View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to get snotty about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
" High fligh ball to SS over near 2b"

Since SS is a player not a location, he is camped under the ball. The ball is coming "to" him. IFF criteria is met. Oh and How do I know what the umpire is thinking, because these are, "you're the umpire, How would you rule", situations.

The wording used does not require assumption on anyone's part, it is very straight forward. but thanks for trying to be that "Fly".

I agree, it doesn't require assumptions. So why do you insist on making them?

I didn't see the words camped in the OP, if you think he was camped you've made an assumption. If he was camped, R3 would likely had to have made contact with F6 prior to getting hit by the ball. Unless you assume F6 voluntarily moved out of R3s way. No mention of this in the OP.

You're also assuming to know exactly what the DG meant by "fly to SS"

Since no location on the infield (except pitchers mound and maybe up the middle) actually has an easy location term associated with it ie RF, LF CF, many times the location is described by the normal playing position of an infielder or simply by referring to the infielder who had the best opportunity to make the play. For example
While my grandmas in the bathroom a slow grounder is hit toward F4, F3 however cuts it off and makes a great toss to F1 covering. One out.
Grandma comes back and sees one out on the board and asks " how'd they make the out" I respond "Grounder to first"
The ball was neither hit to the first baseman or to first base but since F3 is the one that made the play "grounder to first" is an acceptable answer.

back to the OP
"Hi fly to SS" could very well mean the SS was the only fielder making an attempt on the ball or if the fly was to the left of the bag some may just assume it to be to the SS regardless or where F6 was at TOP, in either case it doesn't have to mean he's camped and has a play with ordinary effort. Unless you assume it to be.
Even if SS was close we could have gusting winds and a high sun. The ball could be up near the short stop but he loses it in the sun, maybe a gust of wind takes it at the same time. I don't have an automatic IFF.

Since DG did not say that this fly should be caught with ordinary effort I chose not to assume it when I made my ruling.
You obviously did. Not that there's anything wrong with that, you're the umpire---Assume away