View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Okay, I guess I have to ask it a different way, because this was meant to be neither "funny" nor a "quip."

One more time: What makes Chad Fairchild a seasoned umpire? He has not been umpiring long enough to qualify as a "seasoned" umpire. He is what is commonly referred to as a "fill-in umpire." When he has a few years of full-time MLB experience, we can then maybe call him a "seasoned umpire."

That was the only point I was making, because he was referred to as a "seasoned umpire."
Serious question Steve, would you call Chris Guccione or Rob Drake "seasoned" umpires? They've been around working MLB games for close to a decade now. No one is saying they're veteran MLB guys (even though they work more games per year than "full-time" guys), but where do you draw the line for "seasoning"? Is there X number of games, ejections, weird situations? Chad worked just about 10 games fewer than the full-timers last year, and has been with his crew since Opening Day this year. According to Retrosheet, he's worked 266 games from 2004-2007- it's not like he worked a Tampa-KC series in September last year for the first time.