View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

IHSAref,

Quote:
I am trying to decide if I should start umpiring baseball. I am already doing volleyball and basketball and just trying to fill the gap. Any advise would be great! Thanks!
Now that we've all had a little fun, let's see if we can't actually try to answer your question, which, if I understand it correctly, is:

"Should I start umpiring baseball?"

and,

"If I should, how should I go about getting started?"

Ultimately, you have to answer the first question yourself. Some seem to suggest that the way you ask the question indicates that you really shouldn't, while others suggest that even asking the question indicates you ought to at least give it a shot.

Should you decide to give it a shot, I think ozzy has given you some very good advice, namely, go watch a few games at the level you would plan to officiate. Whether that's youth ball or (inferring you do basketball and volleyball at the HS level) High School ball or whatever.

He also suggests getting a rule book and reading it. Also very good advice. After reading it, you should be confused about some things. If you're not, you didn't read it very carefully.

If you decide you'd like to try it, I would suggest that you join an association. This will provide a pool of umpires that you can turn to with questions, and most associations provide some degree of training for their members. Attend as many training clinics as you can. Then, get out there and start calling games. Reading books and getting training is great, but there's really no way to truly understand how to umpire without getting out there and doing it.

I know quite a few basketball referees who also umpire baseball, so you may be able to get some of your current colleagues to help you find an association and get started.

Different umpires have different reasons for umpiring. Some do it for the check, some do it to "give back" to the game or the community.

For me, neither of these is a primary motivation. From my perspective, there are a lot easier ways to earn money and the game will get along just fine without my contribution; I choose to contribute to my community in other ways.

I umpire because I enjoy it, I find it challenging, and I like baseball. Plus, you get to wear tights and nobody makes fun of you for it!

JM