View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Cool It works both ways

Last year our association did something new and let umpires choose which schools they wanted to call.

In other words, we could blackball schools that we didn't want to have to put up with.

I thought it was great. There are several coaches who no one really wants to be around because of their continual whining and most of the veterans liked being able to say I don't want to go there.

We have one school that is one of the best teams in the state every year; they are usually one of the top ranked teams in the state, and have won four championships in the last 10 years. However, their coaches constantly whine, their fans are horrible, the police have to be their every time they play because of unruly actions towards umpires, opponents etc.

Most all of the veteran umpires chose not to call there last year and it was great. The coach was stuck with young umpires in their first five years etc.

I ran into the coach on the road and he asked me, "you haven't been to our place this year, what's up?". I didn't tell him we just don't choose to call at your place, but I was laughing as he told me some of the things that have been called on them this year with the young umpires.

What goes around comes around.

Thanks
David