The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Uncaught Third Strike Mechanic

PBUC is now teaching the following mechanic for the uncaught third strike:

1. Indicate strike with right hand pointing to the right, even when normally utilzing the "hammer" for strike calls. (New pro umpire candidates at PBUC are all using the hammer as their strike signal.)

then

2. Give "safe sign" while saying: "No catch"

By indicating the strike with the point instead of the hammer, there will be no confusion as to whether an "out" sign was given.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Seems like a good move-Never liked the hammer for a strike, anyway

That is why I never liked the hammer for a strike. Too confusing on dropped third strike. Not sure I like the safe sign and "no catch" either. No catch seems good but using the safe sign seems confusing and too busy.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

A saw a D1 umpire use the safe sign in a game Saturday on a steal of 2B, when the batter was close to interfering with the catcher. I assumed he was indicating "no interference".
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
A saw a D1 umpire use the safe sign in a game Saturday on a steal of 2B, when the batter was close to interfering with the catcher. I assumed he was indicating "no interference".
You'll see that whenever there might be something that the umpire judges to be nothing (nearly interference, nearly obstruction, etc.) It's the umpire telling the participants that he saw the play and made a ruling on it. Usually accompanied by the vebal, "That's nothing."
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
You'll see that whenever there might be something that the umpire judges to be nothing (nearly interference, nearly obstruction, etc.) It's the umpire telling the participants that he saw the play and made a ruling on it. Usually accompanied by the vebal, "That's nothing."
This is a good mechanic and seems to help stave off complaints and questions from the participants. I just started doing this about 3 seasons ago, and I found it very hard to adapt. Give it a try, and you'll see the decline in discussions over possible interference and/or obstruction right away.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I heard from an instructor at a clinic (when and where escapes me at the moment) that an easy way to distinguish the "thats nothing" call from a "safe call" is to use clenched fists on the "thats nothing".

I do not use this mechanic myself, has anyone else heard of this?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.