The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question: Player(team A)is in the backcourt sends a pass headed to the front court but is tipped by player(team B). Intended recipient of pass on (team A) has ball bounce off him as a result of the tipped pass and retreives the ball in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

no, there was no player control in the frontcourt. I am sure the others will enlighten you on the four requirements, as I don't have the energy.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is a backcourt violation, but there is not enough information to say. If the ball bounced off the recipient in FC, this would be a violation. Here are the four requirements for a BC violation. If any one is missing, there is no violation:

(1) Team A has control.
>>There is team control on the pass, team control for A does not end here because B did not gain control.<<

(2) Ball has frontcourt status.
>>I'm assuming from that the pass that was going into the frontcourt, it either touched the floor in the FC or a player in the FC.<<

(3) An A player must be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt.
>>It does not matter that it tipped off of B1 and then off of A2, it was still tipped back by A2.<<

(4) A player from A must be the first to touch the ball in the backcourt.
>>A2 apparently did this here.<<

From what I'm assuming, this is a BC. There is no need for player control in the frontcourt, just team control and ball frontcourt status. For example, A1 and A2 are standing in the backcourt near the dividing line. A1 bounce-passes to A2, and the ball bounces in the front-court and then to A2. Backcourt violation in this case.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:04pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Not a violation

There was no team control in the frontcourt, this is similar to when the ball is in the frontcourt and gets tipped into the backcourt by the defense.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:07pm
I drank what?

Not a violation

Just a reminder, three points of interest when checking frontcourt/backcourt.

1) Left Foot
2) Right Foot
3) Ball

All three must enter the frontcourt (regarding PLAYER control) before the ball can be established in the frontcourt.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not a violation

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl

1) Left Foot
2) Right Foot
3) Ball

All three must enter the frontcourt (regarding PLAYER control) before the ball can be established in the frontcourt.
This is only when dribbling from the BC to the FC.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not a violation

Quote:
There was no team control in the frontcourt, this is similar to when the ball is in the frontcourt and gets tipped into the backcourt by the defense.
First, there is no requirement for team control in the frontcourt. There simply needs to be team control and the ball must touch the frontcourt.

In your case, A does have team control in the frontcourt (team control does not end upon the other team touching the ball) - it is not a violation because offense was not the last to touch before it went backcourt.

Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Only during dribbling

Quote:

1) Left Foot
2) Right Foot
3) Ball

If A1 jumps from FC, catches the ball, and comes down with one foot FC, if the other foot or the ball touches BC, you have a violation.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by jroche
Question: Player(team A)is in the backcourt sends a pass headed to the front court but is tipped by player(team B). Intended recipient of pass on (team A) has ball bounce off him as a result of the tipped pass and retreives the ball in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Yes. This is a violation. Team A is in control. The tip by B1 does not cause a loss of team control by team A, regardless of where B1 was standing at the time of the tip. When A2 got hit by the ball in the frontcourt, the ball established frontcourt status. A2 was last to touch in the frontcourt, and first to touch after the ball was in the backcourt. There was team control. All 4 elements are satisfied. Violation.

Note: the rule is not "touch in the backcourt", but "touch after the ball has been in the backcourt". There's a subtle difference, but it is moot here. The difference would come into play if, for instance, the ball hits an official in the backcourt then bounces back into the frontcourt. There are a few more examples.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Dec 19th, 2001 at 06:31 PM]
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Let me restate your scenario. A1 throws pass to front court. B1, in front court, tips pass, tipped pass deflects off A2, in front court, toward backcourt, and then A2 (or any other A) retrieves in backcourt.

This is a violation.

1. A had team control
2. Ball had front court status
3. A was last to touch in front court
4. A was first to touch in back court

Remember, the tip by B does not change the fact that A has team control. B must have player control to achieve team control. A has team control up until a dead ball or until B gets team control. So even though A does not have player control, A has not lost team control.

Variations on a theme
If A2 is backcourt when the tipped ball deflects, no violation - A2 was not last to touch in front court, B was, condition 4 not met.

If neither A nor B are front court, no violation because ball never had front court status, condition 2 not met.

If B ever touches ball after A2 deflects and before A retrieves in backcourt, no violation, because either condition 3 or condition 4 were not met (depending on position of B at time of touch.

However, if A1 passes in backcourt (can even be toward A3 also backcourt), B is in backcourt and tips A1's pass into A2 in front court, then A2 steps backcourt to retrieve, you amazngly still have a bizarre backcourt violation because all four conditions above were met! Just one last fun variation
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I erroneously generalized about ball in backcourt. Mark P's revised post has it right. A must be first to touch afer ball has been in backcourt. Another example is a spinning ball that goes backcourt then returns front court - still a violation if A is last to touch before and first to touch after.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
You guys are in sooooooooooooo much trouble when TH gets home!!!

chuck

Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 09:12pm
I drank what?

I stand corrected...

After further reading the explinations I must agree that this is a BC violation. In lamens terms:

A player from the team in control must NOT be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and then the FIRST to touch the ball in the backcourt or you will have a backcourt violation.

Thank you all for this explination as now I will make the correct call should this ever happen to me.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I stand corrected...

Quote:
After further reading the explinations I must agree that this is a BC violation. In lamens terms:

A player from the team in control must NOT be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and then the FIRST to touch the ball in the backcourt or you will have a backcourt violation.

Thank you all for this explination as now I will make the correct call should this ever happen to me.
Not quite.

The team in control does not have to actually touch the ball in the frontcourt. They simply have to be the first to touch it after it was in the frontcourt.

Similarly, they do not have to touch the ball, they only need to be the first to touch after it has been in the backcourt.

Funky example:
You're playing on a cruise ship which crosses the international date line . . . (oops, wrong example!)

This would probably never happen according to the laws of physics, but let's assume it did. B2 just scored, and A1 inbounds to A2 (from OOB!!!!!!). A2 dribbles upcourt and, while in the backcourt, throws a bounce pass to A3 who is in the frontcourt.

The ball hits the floor in the FC, then bounces into the BC, and finally bounces into the FC where A3 eventually picks up the ball - Backcourt Violation.

Separating the two, let's take the touching the FC. A1 and A2 are standing in the backcourt near the dividing line. A1 bounce-passes to A2, and the ball bounces in the front-court and then to A2. Backcourt violation in this case.

For touching the BC, A3 is dribbling in the FC. The ball gets away from him, touches the halfcourt line (which is, remember, in the backcourt), and then bounces back into the frontcourt where A3 picks the ball up - once again, a backcourt violation has occured.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

This is not a violation in FIBA here is the actual rule:

40.1.2 The ball is considered to have returned to his backcourt when a player of the team in control of the ball is:
• The last to touch the ball in his front court, and then a player of that same team is the first to touch the ball,
− After it has touched the backcourt, or
− If this player is in contact with the backcourt.
• The last to touch the ball in his backcourt, following which the ball touches the front court, and then a player of that same team, who is in contact with the backcourt, is the first to touch the ball.
This restriction applies to all situations in a team's front court, including throw-ins.

Art. 23 Control of the ball
23.1 A player is in control of the ball when he is holding or dribbling or
has a live ball at his disposal.
23.2 A team is in control of the ball when a player of that team is in
control of a live ball or the ball is being passed between team-mates.

Yet again a difference between NFHS and FIBA

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee