The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Do any of you veterans have some advice for a first-time state tournament official? Maybe a list of do's or don'ts? Thanks ahead of time for the info.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
1) Dress Professionally on and off the court.

2) Always Hustle.

3) Use crisp NFHS mechanics.

4) Remember you deserve to be there.

5) Last but not least "HAVE FUN"!!!!!

What tourney you going to? I am also going to a Washington State tourney.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Thumbs up Congrat!

Ears and eyes open....MOUTH SHUT!!!!

Make everything a positive experience. You are there because of your ability. Just work the games assigned, regardless of the classification.

What you say and do off the court is many times more important that what you do on the court in the eyes of those who select the officials for the state tournament. Do nothing to make them regret their decision.

Have a great time and cherish the memory. It will be one of the highlights of your career, regardless of how high you advance in your officiating career.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
Do any of you veterans have some advice for a first-time state tournament official?
When and if I ever get a Mass state tournament game, I'll pass on any helpful hints I pick up. Fingers crossed for this month. . .

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, Congratulations!
Enjoy the games you do, and don't be too dissapointed if you don't work as far into the tournament as you'd like to.
Not many first-timers make it to the semi's or finals.

Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 06:32pm
9 times

Do the things that got you there. Don't try and do too much. Relax and enjoy the experience.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Remember that however many fans there are, however big the gym is, whatever's at stake, whether or not the game's on TV, or whatever -- no more will be asked of you than at any other game this year. Your first foul of the game should still be a good, solid call. You should still keep a patient whistle and let the kids play. You should still be aware of the clock, foul count, AP, and the other little things that that you normally do. You should still trust your partner and watch your primary. The game will be the same. Just a bit more exciting. You got picked for a reason. Ref your own game, be a good partner, and HAVE FUN!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up WA State Assignment

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
What tourney you going to? I am also going to a Washington State tourney.
Hey, Congrats guys. Looks like we have a few of us, on this Forum, going to the Washington State Tourneys.

I am fortunate enough to get my second State Assignment this year. I am going to the B Tournament in Spokane, WA.
Last year had the 2A Tourney in Yakima, WA. (It was my First State Tourney...BIG TIME "Pucker Factor" ...some advice, don't change what you have been doing all year, try to relax and just have fun...hope you get a partner that compliments each of you.)

We get to choose in the order we are selected from our Association...I selected second and picked the B Tourney since my buddy picked the 4A Tourney in Tacoma, Wa with the first pick. I had already been to Yakima and wanted to see what alot of the guys were saying about the B Tourney being a great one in Spokane.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Have a great time and cherish the memory. It will be one of the highlights of your career
AMEN to that! It is what we have worked so hard for...absolutely a great experience!

GOOD LUCK!...congrats to all on this board who are achieving thier goals...and a big THANK-YOU to those of you that have helped us attain these goals.

Dude

Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Do any of you veterans have some advice for a first-time state tournament official? Maybe a list of do's or don'ts? Thanks ahead of time for the info.

Be there nice and early, and I mean reallllyy early. Gives you time to relax and focus.
Please don't bring friends with you that want to get in at no charge. If you want to bring significant other, please call ahead and ask. (always offer to pay for s.o.)
Wear clean underwear.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 08:02pm
Esteemed Participant

1)Dress up for the Tuesday evening meeting - do not go in jeans or sweats! The evaluators are at the same meeting, and you can't change that first impression they get from you...

2)Like Ron Pilo said - use crisp, sharp Fed. mechanics - that's the biggest thing that will move you on or get you bounced early...

3)Stay in your own pasture - don't go grazing in your partner's primary area!

4)Re-read what Pilo wrote - he's done extremely well at the WA State tournaments...

5)Enjoy every minute of it - meet every official you can (girl's side, boy's side, who cares) and watch every second of ball you can!!

6)Hustle your butt off!

Congrats and good luck!!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question What is wrong with bringing friends?

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:

Be there nice and early, and I mean reallllyy early. Gives you time to relax and focus.
Please don't bring friends with you that want to get in at no charge. If you want to bring significant other, please call ahead and ask. (always offer to pay for s.o.)
Wear clean underwear.
Why is there a problem with bringing friends? I do this all the time and no one says a thing. I tell them they are with me and they say nothing. I did this during the football season playoffs and no one said anything or made a fuss.

Just asking.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: What is wrong with bringing friends?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:

Wear clean underwear.
Why is there a problem with bringing friends? I do this all the time and no one says a thing. I tell them they are with me and they say nothing. I did this during the football season playoffs and no one said anything or made a fuss.

Just asking.

Peace
Rut -- It may depend on the venue. I know around here they are extremely tight with the extra admissions. Probably best to check ahead.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: What is wrong with bringing friends?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Rut -- It may depend on the venue. I know around here they are extremely tight with the extra admissions. Probably best to check ahead.
Well Juulie, around here it is very common for people to bring friends, fellow officials, wives, girlfriends, parents and children and have never had them pay anything to enter the facilities.

When my mentor that got me involved in officiating got his first regional, I went with him to every game. I never paid a cent to watch him officiate. As a matter of fact, I taped all games for all officials (I happened to know all the officials in this particular regional). We never asked called ahead for permission. I guess it is one of those "regional" things we talk about from time to time.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Good Job Pirate, my Prayers and thoughts will be with you!

Make Us Proud!
CK
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Treat it like any other game, because every game is important to the participants. Seriously, don't worry about it. I'm sure you conduct yourself in a professional manner always. Congratulations.