View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Misunderstood

Apparently my previous post was misunderstood.

I do not disagree with what Tim C has said in his most recent post. He is correct. I do not take issue with him on these points and I do not mean to attack anyone's opinion.

My disagreement in this issue is not with the symptoms, nor the disease. It is with the cure.

I believe that when assignors and evaluators do their job, there is no need for the practice of "black balling". Black balling puts power in the wrong hands, and that, I believe, is always dangerous.

The power to assign and evaluate should belong in the hands of the associations, not the coaches.

Black balling is an extreme measure used far too often in far less than extreme cases. We do not amputate arms when a finger is broken. We attend to the finger.

And, like Tim C, I understand that there is room for disagreement in this and nearly every issue. My intent in this post is not to press that disagreement, but, hopefully, to better explain my original position.

I shall join Tim C, now in his ride into the sunset in regards to this issue. (Hey Cisco, wait for me.)

If anyone would like to discuss it further or change my feeble mind, feel free to contact me via email at [email protected]

[Edited by GarthB on Nov 22nd, 2000 at 02:01 PM]