The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
IT was only a hint. The ice pack isn't what's wrong with your answer.
In other words, he could enjoy the ice pack on the bench...
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

IFF BR out #1
R1 pass R2 out #2
Batted ball hits R2 out #3
Triple play !!
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
#2 Runners on 1st and 2nd (I will refrain from using R1 on 2nd and R2 on 1st to keep from confusing anyone new), 1 out. High fligh ball to SS over near 2b, runner on 1b runs to 2b and is on his way to 3rd when he passes the runner on 2b who is coming back to the bag. They don't touch each other. SS takes his eye off the ball as the runner from 1b goes by and the runner on 2b takes a look at the runner from 1b who just passed him and as he does he is struck by the fly ball on it's way down.

What are the call(s)?
This is my attempt:

Infield fly, batter is out.
Runner at first is out for passing the runner at 2nd.
If the runner at 2nd base was on the base, he's not out (although I cannot say I am 100% sure whether it's a dead ball or not, but I would assume so because the runner did get hit). If the runner is off the base he's out for being touched by an infield fly.

Did I get it right?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
I think canada got the wording correct.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
If act on the field as you do here, I'm guessing you work from the fetal position on several occasions.........
What's the matter, Paul, your playmates ignoring you?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
What's the matter, Paul, your playmates ignoring you?
Classic...
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

IHSAref,

Quote:
I am trying to decide if I should start umpiring baseball. I am already doing volleyball and basketball and just trying to fill the gap. Any advise would be great! Thanks!
Now that we've all had a little fun, let's see if we can't actually try to answer your question, which, if I understand it correctly, is:

"Should I start umpiring baseball?"

and,

"If I should, how should I go about getting started?"

Ultimately, you have to answer the first question yourself. Some seem to suggest that the way you ask the question indicates that you really shouldn't, while others suggest that even asking the question indicates you ought to at least give it a shot.

Should you decide to give it a shot, I think ozzy has given you some very good advice, namely, go watch a few games at the level you would plan to officiate. Whether that's youth ball or (inferring you do basketball and volleyball at the HS level) High School ball or whatever.

He also suggests getting a rule book and reading it. Also very good advice. After reading it, you should be confused about some things. If you're not, you didn't read it very carefully.

If you decide you'd like to try it, I would suggest that you join an association. This will provide a pool of umpires that you can turn to with questions, and most associations provide some degree of training for their members. Attend as many training clinics as you can. Then, get out there and start calling games. Reading books and getting training is great, but there's really no way to truly understand how to umpire without getting out there and doing it.

I know quite a few basketball referees who also umpire baseball, so you may be able to get some of your current colleagues to help you find an association and get started.

Different umpires have different reasons for umpiring. Some do it for the check, some do it to "give back" to the game or the community.

For me, neither of these is a primary motivation. From my perspective, there are a lot easier ways to earn money and the game will get along just fine without my contribution; I choose to contribute to my community in other ways.

I umpire because I enjoy it, I find it challenging, and I like baseball. Plus, you get to wear tights and nobody makes fun of you for it!

JM
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
Fisrt off the Pitiching Team won the game. Second off yeah I want to ump to fill the gap but not only that....I also want to give back to the community. I am not worried about the paychecks at all.
Not to be preachy or controlling or anything, but if the paycheck isn't important IMHO coaching a team would be helping the community much more than umping. Lord knows the world needs more coaches that actually care about the kids rather than caoching just to get their kid playing time.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
#2 Runners on 1st and 2nd (I will refrain from using R1 on 2nd and R2 on 1st to keep from confusing anyone new), 1 out. High fligh ball to SS over near 2b, runner on 1b runs to 2b and is on his way to 3rd when he passes the runner on 2b who is coming back to the bag. They don't touch each other. SS takes his eye off the ball as the runner from 1b goes by and the runner on 2b takes a look at the runner from 1b who just passed him and as he does he is struck by the fly ball on it's way down.

