Again, who cares?
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Not really MRUMPIRE, how many ejections do you hear about in a year's time?? Across MLB?

Drake had 17 in one year alone.

Last edited by Lorothian; Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 07:15am.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not really MRUMPIRE, how many ejections do you hear about in a year's time?? Across MLB?

Then 18 in his other 9 years seems pretty reasonable, doesn't it?
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 08:48am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
So what? I don't recall one of these. Sounds like he took care of business when needed.

The sun came up today; it will tomorrow - let's move on...
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, so a season or two is what you call "seasoned." That's all I wanted to know is what you considered seasoned. My standard for that designation is much higher than that. It is subjective in nature, then. Everyone has a different idea of what "seasoned" is. I guess my criteria is closer to "grizzled" than to "rookie."
I know you're smart enough to recognize an understatement when you read one, so I don't know why you're playing the literal game.
My point is that any umpire who makes it to MLB is seasoned enough to handle his own ejections.
Enough said