View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

You know, being an official in other sports, I'm normally the last to jump on the referees at any level. I am aware that it's a difficult job, and I'm aware that calls get missed and usually balance out over the course of time. In fact, I still think the Super Bowl refs only missed one call last year and the World Series umpires only missed one as well.

But this series was just bad. Your defense of these very one-sided mistakes is simply either blind obedience or just stupid stubbornness. Refusal to recognize what were obviously bad calls doesn't help anyone.

I was unaware that getting punched in the neck was a foul (Nowitzki's "foul" on Wade in game 6). I guess the Marquis Daniels foul on Wade was in the section titled "Poor Defense" and the call for the foul he committed was "Getting No Where Near the Shooter" - Good God, he missed Wade by at least 2 feet. No one has mentioned the Mourning block of a Terry shot in the corner where he blocked it into Wade's hand (no Maverick was nearby) and it went out of bounds. Heat ball. Whatever.

I have no problem with the Stackhouse suspension, the backcourt non-violation (now that you explained it to me), nor the seeming non-foul with 1.5 seconds that normally wouldn't get called even if it WAS an actual foul.

BUT -

Surely, at minimum, you "experts" in the field can at least recognize that in this particular case, the inevitable mistakes did happen to go the Heat's way more than it's "fair share".