View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayes Davis

Warren,

This is not totally correct. The NFHS is the governing body as to most high school sports played througout the U.S. However, officiating is usually based upon contracts between officials associations and geographical/league/conference entities. Each is a separate contract and may or may not include the right for a coach to "blackball" or "red line" an official. There is no national authority relating to this matter.
Thank you for that advice, Hayes. Of course, I was referring to the "NFHS system" in general and NOT specifically to the NFHS as an organisational body. Whether or not individual contracts formalize the right for coaches or schools to "blackball" or "red line" a certain number of umpires, I believe the overwelming practice is for assignors or associations to allow coaches and schools a limited number of these "choices" as a customer service. I also know there is "no national authority relating to this matter". I was simply referring to the systemic imbalance in favour of this practice.

Cheers,

Warren Willson