a poor mountainman who berely keep his family fed
one season it seems that ol' Jeb took to umpiring
so as to put some extra vittles on the table
if you could call that thing a table
any hows ol Jeb was doing a game at the dish one day
when low n behold along comes a routine play at 1st
with no one on his partner bangs out the batter runner
and Jeb thinks yup sure nuff was a good call
now all of a sudden out comed the scorekeeper of all people all rambunctious an carry'n on with such a ruckus
now poor ol Jeb is beside himself with bewilderment
and kinda wonder'n and confused bout hows to get back inside
when ol hick pencil pusher jaws on Jeb bout gettn the
calls right fer gawd sakes
well yall knows what happen thens
pencil neck goes over the mountain and through the woods
real spritely we might add
so things are settled down and ol Jeb's back at the dish
when out comed the manager who now wants to jaw a piece
bout why pencil neck got winged like geese headed south
ol' Jeb knows bout this ol bird manager being a
arrogant dictator intimidating type
but Jeb lets him jaw a spell and then finally gives
the manager the word that this ain't going no wheres
so lets play some more of this here ballgame
ol Jeb figures since things went along after that
just as slick as chiken crap on a wet hen house floor
that things were all settled and done with
however a couple days later ol Jeb's assigner calls
and says to ol Jeb that hees a making a schedule change
cause that ol manager has called and donts wants ol Jeb back
says ol Jeb is an unapproachable sort a feller
now poor ol Jeb donts know what to do
cause he thought he done a gooden game
buts the assigner says thats the way it is ol Jeb
and you really donts want to sees him again away does ya
now ol Jeb being the poor ol ignorant hillbilly he is
just had an inkling hed sees what you all thinks bout this blackballn stuff and how to deal squarely with it
yall write back now ya hear

Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Cool When the goin' get hot

Blackballing, scratching, zero listing comes up often in discussions.

Many associations (boards, groups etc.) have specific rules about how this process is used.

First, it is important that schools, conferences and teams have this right.

Second, I don't wanna go no where's I am not wanted.

Third, there must be a system.

I would much rather have a system of scratching umpires than allowing coaches the power of naming people they want . . . if there is a system it makes the coaches think before using this power.

I believe what Carl says is true on umpire/coach arguments. Arguments start by Umpire Error. This umpire error can grow into a conflict that is not good for umpires, players, coaches and fans.

In my area any coach can blackball any two umpires (however, when you scratch an umpire there is a very high chance you will se that umpire when on the road). The umpires are seldom (if ever) told of the blacklisting.

So tell ole Jeb (after all he is now a Millionaire) take the REST of his assignments and be happy.

There are more places to work.

Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Roger,

The coaches here don't have the power to blackball. On the contrary, we're such ornery cusses, if a coach were to demand that ump A never do one of his games again, he would get ump A for the next three games, guaranteed.

I really don't know how I would react to be being blackballed.

I learned enough about you at our social meeting this summer to believe what you say and to understand your bewilderment. Between you and your partner, I've heard enough about your association to wonder why you don't join another. Is Rochester too long a drive to work for those folks instead of the Canandaigua folks? How about Victor? Geneva? Shoot, just come out to Spokane and I'll put you to work.

GarthB
Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I don't feel that any association should allow a coach to blackball any umpire. The association should have a committee to oversee their umpires and give the coaches a forum to raise their complaints. The association should have guidelines as to how to deal with penalties that they deem pertinent. What if you called a good game, but the coach didn't like you for whatever reason, should that be a reason to get blackballed? I don't think so. Umpires should police themselves.

Regards
Phil
Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

furst whees gottsa ask whys ole pencil neck sa comin jebs way instead of mr hatfields ways outs at BU ? Seemsalike heesa gettin off kinda easy fer starters. thout ole
pencilneck woodÂ’ve gone fer hatfield in this sitch? shur understand thet once yous behind the pig sty in the goop yous gottsa do sumthin to get out, and the last things yousa
lookin fer is more goop !

be in an ass igner meself, wees can only say wees a tryin to keep yÂ’all smilin. Butt, sum times weesa gottsa give inda the top dogs and does whats they wants dun. ujually thatsa just keepin sumin away from sumin else. Not to tuff to do evin ifin wees dunt like it. Dunt undastand tho why ole jebs goen fer good? lessen thereÂ’s ben lotsa udder problims befer. a good assiner can ujually suport a fue problems, itsa when theysa keep repete in thatsa tuff to do. ifin yer assiner dun gives ya no chance ta tell yousa side a whatsa gone rong, yousa prubably gottsa rong assiner. keepsa lookin fer sumin who betta presheates jebs talints. good offishells er in demand, speshally perfeshinal ones likin yer ritins in yer post seem ta sho. thisin isa problim tween yous en the leag, er the assiner, not the coach. sounds lik mees en yousa be a good match fer a cru.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Any association that allows a coach to blackball an ump is not worth working for. Any other umps in this association who don't refuse to work until this situation is fixed, should turn in their indicators.

