The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 02:56pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
In the play at hand, I'm sure whoever posted it meant for the runner who started at second to be off the bag when he was hit by the ball. He's out. Triple play with no one from the defense touching the ball after it was hit.
Re-reading the problem yet again, you're right. There is no specific mention of the runner at 2nd being on the bag when he was hit by the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Under which condition is R2 (runners starting at second in the normal world are designated R2) safe when the ball hits him on the bag?

Serious question (and there is a right and wrong answer).
It's sad but I had to look this up, according to OBR 7.08 (f) a runner in that situation would be safe if the IFF rule was in effect.

Quote:
It seemed from his post that being on a "legally acquired base" was reason enough for him, but I was curious if he was just assuming that the play was an IFF.
I was thinking the former and that is because I accidently applied 7.08(b) and the comment to a batted ball hitting a runner - which obviously is not appropriate.

From MLB.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.08
A runner is out when-- (b)He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball;
Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.
If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the umpire shall declare the batter out.
Rich and Bob, thanks for your patience on this sitch. I haven't called ball in about four years and I'm just starting to get back into reading the rules again. This has a been a great thread for me, even if it was a bit painful for you guys and I appreciate you typing very slowly and using small words for me.