The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I have just joined this forum. And have this one question what do you do, when in your first year you have to hustle your butt off to get games because your assignor does not call you or don't return your calls.

I have gotten some good information form some of you that have been in the game for a while.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 04:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Not sure how to answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by BMA
I have just joined this forum. And have this one question what do you do, when in your first year you have to hustle your butt off to get games because your assignor does not call you or don't return your calls.

I have gotten some good information form some of you that have been in the game for a while.
Well I have a question, is this the only assignor that you can deal with?

And if it is, I would need more information on why you think he or she does not return your phone calls. Maybe all you need to do is introduce yourself. If you have already done that, maybe you need to just be upfront with that person and say you would like to "help" them out.

Usually first year officials are met with great admiration. Let us face it, you do not know any better, they can usually send you anywhere. But I do think you need to give us more information in order to truely answer your question.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Here's some frank and honest advice.

1- Don't act like a victim. Don't piss and moan to other officials that the assigner doesn't call you or return your calls, or doesn't give you any games.

2- Don't brown nose or suck up. It's unbecoming and everyone will notice if you do.

3- Find yourself a mentor. Ask him to guide you and to be honest with you about your game. Be sure's he's a quality official, well respected, and willing to spend time with you.

Good luck!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Tony hit the nail on the head!!

I have seen some recent examples of all of these. The most obvious though is the infamous butt-kisser. This is the WORST reputation to have in our business. It kills me to see an official think he can talk his way up through the ranks. This type of behavior really puts the spotlight on them and when they do make mistakes (as we all do), they are magnified.

My advice... ...work hard, never turn down a game and always look like a million dollars. If those things don't get you some attention, then you may not have what it takes. Not everyone does.

good luck.

Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMA
......because your assignor does not call you or don't return your calls.....
Try sending letters, e-mails, and singing telegrams. When I was first trying to introduce myself to assigners, I had better luck with letters saying things like "Hi my name's dan, I'm a first year official, and I'm available on such and such dates. Here's my number, e-mail, and address if you're interested in me officiating for you."

Most assigners I know are busy enough that they don't like to be bothered with phone calls, and 3 of the 4 assigners that I work for prefer e-mail as their first mode of contact.

Best of luck
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 11:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down

I disagree, I would still call again and again. What better way to find out what that individual wants. You may never find out by letter, email or word of mouth. Always use the phone and call. And if you cannot get in contact with someone the first time, you call again. It is that simple.

All you are calling about is to tell this individual that you are available. Unless they tell you specifically not to call, I would still call.

There is one assignor that I know that wants everything over the internet. He wants all your availibility information by email and going thru his particualar homepage. But the only way you would know this, by talking to him personally, or having to look at his homepage. You probably would not know much about his homepage if you just are starting out.

You have to use the phone until they tell you other wise. When they want you to do a game, most of the time they use the phone, why should you not use the phone?
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Smile

Getting games is a matter of getting a reputation. If you have a good assignor, he will call you with a game. If the first two or three times he calls, you turn back the game, he might never call you again. What I do is when he calls me is ask about dates down the road that are open. If he has time to talk he will fill those slots with you. If not he will be calling later to fill them. I will also corner him at meetings and ask, what dates are open. I will go to him with the attitude that I will take a 3rd grade girls game if it is available. I will take the JV game of the big rivalry if I can get it just so I can watch the varsity game. But I am there not to make the assignors job a pain. I want everything he has available. But take only the games I can do because of availability and ability to call. In time, the assignor will be calling you asking you to call that big game.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks for the advise

To all of you who replied, thank you. This web site should be given to all new officals, it is a good tool for better understanding and getting diffrent view points of the game.