Bob
Old Sat Nov 18, 2000, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I appreciate the humour, but do you realise how hard it is for an Aussie to decipher this kind of hillbilly talk? Â* Although there is no such system of "black balling" or "black listing" down here, I can understand the frustration. A couple of points:

1. The scorer is NOT entitled to be on the playing field and should have been sent packing with a "flea in the ear", post haste.

2. The manager should have been told flat that the scorer is NOT authorised to enter the playing field, much less to argue about judgement calls.

Sounds like "ol' Jeb" might be a ways better off away from that ground, but if I was his assignor I'd be sending him back in a 3-man crew with two of my toughest harda$$ officials. This manager AND his scorer need sorting out badly. The real problem comes if the umpire association is relying on a "contract" from this coach's team/league. I don't know how you sort that out in your system over there. Over here the league, and its member clubs, are PROHIBITED BY RULE from interfering in the selection of umpires. We've even had the pleasure of telling the League President that his "suggestions" for our District League Grand Final crew would be totally disregarded.

The fact is that coaches, managers, league presidents, etc., seldom have ANY IDEA what makes a really good umpire. They will often make judgements about an individual umpire's competence without ever having any clue themselves about mechanics, rules, interpretations, or anything else of relevence - and that includes game management. Our answer is to keep them away from interfering in assignments. If that is not possible then it is up to your assignor to eductate them as much as he can before eventually surrendering to their capricious whims over personality conflicts and the like.

I once worked for an assignor who would put the ball back into the complainant's court, saying something like "So this guy rubs you the wrong way, hmmm? Does he have a good consistent zone? Does he get the calls right most of the time? Would you rather have that or would you prefer I assign someone who is real easy to get along with but can't make consistently correct calls?"

Your assignor is the one who is in a position to influence, guide, or correct these people. All he needs is a little gumption! Now THAT'S a word I'm sure ol' Jeb has used more than once! Â*

Cheers,

Warren Willson
Old Sat Nov 18, 2000, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Jon Bible once said, "Perception is reality". In umpiring I tend to agree (most of the time). While I disagree with blackballing, and it is NOT condoned in my part of the midwest, if I perceive a coach has a problem with me working his games, more often than not I will choose not to work for him. Unfortunately, his problems with me, whatever their origin, will lead to the perception by his team that for whatever reason I am not the guy for the job. The younger the players, the more pronounced the influence the coach has on them. Young players hearing a coach say, "This guy is terrible" can usually be seen nodding their heads. Older players are more apt to be able to consider the source of the remark, and if they think their coach is a jerk they may not support his stand. I don't run from trouble, but I have given up assignments for the sake of The Game. I don't need the hassles, and neither do the competitors.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2000, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Poor Jeb...

He's-a-forgettin' that the manager HASta' back up the scorekeeper whenever she hoots and stirs up a ruckus cause they is married.

If'n the manager didn't say nuthin', his-a-wife woulda' smacked him on his head just the same as when they were brother and sister growin' up.

--Mario Fiermonte

Old Sun Nov 19, 2000, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Re: Poor Jeb...

You be a right smart feller Mario (and where's your brother)
I'd totally overlooked this possibility,
gosh darn and gee wilikers.......comes to think'n bout it
I think they was ALL those things!

QUOTE]Originally posted by Mario F
He's-a-forgettin' that the manager HASta' back up the scorekeeper whenever she hoots and stirs up a ruckus cause they is married.

If'n the manager didn't say nuthin', his-a-wife woulda' smacked him on his head just the same as when they were brother and sister growin' up.

--Mario Fiermonte

[/QUOTE]
Old Sun Nov 19, 2000, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

At first I thought you guys were poken at me. Then I just realized you are just ignert of proper spellen and gramer.

Let me site an example.

" his-a-wife woulda' smacked him on his head "

--Mario Fiermonte

The proper phrase is --- smacked him up BESIDE the head.

C.C. can teach you the Kings way, I'll correct you when try to be a crackers.

Thank God for spell check.

rex
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]I don't need the hassles, and neither do the competitors.

This quote is the bottom line. I've been blackballed one time. It was from a coach for whom I'd never worked a game. He got the uniform numbers wrong and blackballed the wrong guy. Since the umpires are never notified of a coach's blackball, I only found out about it 2 years later quite by accident.

