The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:32am
In Memoriam

NBA Game 5- <i>Redux</i>

Just to have a little fun and see how many fanboys pop out of the woodwork, I'll post this interview with Mike Mathis, a retired NBA official who worked quite a few Finals. Enjoy.....

http://www.getsportsinfo.com/lance/mikemathis.mp3

Fanboys should love that one. According to Mathis, his fellow officials, old partners and used-to-be-friends(probably) royally screwed up both the timeout and Nowitzki's foul. He also notes that, generally, the officials now in the NBA are all terrible- except for him, of course.

Before all the Mav's fanboys get too indignant though, you should know that Mathis has got his own axe to grind with the NBA front office. He thought that they screwed him by not backing him up when he got convicted for income tax evasion. He served a year's suspension before being reinstated, then he had to retire a coupla years later under a "disability retirement", supposedly because of his knees. Personally, I think that you can just label him under "disgruntled ex-official" and forget about him.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...ef_mathis.html

Have at it, fanboys......

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 08:40am.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...iherald_sports
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

How lame that an official who made it all the way to the top now calls the NBA hiring practices "a good old boy network." It seems that every disgruntled official likes to pull out that tired excuse.

Z
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Good article, Dan. The sad part is that if Miami lose the next 2 games, and if the games are close, you'll be reading stories in the same paper about how the officials screwed the Heat. You can take that to the bank.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good article, Dan. The sad part is that if Miami lose the next 2 games, and if the games are close, you'll be reading stories in the same paper about how the officials screwed the Heat. You can take that to the bank.
To me the interesting thing is that every year the NBA officials become the center of all sorts of consiracy theories. The real consipracy is the NBA office encourages this publicity to keep the playoffs in the news. If they didn't want it it would stop.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I may be going out on a limb here, but I have a feeling there will be a small transfer of wealth between Mark Cuban and the NBA's offices for his comment to David Stern, "Your league is rigged!".

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

His son also works for the Mavericks

He was on the radio this morning in Dallas.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just to have a little fun and see how many fanboys pop out of the woodwork, I'll post this interview with Mike Mathis, a retired NBA official who worked quite a few Finals. Enjoy.....

http://www.getsportsinfo.com/lance/mikemathis.mp3

Fanboys should love that one. According to Mathis, his fellow officials, old partners and used-to-be-friends(probably) royally screwed up both the timeout and Nowitzki's foul. He also notes that, generally, the officials now in the NBA are all terrible- except for him, of course.

Before all the Mav's fanboys get too indignant though, you should know that Mathis has got his own axe to grind with the NBA front office. He thought that they screwed him by not backing him up when he got convicted for income tax evasion. He served a year's suspension before being reinstated, then he had to retire a coupla years later under a "disability retirement", supposedly because of his knees. Personally, I think that you can just label him under "disgruntled ex-official" and forget about him.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...ef_mathis.html
I did not listen to the entire interview, but I did find his comments about the time out interesting. I agreed with what he said. It would seem that when the 3 officials met that the time out would have been given following the second FT because the T would have said something along the lines of "they want the time out after the 2nd FT." However it really shouldn't have gotten that far.

It would have been better game management (I would have tried very hard) not to recognize the time out by JHoward because if I was DeRosa, and had all the experience that goes with it, I know that it is very likely that they want the TO after the 2nd FT. By the way, Howard was roughly 10 feet away, not looking at DeRosa, and the TO signal looked as if he was trying to confirm with Coach in the clips that I saw. Also, it would have been easy to just ask, "do you want it now, or after the FT?"
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Wow If I ever say that stuff publicly, you all have permission to hang me by my lanyard. No class at all. Unbelievable.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
By the way, Howard was roughly 10 feet away, not looking at DeRosa, and the TO signal looked as if he was trying to confirm with Coach in the clips that I saw. Also, it would have been easy to just ask, "do you want it now, or after the FT?"
To me it looks like Howard started heading towards the bench after signalling the 2nd time. I haven't heard or read any interviews from Josh Howard but the look on his face afterwards seemed to be of the "I f****d that up" variety.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
I did not listen to the entire interview, but I did find his comments about the time out interesting. I agreed with what he said.
You agree with what he said, even though neither of you has ever talked to the officials involved in the play about the play, and neither of you were privy to the conversations out on the floor either?

Hmmmmmmm.....interesting......

Two of a kind, I guess. Crucify the officials without hearing their side.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
To me it looks like Howard started heading towards the bench after signalling the 2nd time. I haven't heard or read any interviews from Josh Howard but the look on his face afterwards seemed to be of the "I f****d that up" variety.
EXACTLY! I've said this over and over again. You see Howard's head turn toward DeRosa, his hands come together in front of him and he starts to walk towards the Mavs bench. DeRosa then whistles the TO. Now why is he walking toward his bench away from the FT lane if he didn't request TO?

Then he did indeed have the stupid "I ****ed up look" on his face.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I may be going out on a limb here, but I have a feeling there will be a small transfer of wealth between Mark Cuban and the NBA's offices for his comment to David Stern, "Your league is rigged!".
$250K- just announced.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
$250K- just announced.
Doesn't that put him at almost $1.5 million in fines to the NBA?

Maybe the money doesn't mean as much to him, but even I would learn after the first coupla' hundred thou.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Doesn't that put him at almost $1.5 million in fines to the NBA?

Maybe the money doesn't mean as much to him, but even I would learn after the first coupla' hundred thou.
Just shy of $1.5 mil, I think. Season ain't over yet though....if they lose another close game, watch out again. He's creeping up on Charles Barkley, I think, for the record. Of course Charles was hit mainly for throwing people through bar windows and spitting on fans. I remember reading in one of Barkley's books once that he gave up caring about fines when he found out that they were tax deductible.

Cuban supposedly matches each fine he receives with a charitable donation also- so you're looking at 3 mil or so to date.