View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drifter

I'm an older, probably more confident (arrogant) umpire. I call a wider strike zone that a lot of young guys who call pitches strikes when they actually hit the black. Are you saying that a high school coach would redline me because he has a "control" pitching staff in an attempt to cash in on a young official's unwillingness to call the outside pitch...?

I guess it's possible, but I don't think I've ever run into a coach who was that devious...or that smart.

Vern
Yeah, that's what I mean ... or what about the reverse? I've got a young umpire who calls a tight zone, but my pitching staff struggles for control and NEEDS the bigger zone AND the outside pitch to go their way. My batters can handle that bigger zone as well as any others. So ... would I red line the younger guy with the "rule book" zone and hope YOU turned up for our games in future? You bet!

Maybe the coaches are just way smarter where I come from, but I honestly don't think so. Give 'em credit, Vern. Coaches will take what you give 'em and then some! If it ain't illegal and it gives them an advantage, they'll find out about it and use it. And even some times if it IS illegal, but they think they can slip it by us. (grin)

Cheers,

Warren Willson

[Edited by Warren Willson on Nov 25th, 2000 at 06:16 PM]