View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Cool Old Jeb and that darn Blackball

Awright, I read all the posts above . . . it took awhile since my lips move when I read.

I do not want to sound anything like Peter Osborne but there is an issue here . . .

I support a definitive blackball system. As an ex-assignor I want all types of feed back on the performance of my crews. While a blackball is a rather severe rating it still has value.

I also want to make sure you all saw that I noted after being blackballed in my local that you head back VERY soon to catch the coach when his team is on the road.

Now let me explain WHY I think blackballing is acceptable with limits:

Not all umpires are good.

Not all umpires can handle all levels of games.

Not all umpires can handle all types of people.

Not all coaches are bad.

Not all levels of ball can be called correctly by all umpires.

Not all coaches can handle the attitudes of all umpires.

Umpires need to be evaluated. Umpires need to be controlled by their local group.

I have always said, "I don't want to work someplace that doesn't want me to work there!"

I have said that becasue I don't need another distraction. I don't need to know going in that my skills are not accepted.

The knee-jerk reaction of "by God, nobody is going to blackball any of my umpires!" does no good for anyone.

I have been blackballed ONCE in my life and it has lasted for 26 YEARS. One day one of us will die and the conflict will be over.

BTW, I DESERVED to be blackballed by this coach.