The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:15am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncabalao
I'm not evaluating the NBA officials. I just pointed out a couple of blown calls which are of universal knowledge. To be fair, Wade's "foul" against Terry is arguable, but the one on Nowitzki on game 6 was a clear bad call. I brought it up because someone said, "A hand in the back while shooting? Always". Which made me wonder why the other more obvious ones weren't called.

As you may or may not have figured out by now, Officials form a fraternity, once you become one you stick up for each other. Not that anyone has to. In the cases mentioned in the OP, one can never tell until you walk in the actual officials shoes on the actual court if it was a "Blown" call (your words not mine) or a judgement. My view is, it was what it was. Accept it and move along.
Insults and critisism are reserved rights. You are entitled to your opinion however.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I saw Wade's arm out on that play, but couldn't tell if he was pushing or not. He can stick the arm out as long as he doesn't push with it; players do it all the time. It's legal. And Nowitski was out of position before the arm went up.
You may think it was a blown call, and others may agree with you, but it's hardly a "known fact." It's your opinion as someone who has never reffed a quarter.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

You know, being an official in other sports, I'm normally the last to jump on the referees at any level. I am aware that it's a difficult job, and I'm aware that calls get missed and usually balance out over the course of time. In fact, I still think the Super Bowl refs only missed one call last year and the World Series umpires only missed one as well.

But this series was just bad. Your defense of these very one-sided mistakes is simply either blind obedience or just stupid stubbornness. Refusal to recognize what were obviously bad calls doesn't help anyone.

I was unaware that getting punched in the neck was a foul (Nowitzki's "foul" on Wade in game 6). I guess the Marquis Daniels foul on Wade was in the section titled "Poor Defense" and the call for the foul he committed was "Getting No Where Near the Shooter" - Good God, he missed Wade by at least 2 feet. No one has mentioned the Mourning block of a Terry shot in the corner where he blocked it into Wade's hand (no Maverick was nearby) and it went out of bounds. Heat ball. Whatever.

I have no problem with the Stackhouse suspension, the backcourt non-violation (now that you explained it to me), nor the seeming non-foul with 1.5 seconds that normally wouldn't get called even if it WAS an actual foul.

BUT -

Surely, at minimum, you "experts" in the field can at least recognize that in this particular case, the inevitable mistakes did happen to go the Heat's way more than it's "fair share".
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
You know, being an official in other sports, I'm normally the last to jump on the referees at any level.
Boolsh!t!

You and Mark Cuban.....

You're just another Texas fanboy - Little Elm, to be exact- who doesn't know squat about basketball rules, mechanics or philosophies. For an "official in other sports", you're also showing a pretty nice lack of professionalism.

You're no different than roncabalo at all, Mike. You're just another whining fanboy that shows up here only when your team loses. Why don't you do what he is probably doing? Go look for a fanboy site that's infested with all your fellow whining Mavs fans. You'll be more comfortable there.

Lah me....
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Surely, at minimum, you "experts" in the field can at least recognize that in this particular case, the inevitable mistakes did happen to go the Heat's way more than it's "fair share".
All I can say is bull$hit. Is every little foul called in the NFL? No. What's a strike? Whatever the guy behind the plate on a particular night calls. The guy on the floor is the ultimate judge. I would have thought you would know that.

I can understand having to explain to a fanboy that a foul in basketball can be one of the subjective calls in sports. I wouldn't think I would have to explain it to another sports official. But since you've decided to become a fanboy, let me point out that you cam ehere because you didn't know the backcourt rule. Yet you're so basketball intelligent as to think that the officials gave calls to the Heat. And yeah, I know you didn't write those words but that's what you're finally statement is suggesting.

Do us a favor. Go away fanboy.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic Referee and BktBallRef,

I hope that the two of you don't call basketball games. You obviously have no concept of how to communication objectively with other people.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas

I hope that the two of you don't call basketball games. You obviously have no concept of how to communication objectively with other people.
Yup, we both officiate- football and basketball. Neither one of use has any use for whining fanboys either- whether they're in the stands or posting on this forum. Also obviously neither one of us has any use either for any so-called official that would back-stab, second-guess and generally dump on other officials while knowing absolutely nothing about the sport that those officials came from.

Iow, yup, I will certainly plead guilty to my poor attitude when it comes to fanboys and fanboy/officials that should know better, Tex. I'm on the record.

Btw, coming from someone who described himself as a "frustrated Mavs fan" in another post, I expected no less of you either, and it looks like I wasn't disappointed.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 04:22pm.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

LOL! That's the best you've got? That's the absolutely best post you can come up with?