What are the call(s)?
Whether IFF should have been called or not I don't know, high fly is a relative term and we don't know weather conditions or original placement of fielders.
DG never said IFF was called, which if it was it should have been prior to hitting R2.
Since IFF was not called. Correct ruling would be R1 out for passing and R2 out for interference BR on 1st with 2 outs.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG

What are the call(s)?

Iff BR is out.
R1 is out for being stupid - passing R2
If I'm reading this right, R2 is back on the bag when he is hit by the ball... he gets a bruise. If he's off the bag.. then he's out also
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Whether IFF should have been called or not I don't know, high fly is a relative term and we don't know weather conditions or original placement of fielders.
DG never said IFF was called, which if it was it should have been prior to hitting R2.
Since IFF was not called. Correct ruling would be R1 out for passing and R2 out for interference BR on 1st with 2 outs.
Don, Im sure you are aware that IFF doesnt have to be called to be an IFF. As long as the IFF conditions are met, the defense and offense are expected to know the situation....
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Don, Im sure you are aware that IFF doesnt have to be called to be an IFF. As long as the IFF conditions are met, the defense and offense are expected to know the situation....
That's why i prefaced with saying I did not know weather conditions, original placement of fielders and mentioning that "high fly" is a relative term. Not every pop up in an IFF situation is an IFF.

I'm sure DG assumed that we would all assume it was an IFF, however, as a contrarian I chose not to make that assumption.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

archangel,
As I'm sure you are aware, it's only an IFF if the umpire judges that it could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort. In this particular case, I can't tell. How can you?
JM
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

" High fligh ball to SS over near 2b"

Since SS is a player not a location, he is camped under the ball. The ball is coming "to" him. IFF criteria is met. Oh and How do I know what the umpire is thinking, because these are, "you're the umpire, How would you rule", situations.

The wording used does not require assumption on anyone's part, it is very straight forward. but thanks for trying to be that "Fly".

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to get snotty about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
" High fligh ball to SS over near 2b"

Since SS is a player not a location, he is camped under the ball. The ball is coming "to" him. IFF criteria is met. Oh and How do I know what the umpire is thinking, because these are, "you're the umpire, How would you rule", situations.

The wording used does not require assumption on anyone's part, it is very straight forward. but thanks for trying to be that "Fly".

I agree, it doesn't require assumptions. So why do you insist on making them?

I didn't see the words camped in the OP, if you think he was camped you've made an assumption. If he was camped, R3 would likely had to have made contact with F6 prior to getting hit by the ball. Unless you assume F6 voluntarily moved out of R3s way. No mention of this in the OP.

You're also assuming to know exactly what the DG meant by "fly to SS"

Since no location on the infield (except pitchers mound and maybe up the middle) actually has an easy location term associated with it ie RF, LF CF, many times the location is described by the normal playing position of an infielder or simply by referring to the infielder who had the best opportunity to make the play. For example
While my grandmas in the bathroom a slow grounder is hit toward F4, F3 however cuts it off and makes a great toss to F1 covering. One out.
Grandma comes back and sees one out on the board and asks " how'd they make the out" I respond "Grounder to first"
The ball was neither hit to the first baseman or to first base but since F3 is the one that made the play "grounder to first" is an acceptable answer.

back to the OP
"Hi fly to SS" could very well mean the SS was the only fielder making an attempt on the ball or if the fly was to the left of the bag some may just assume it to be to the SS regardless or where F6 was at TOP, in either case it doesn't have to mean he's camped and has a play with ordinary effort. Unless you assume it to be.
Even if SS was close we could have gusting winds and a high sun. The ball could be up near the short stop but he loses it in the sun, maybe a gust of wind takes it at the same time. I don't have an automatic IFF.

Since DG did not say that this fly should be caught with ordinary effort I chose not to assume it when I made my ruling.
You obviously did. Not that there's anything wrong with that, you're the umpire---Assume away