The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   New Umpire advise (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/32765-new-umpire-advise.html)

IHSAref Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17pm

New Umpire advise

I am trying to decide if I should start umpiring baseball. I am already doing volleyball and basketball and just trying to fill the gap. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

DG Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:23pm

Do you know anything about baseball?

Justme Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
Do you know anything about baseball?

If not don't worry.....it hasn't stopped a lot of guys from umpiring.

IHSAref Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:42pm

sorry guys...I do know some about baseball, but not much...the basics and i mean the basics...but i am willing to work hard to learn all the finer rules...

justanotherblue Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justme
If not don't worry.....it hasn't stopped a lot of guys from umpiring.

LMAOOOO.....true..so true!

UmpJM Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:35pm

IHSAref,

I wonder if you would be willing to take a simple test.

This is kind of a "tradition" on this board when somebody new posts here. We like it, because it helps us better figure out how best to frame our answers to the questions you might have.

And most new posters think it's kind of "fun", in a mildly challenging way.

So, answer these three questions.

With 2 outs, a 2-2 count, with runners on 2nd & 3rd in the bottom of the last inning with the home team trailing by one run, the batter takes a might swing at an "inside middle" pitch and hits the ball off his hands and it dribbles down the 3B line. As the (RH) batter takes off for 1B, he has a minor "tangle" with the catcher who is attempting to field the ball before it crosses the foul line.

The catcher gets the ball, but as he's firing the ball to F3, he slips and throws wildy. As F9 retrieves the errant throw, the R3 and R2 touch home plat, and the BR comes into third standing up.

As the ball comes into the infield, the defense appeals that the BR missed 1B (which he did - by a LOT) and the BU saw it.

Your question is, "Who won the game"?

Ozzy, you want to give him question #2? Or, you know, whoever's on now, Garth? DG?

JM

GarthB Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJM
IHSAref,

I
Ozzy, you want to give him question #2? Or, you know, whoever's on now, Garth? DG?

JM

Nahh. When I read this: "I am already doing volleyball and basketball and just trying to fill the gap", I tuned him out. There are many good reasons to umpire baseball. Filling the gap is not one of them.

Rich Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Nahh. When I read this: "I am already doing volleyball and basketball and just trying to fill the gap", I tuned him out. There are many good reasons to umpire baseball. Filling the gap is not one of them.

It's not a reason to keep officiating, I agree, but a lot of good officials have started with that mindset. It's how I started working football and I got hooked, quickly.

Welpe Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJM
IHSAref,

IYour question is, "Who won the game"?

I'm somewhat new to this forum, but have been calling ball games for a while now. Can I answer?

My answer: Neither team wins, I run both benches for making a travesty of the game and walk off the field, leaving my partner still in B to deal with the impending riot. It doesn't matter though because I'm stylin' with my matching patent leather ball bags, plate shoes and belt complemented perfectly with my custom Member's Only plate coat.

Welpe Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:38am

OK seriously now....IHSA I don't have much advice because I've grown up with baseball, I couldn't wait to turn 13 so I could start umpiring games with the local Little League. I've found the passion for the game is what has made being an umpire so enjoyable. I think if you like baseball and know what its like to be an official, give it a shot, you may love it.

If you're in the mood to sample sports, try out fast pitch softball too. I did that for a few years and while the games were still fun, they definitely weren't baseball games. I know in my area, an ASA umpire starting out could make more money than a youth baseball umpire, if that's a concern at all.

GarthB Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
It's not a reason to keep officiating, I agree, but a lot of good officials have started with that mindset. It's how I started working football and I got hooked, quickly.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Rich Thu Mar 15, 2007 01:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Not all good officials start and stay for pure reasons. If it wasn't for the money grubbers or time fillers I'd never fill the league I assign.

Some of the best in my league are purely in it for the money, too. It happens.

GarthB Thu Mar 15, 2007 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Not all good officials start and stay for pure reasons. If it wasn't for the money grubbers or time fillers I'd never fill the league I assign.

Some of the best in my league are purely in it for the money, too. It happens.

Rich....the only "reason" I addressed was "to fill the gap."

I didn't say it wasn't a reason, I said I didn't believe it was a good reason.

IHSAref Thu Mar 15, 2007 07:48am

Fisrt off the Pitiching Team won the game. Second off yeah I want to ump to fill the gap but not only that....I also want to give back to the community. I am not worried about the paychecks at all.

ozzy6900 Thu Mar 15, 2007 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHSAref
Fisrt off the Pitiching Team won the game. Second off yeah I want to ump to fill the gap but not only that....I also want to give back to the community. I am not worried about the paychecks at all.

I am not being a wise a$$ here - go down to your local LL or kiddie ball and watch the guys/kids umpire there. If you want to give back, that's a great place to start. See if you can grab a rule book from them (if not an MLB rule book will do for now) and read it! Ask questions and keep your eyes open. As an official, you will pretty much spot the good officials from the bad ones. Stick with the better ones.

Regards,
Ozzy