Personally, I think it's damn funny that JR and myself were both posting at the smae time and posted almost the identical same thing.

Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Snakeyes, PM me. I got your IM on my cell phone and tried to text back to you but I got cutoff!

Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
LOL! That's the best you've got? That's the absolutely best post you can come up with?

Personally, I think it's damn funny that JR and myself were both posting at the smae time and posted almost the identical same thing.

It's not funny, it's a shame. This is a great forum. It is unfortunately poisoned by people who would rather curse, name call and toss insults.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize if my use of the word damn offends you. It's not uncommon on these boards and I don't believe directed it in a profane way towards anyone.

Insulting? Don;t believe my reply was anymore insulting than mcrowder's post. I'm sure he's a big boy and doesn't need you to up for him. But don't sit there and tell us that you didn't mean for your post to be insulting. I have a right to my opinion just as you have a right to yours. "Fanboy" is a term that we use for posters who come here and accuse officials of cheating. If that offends you or you consider it name calling, oh well.

Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 05:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's not funny, it's a shame. This is a great forum. It is unfortunately poisoned by people who would rather curse, name call and toss insults.
Well, my opinion is that forum is poisoned by fanboys who wander out of the woodwork every year and whine about how the mean ol' officials cost their team a game/championship. Sound familiar? I also think that this forum is poisoned by people who call themselves officials, but at the first chance they get, they will dump all over other officials if their team happens to be involved. Again, does that sound familiar? Doing that is just setting a terrible example to other, newer maybe-impressionable officials. Quite simply, it is unprofessional.

That is you, fanboy.

Let me tell you exactly what I think of fanboy/officials:
1) I don't think that a fanboy/official could ever be trusted to give both teams a fair shake. They're too used to picking sides.
2) Personally, I don't want to work with an official that I can't trust. Being afraid to turn your back on your partner isn't my idea of a fun time.

The Mavs lost 2 freaking days ago, Tex. It's done! It's over! No matter how hard or long you whine, that ain't gonna change. You gotta deal with it, fanboy. Let it go.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I apologize if my use of the word damn offends you. It's not uncommon on these boards and I don't believe directed it in a profane way towards anyone.

Insulting? Don;t believe my reply was anymore insulting than mcrowder's post. I'm sure he's a big boy and doesn't need you to up for him. But don't sit there and tell us that you didn't mean for your post to be insulting. I have a right to my opinion just as you have a right to yours. "Fanboy" is a term that we use for posters who come here and accuse officials of cheating. If that offends you or you consider it name calling, oh well.
Apology accepted, and my apologies to you, my post was insulting.

I don't think anyone was accusing the officials of cheating. We were simply pointing out some questionable calls. Believe it or not, all of us officials miss calls and sometimes it happens at the worst possible time. And I'll repeat what I said originally, and that is that I'm not blaming the officials for the Mavs loss.

And I am still "frustrated"...We were two minutes away from sweeping the series (I believe a game 3 win would have equated to a game 4 win).

Losing 4 in a row had little to do with the officiating. The officials were consistently not calling the off-ball contact against Nowitzki and were consistently calling the on-ball contact against Wade. My point is they were consistent. We just didn't like what they chose to call and what they didn't. Yet that is no excuse. You learn to play with-in the confines of how the game is called and play on. The Heat did, the Mavs didn't...now we wait till next year.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, my opinion is that forum is poisoned by fanboys who wander out of the woodwork every year and whine about how the mean ol' officials cost their team a game/championship. Sound familiar? I also think that this forum is poisoned by people who call themselves officials, but at the first chance they get, they will dump all over other officials if their team happens to be involved. Again, does that sound familiar? Doing that is just setting a terrible example to other, newer maybe-impressionable officials. Quite simply, it is unprofessional.

That is you, fanboy.

Let me tell you exactly what I think of fanboy/officials:
1) I don't think that a fanboy/official could ever be trusted to give both teams a fair shake. They're too used to picking sides.
2) Personally, I don't want to work with an official that I can't trust. Being afraid to turn your back on your partner isn't my idea of a fun time.

The Mavs lost 2 freaking days ago, Tex. It's done! It's over! No matter how hard or long you whine, that ain't gonna change. You gotta deal with it, fanboy. Let it go.
You should consider some counseling. Maybe an anger management class.

Last edited by Kajun Ref N Texas; Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 05:48pm.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You should consider some counseling. Maybe an anger management class.
You should consider leaving officiating, if you really are an official. Our avocation obviously wasn't meant for you.