The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
If he ejected him about 20 seconds earlier I would agree that it was completely legit. I think it was legit in that yes, he argued balls and strikes and had to go, but it was weakly and childishly done while Lou didn't even know about it. He actually tossed him (at least) twice as Lou wasn't even facing him and didn't even know it happened because he was leaving.

He waited too long and then got Lou way too late. Might as well have just waited until the next pitch.
If your definition of a horse**** ejection is he waited 20 seconds too long I agree. If your concern was that it should not have happened at all I disagree. And I expect Lou knew it was going to happen when he came out of the dugout, at least that would be normal response.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Oh I know it should have happened, and I'm sure Lou was probably thinking the same as he was walking away...then it happened.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Anytime someone is ejected, the ejection is legit. The issue is whether you or I agree with it. Honestly, whether you or I agree with it is not the issue. We were not there and did not hear everything that was said. And if we did our opinion might completely change. I do not know how anyone can say while looking just on TV whether someone should not should not be ejected. Unless we hear everything that was said, we are only speculating.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Anytime someone is ejected, the ejection is legit.
That makes as much sense as me saying the complete opposite.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 10:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Is that pretty much what you said, the opposite?

Peace
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

No.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 11:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree 100% that Lou should have gotten ejected. What I do not understand\agree with is why Rob Drake ejected him while Lou had his back turned him. I think that the 1B umpire should have ejected him. As mention before Rob Drake made the ejection sign at least twice before Lou had any idea.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The issue is whether you or I agree with it. Honestly, whether you or I agree with it is not the issue.

what?? the issue is either the issue or it isn't the issue. the issue can't possibly be the the issue AND not be the issue, it's not possible. something has to be the issue.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Fairchild should have tossed him for coming out of the dugout, period.

Drake was cleaning up the mess that Fairchild started. An untimely mess, too, because Lou had his back turned when dumped. It was just bad timing by everyone.

Drake had an off night behind the dish, as I was yelling "WHAT!?" more than a couple times. It happens. The trouble with umpiring is that there's no one on the bench to relieve you in the fifth inning if it's just not your night.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

I always like seeing "Sweet Lou" getting dumped. In all these years, he hasn't learned that arguing balls & strikes is a quick ticket out. And his language hasn't improved either!
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

We can learn from this ejection:

Minor League umpires are now being taught that in this EXACT situation (i.e. "off umpire" making the ejection of a manager walking away) they should eject in a voice only loud enough to be heard by the manager and THEN when he returns to get his "two cents worth" you follow with the BIG Ejection mechanic.

Looks better all around.

Regards,
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did anyone just see Drake toss Piniella? Can someone give me an example of a more horse**** ejection at the MLB level? I'm struggling to find one.

For those who didn't see it, Fairchild (at first) said the hitter didn't go on a half-swing, then Piniella comes out a little bit and Fairchild put his hand up and said not to come out. Lou has a few quick words from long distance, goes back towards the dugout, and Drake throws him out while Lou isn't even facing the field or either umpire.

Disclaimer: I'm a Cubs fan.

Brian,

This post shows your true colors - you are fan #1 and an umpire #2, however, I won't hold it against you.

Fairchild did exactly what probably every other AAA fill in did (not including Drake or Gooch since they're pretty much full timers anyways). As Pinella came out onto the field to argue the check swing, Fairchild put the stop sign up and told Pinella to "Don't come out here". While Pinella stopped, he continued to pop off and get in a couple more shots, Drake decided he had heard enough and took the EJ for Fairchild.

Considering the status of Fairchild and Pinella, I think Fairchild handled it about as good as you can considering if he would have dumped Pinella from long distance, Pinella would have created a major scene. Fairchild did what MLB wants him to do and that is "try" to keep him in the game if possible. Drake, on the other hand, saw that Pinella was taking advantage of a younger AAA fill-in, stuck up for his partner and took the EJ himself.

As the plate umpire, when you ask for help on a check swing, you do not allow a team to go after your partner because they didn't agree with his decision. Drake did exactly what any "umpire's umpire" would do and that is stick up for his partner. While it may have not looked pretty, it was the right thing to do and that is ANOTHER example of why Drake will be the next full time MLB umpire. Could Fairchild have dumped Pinella...yes, Should Fairchild have dumped Pinella... maybe but talking about it in the lockeroom, Fairchild probably thanked Drake for taking the bullet for him. That is what umpires do for each other.

Brian, ofcourse, you would not understand this because you are a FAN. Maybe you should visit a baseball blog for FANS - I think you would be more comfortable there rather than here - this is for UMPIRES

Last edited by UES; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 12:14pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Brian,

This post shows your true colors - you are fan #1 and an umpire #2, however, I won't hold it against you.
-snipped-
Brian, ofcourse, you would not understand this because you are a FAN. Maybe you should visit a baseball blog for FANS - I think you would be more comfortable there rather than here - this is for UMPIRES
I'm guessing you don't know Brian very well. He's about as umpire as you can get. Umpires can be fans as well as umpires. I don't think Drake handled the situation ideally myself, and I'm a White Sox fan. Saying that Brian wouldn't understand something because he's a fan is just asinine at best. Not only is Brian a top-notch umpire (who doesn't need any help from me, but I've got his back anyway) he is also is a passionate Cubs fan. That doesn't make him more fan than umpire, by a long shot.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
what?? the issue is either the issue or it isn't the issue. the issue can't possibly be the the issue AND not be the issue, it's not possible. something has to be the issue.
I'd like to take issue with this.