I can't say I honestly cared one way or the other. One assignment is pretty much like another in my book.

Vern
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drifter
"I don't need the hassles, and neither do the competitors."

This quote is the bottom line. I've been blackballed one time. It was from a coach for whom I'd never worked a game. He got the uniform numbers wrong and blackballed the wrong guy. Since the umpires are never notified of a coach's blackball, I only found out about it 2 years later quite by accident.

I can't say I honestly cared one way or the other. One assignment is pretty much like another in my book.

Vern
Vern,

Would you have cared if that coach had got the uniform numbers right and you were still red lined?

The problem I have with this practice is that it is really a defacto way of attempting to unfairly influence the outcome of a game. I'm sure that at least some competitors would object to that if they truly thought it through.

A coach who says he doesn't want you around is not going to do it, most of the time, simply because he doesn't like you. Ask Carl Childress if that is or isn't so. It is my understanding that, in the NFHS system at least, the coach has a limited number of such "red lines" he can draw through umpire's names on the assignor's sheet. Why waste them on strictly personal issues?

I believe that most coaches would be much more likely to use the "black ball" if they felt their team would benefit by not having this umpire or that call their games. Maybe it's because the guy won't call high curves when the coach has a curve ball pitcher who can't break them early enough. Maybe it's because the guy gives a bit too much at the outside of the plate, and his weaker hitting team struggles as a result. Do you see the point I'm making here?

It doesn't matter whether the they are right or wrong in their assessments, coaches and players should NOT be able to set the tone for any game by helping to decide who does or doesn't get the opportunity to make the call. That's against the real spirit and intent of the game.

Cheers,

Warren Willson
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

"Hottt dangg is'n that you daddy????"
Truth be told ol Jeb has only had 7 players and two coach ejections in 16 years - the only questionable ejection was the first coach Jeb tossed, Jeb probably should have keep quiet himself but that would have only keep ol coach around a bit more cause he was a itch'n ifn you knows what I mean.
Ol Jeb never has figered out why pencil neck came a jaw'n at him cause it was his a partners call. Partner and Jeb had a good chuckle over how partner skated and ol Jeb took the heat for some dang reason.
Ol Jeb has come of the belief that dat ol ass igner belongs n the chicken coop with the rest of the poop.....
As to doing a game - Jeb's sorry to say that will have to be a put on hold..... wez a gitten dumped on with tha white crap right now, bout a foot worth - - - pith!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
furst whees gottsa ask whys ole pencil neck sa comin jebs way instead of mr hatfields ways outs at BU ? Seemsalike heesa gettin off kinda easy fer starters. thout ole
pencilneck woodÂ’ve gone fer hatfield in this sitch? shur understand thet once yous behind the pig sty in the goop yous gottsa do sumthin to get out, and the last things yousa
lookin fer is more goop !

be in an ass igner meself, wees can only say wees a tryin to keep yÂ’all smilin. Butt, sum times weesa gottsa give inda the top dogs and does whats they wants dun. ujually thatsa just keepin sumin away from sumin else. Not to tuff to do evin ifin wees dunt like it. Dunt undastand tho why ole jebs goen fer good? lessen thereÂ’s ben lotsa udder problims befer. a good assiner can ujually suport a fue problems, itsa when theysa keep repete in thatsa tuff to do. ifin yer assiner dun gives ya no chance ta tell yousa side a whatsa gone rong, yousa prubably gottsa rong assiner. keepsa lookin fer sumin who betta presheates jebs talints. good offishells er in demand, speshally perfeshinal ones likin yer ritins in yer post seem ta sho. thisin isa problim tween yous en the leag, er the assiner, not the coach. sounds lik mees en yousa be a good match fer a cru.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warren Willson It doesn't matter whether the they are right or wrong in their assessments, coaches and players should NOT be able to set the tone for any game by helping to decide who does or doesn't get the opportunity to make the call. That's against the real spirit and intent of the game.

I wasn't going to go into this but I will. Blackballing umpires, if done for the correct reasons, is a gift to the umpire association. You can't hide a bad umpire for long.

Example. Two years ago, an umpire was assigned to a playoff game and got the plate. I was in the stands, out of uniform, to do a later game. For no apparent reason, this guy, called a runner out while rounding third after a home run. The third base coach shook his hand as he rounded the base. When the inevitable riot started I left the stands and hid behind the concession stand.

My point is that these two schools were like the 14th and 15th schools to blackball this guy. He couldn't get any more assignments, he was running out of schools. Justice was served, and the association, which rarely has enough umpires to double cover all the games, didn't have to make a move.

Vern