The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
You guys are still missing the point!!!!!!! Rob needs to do something with that hair.
Can't agree more, thanks for guiding us back to the real issue.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorothian
Rob Drake now has over 35 Ejections in his 10 years as an umpire, when called up to do "The Show". That seems like someone with a mission of "Hey, look at me, I can eject the boys up here and there is nothing anyone can do about it."
I'm only guessing here, but I'm pretty sure MLB wouldn't tolerate a rogue umpire indiscriminately tossing managers and players for 10 years. The fact is, there is something that can be done about it, and it would have been if the ejections hadn't been deserved. Good grief.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Rob & Fairchild got paid, they will go back to AAA and get called back when needed. Again, who cares?
Drake, Guccione and others haven't gone back to AAA in years. They continue to work more MLB games than contracted MLB umpires. It is a disgrace what MLB gets away with.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Rob & Fairchild got paid, they will go back to AAA and get called back when needed.
Not only has Rob gone years without working AAA, I believe I read that Fairchild has been with that crew since the first game of the season.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Drake, Guccione and others haven't gone back to AAA in years. They continue to work more MLB games than contracted MLB umpires. It is a disgrace what MLB gets away with.
See! This shows you how much attention I pay to those that have made AAA & The Show. They have their own rules and management idiosyncrasies of which I am not a part of nor do I care about it. I have my own problems with rules, coaches and assignors!
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To my knowledge, what MLB is doing does not violate the contract so, what is it they are "getting away with"?

It is not as if they are saying: we'll give you $100 and they give them $50 or giving them a veggie burger when they paid for steak. These guys know what the deal is.

Joe in Missouri
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
To my knowledge, what MLB is doing does not violate the contract so, what is it they are "getting away with"?

It is not as if they are saying: we'll give you $100 and they give them $50 or giving them a veggie burger when they paid for steak. These guys know what the deal is.

Joe in Missouri
Yes, they know what the deal is. Accept what MLB offers or get released. Take the entry level pay, even after 160 games a year for five or more years or get released. Work ten years and have not one year of seniority built up, or get released. Stay a fill-in along with eight or nine others because its cheaper for MLB than to hire the full time umpires they need, or get released.

You're right. They know what the deal is. Management often finds things not covered by CBA's and exploits them until unions gets tired of it. Don't be suprised if the next round of labor talks includes this practice.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, they know what the deal is. Accept what MLB offers or get released. Take the entry level pay, even after 160 games a year for five or more years or get released. Work ten years and have not one year of seniority built up, or get released. Stay a fill-in along with eight or nine others because its cheaper for MLB than to hire the full time umpires they need, or get released.

You're right. They know what the deal is. Management often finds things not covered by CBA's and exploits them until unions gets tired of it. Don't be suprised if the next round of labor talks includes this practice.
Right, that is the deal. They accepted the deal. They knew the deal(or should have) before they went to umpire school.

Yes, it is cheaper. People who run businesses do not like to spend more money, they prefer to spend less money. The same way that I like to spend less money instead of more money.

Joe in Missouri
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sign me up where entry level pay is $300+ per day to eat and sleep PLUS a pro-rated portion of a six figure salary.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ok

Please understand one thing about published umpire ejection numbers:

If there is a bench clearing brawl . . . fist fights . . . dog pile type situation the Home Plate Umpire is credited with any and all ejections. This can certain skew a number.

Regards,
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Please understand one thing about published umpire ejection numbers:

If there is a bench clearing brawl . . . fist fights . . . dog pile type situation the Home Plate Umpire is credited with any and all ejections. This can certain skew a number.

Regards,
So Drake's inflated ejection numbers indicate the possibility that he may have been the Home Plate Umpire for many brawls, fist fights and dog pile situations. This skews the numbers, but wouldn't it be a good indicator of the lack of game management skills if this were the case?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

:-}

Quote:
" . . . but wouldn't it be a good indicator of the lack of game management skills if this were the case?"
Steven:

While I think you are taking a devil's advocate position for this discussion I would contend that not all brawls in Major League baseball show any lack of game managment skills.

Let's say that a player slides hard into second base . . . let's say F6 has words with him . . . then they fight.

The double ejection would go against the PU . . . how did his game management skills affect this play?

You'd have to ask Pete Rose and Bud Harrelson.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Steven:

While I think you are taking a devil's advocate position for this discussion I would contend that not all brawls in Major League baseball show any lack of game managment skills.

Let's say that a player slides hard into second base . . . let's say F6 has words with him . . . then they fight.

The double ejection would go against the PU . . . how did his game management skills affect this play?

You'd have to ask Pete Rose and Bud Harrelson.
Yes, for the purposes of the discussion, I was playing devil's advocate. It just seemed curious that his totals were this high, but I don't have the totals for the rest of the league, so I can't really make a fair comparison. Perhaps someone knows these statistics and can list the ejection rankings so we can compare totals.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 05:07pm
In Time Out

i watched this live and there is no question that fairchild blew it big time; he didn't have the balls to toss him so drake cleaned up his mess ... when was the last time that a manager ran onto the field arguing a check swing call and didn't get tossed? more senior umps would have tossed him for arguing that call from the dugout for chrissakes! fairchild has been working in the bigs all season long, he should have known better, plus he made drake look badly ... lou was right before he left he shouted at fairchild, "you f*n stink!"
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

.[/QUOTE]

You're right. They know what the deal is. Management often finds things not covered by CBA's and exploits them until unions gets tired of it. Don't be suprised if the next round of labor talks includes this practice.[/QUOTE]

Here's how the ML value umpires, the 60 or so regular umps don't make combined in one year as much as AROD does.