The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I know if a coach gets ejected from a game they have to serve 1 game suspension, but what about a player?
I had a rec. game last night and a player who was ejected from last weeks game played last night and the other team ask me why is that player allowed to play if this league play by high school rules when he was ejected from the last game.
I told him I don't know any rule that after an ejection that player is suspended from there next game unless its a league rule.
The league director said that they play by high school rules, so if the book say it is a rule than he is suspended, so I try to find this ruling in the book but cannot find it, so can anyone help me with this?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:42am
In Memoriam

It's strictly up to each league. There is nothing in the rule book concerning suspensions- for either coaches or players.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Tell coaches that inquire about a player or coach's eligibilty to participate in the game that they need to take it up with the leauge, tournament, or whoever runs the show. Refs aren't responsible for ensuring that players or coaches comply with suspensions, age requirements, etc.

And that is one of the few reasons you will normally see a result overturned in my experience - participation of ineligible personnel.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on the league you are working for. Different/Stricter rules will apply according to the league policy.

In my Intramural league for example, a player gets 3 t's before they are done for good. Usually after the second, they are on their BEST behavior. However, two t's by one team in a game and the game is a forfeit. So you cold be up by 12 points and have a player lose control, get two t's and forfeit the game. End result, you lose 50-0.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 07:09pm
Ref Ump Welsch

In some rec leagues, the referees sometimes have to make a decision on eligibility also, in conjunction with a site supervisor. One city rec league I work, the teams must have the roster finalized by the 3rd week (I think), and cannot add any more players. The site supervisors maintain the rosters, book, etc. If a captain enters an ineligible player in the scorebook, it comes to the referees' attention and we declare a forfeit. Ditto for uniforms. If during pre-game, we determine the uniforms not to comply with league rules, we declare a player ineligible to play that night. Therefore, it is possible that the refs might have to make some kind of a determination during city rec league, depending on the local rules, etc.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 07:11pm
Ref Ump Welsch

An additional comment I failed to make. The same city rec league I just mentioned, if we eject a player the previous week, he/she must sit out for one week. Suppose "suspended" player shows up, and we see him/her in warmups, game is forfeited immediately.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
I know if a coach gets ejected from a game they have to serve 1 game suspension
I'm curious as to how you "know" this. Please explain.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
It's common knowledge 'round these parts!

The one game suspension is mandated by UHSAA policy. The same applies to players. It is not an NFHS rule, nor is it in the book.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
It's common knowledge 'round these parts!

The one game suspension is mandated by UHSAA policy. The same applies to players. It is not an NFHS rule, nor is it in the book.
The policy is the same in Nevada. It is an NIAA (our state athletic governing body) rule, which pertains to all sports. All the coaches and players know that they have to sit if they get tossed.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 10:03am
Ref Ump Welsch

Not to start a whole ball of wax over the ejection/suspension thing, but I'm curious as to how they define the 1-game suspension. Here in Nebraska, an ejection leads to an automatic 1-game suspension at the same level in which the ejection happened. Suppose a freshman on the varsity team gets ejected from the varsity game, he can't play in ANY games till after the next varsity game. Same for a coach. Is it the same out there or are there variations on this suspension philosophy?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Not to start a whole ball of wax over the ejection/suspension thing, but I'm curious as to how they define the 1-game suspension. Here in Nebraska, an ejection leads to an automatic 1-game suspension at the same level in which the ejection happened. Suppose a freshman on the varsity team gets ejected from the varsity game, he can't play in ANY games till after the next varsity game. Same for a coach. Is it the same out there or are there variations on this suspension philosophy?
Here in Wyoming it is the same. I think it is a good system..
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down don't like it

That is actually the only rule I think is really stupid. just my opinion of course. It comes down to vagaries of scheduling. If he intent is to suspend a player from a game at the same level of play, do that. If the intent is to suspend a player from the same level or a higher level, do that.

The situation I am thinking of is a player suspended from a Freshman game not being able to play again if they don't have any more freshman games. So a player could get bounced from a freshman game, have no remaining freshman games to play, and not be able to play at the varsity level for 10 games, while a player bounced from a varsity game could sit one varsity game and be back. Same offense, different result. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I know they shouldn't get ejected and all that, but ejections do happen and should be treated in a manner that is equal for all. Having a one-game suspension that affects more than one game for some and not for others is wrong to me.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:31am
Ref Ump Welsch

There is a stipulation in Nebraska that if there are no games remaining at that level then the next level up can be used, for example, if there are no remaining freshman games, then you can use reserves (if that is the next level your school offers) games if there are any remaining. If not, then you can go up more. I think that rule is in place, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I'm only an official, and all we have to do is eject, fill out report, submit to the NSAA, and go on about our business.

I believe this system is fair and equitable, because it prevents some players from having to sit out just one night, while others have to sit out for several nights, depending on the scheduling arrangements. I know it doesn't sound fair, but it's turned out to be equitable here in Nebraska, considering the limit on the number of varsity contests/dates that are allowed.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: don't like it

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
That is actually the only rule I think is really stupid. just my opinion of course. It comes down to vagaries of scheduling. If he intent is to suspend a player from a game at the same level of play, do that. If the intent is to suspend a player from the same level or a higher level, do that.

The situation I am thinking of is a player suspended from a Freshman game not being able to play again if they don't have any more freshman games. So a player could get bounced from a freshman game, have no remaining freshman games to play, and not be able to play at the varsity level for 10 games, while a player bounced from a varsity game could sit one varsity game and be back. Same offense, different result. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I know they shouldn't get ejected and all that, but ejections do happen and should be treated in a manner that is equal for all. Having a one-game suspension that affects more than one game for some and not for others is wrong to me.
I don't think there should be ANY automatic suspensions.

There are some situations that simply call for a player being tossed from the rest of the current game.

Now, it may be hard to think of those situations in basketball, but these draconican penalties are usually handed out across the board in all sports in the state.

I am a baseball umpire and I ejected a catcher from a varsity game for jumping up and arguing a call after I warned him not to do it earlier in the game. Wham -- automatic suspension. Some umpires won't eject and some umpires won't report ejections to the state because they feel like imposing their own judgment on the validity of the suspension.

Why not treat each on a case by case basis (by the league or by the state)?

Most will get the one game -- some will get none and some will get more than one.

--Rich
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I do agree that some guys won't toss someone because of that situation also. I saw a game this year two of the top guys in the state working it. In the first half there was a T on a player for running his mouth...nothing serious just a little over the top. At half time the officials talked about the fact that if he got another one he would get tossed and suspended etc...Early in the 3rd quarter there in a tipped ball that goes out of bounds with this player and another one "fighting" for the ball. The other kid ends up on the ground and the original player had a couple words for him...One of the officials came from across the court and whacked him...in the middle of whacking him he realized what the situation was...so they talked and didn't stick with the T. They got the offended team coach to buy it and went on...We gave them a hard time.. I understand meaning to signal a block and using the PC mechanic and vice versa...but how do you mean to signal white ball and end up in the T signal LOL....