The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Ok, so the batter receives Ball Four, and the pitch gets away from the catcher. The BR rounds first on her way to second base and makes it safely. The defensive coach instructs his team to do a Live Ball appeal at first because the BR missed first base (which she did). F2 throws the ball to first base and it gets away from F3 and goes down the right field line.

Is the BR allowed to go back and touch first? Or is she no longer able to because she advanced and touched second?
Second is not an awarded base in this case.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
That would be because this is the only instance where a base award happens during a live ball.
This is not correct. Albeit, I've never seen the other case.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
This is not correct. Albeit, I've never seen the other case.
Can you name another instance? I believe tom is correct.

But let me suggest this

Is not a baserunner permitted to set their own basepath?

What if you have the runner taking a couple steps past home to pick up a discarded bat and then turn to touch the plate?

Not saying it is the smartest move in the world, but there certainly isn't anything wrong with it, either. Point is, where are you drawing the line?
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

But let me suggest this

What if you have the runner taking a couple steps past home to pick up a discarded bat and then turn to touch the plate?

Not saying it is the smartest move in the world, but there certainly isn't anything wrong with it, either. Point is, where are you drawing the line?
Yes I can, but I didn't in the first post to give everbody time to think. Handling the ball with detached equipment is a live ball award.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But let me suggest this

Key word in your post. PASSED. Under Fed rules when she has PASSED a base she is said to have touched the base. For a runner coming from 3b home, there is a very clear line as to what past the base is. It is the first base line, which is nicely drawn on the field of play for everyone to see.

If the runner stays over toward the 3b dug out to pick up a bat then touches home we have a different situation because she has not passed home plate yet and at this point she is still allowed to set her own base path as no play can legally be made on her since she is getting an awarded base.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 01:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Second is not an awarded base in this case.
No, but first base was. And I was trying to counter Mike's point that there is nothing written that treats the case of a live ball base award any differently than a dead ball base award.

He said that since there is no difference between the two, then you could argue that the BR who advances to second on a walk/wild pitch while not touching first base would not be able to return to first to correct her mistake while the ball remains live. After all, she wouldn't be able to do that on a dead ball award. But I think we all would agree that the BR could return during live ball play.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Key word in your post. PASSED. Under Fed rules when she has PASSED a base she is said to have touched the base. For a runner coming from 3b home, there is a very clear line as to what past the base is. It is the first base line, which is nicely drawn on the field of play for everyone to see.

If the runner stays over toward the 3b dug out to pick up a bat then touches home we have a different situation because she has not passed home plate yet and at this point she is still allowed to set her own base path as no play can legally be made on her since she is getting an awarded base.
So, your position is you would rule differently based on which dugout her team may be in when she hasn't touched home nor entered dead ball territory? After all, if her team is in the third base dugout, she might never have "passed" the base, while missing it by even MORE than the OP.

Do you not see how that distinction would treat the teams on the field differently for doing the exact same thing? Do you think that would be the intent of any rule or approved ruling?
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Using this logic, a runner who shortcuts the base cannot be considered as having touched is because they never passed it.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes I can, but I didn't in the first post to give everbody time to think. Handling the ball with detached equipment is a live ball award.
I disagree. That is an exemption from liability to be put out, not an award.

And making it an award would preclude the runner from returning to touch a missed base or base left too soon
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree. That is an exemption from liability to be put out, not an award.
Since award isn't defined by rule I guess you you could make that claim but I'm not sure what the difference would be. The rule for a dropped third strike that is fielded with detached equipment specifically refers to to an award of first base.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Using this logic, a runner who shortcuts the base cannot be considered as having touched is because they never passed it.
When do you consider a runner to have passed the base? You need to be able to answer that question to be able to rule on appeals for a missed base.

There is no difference between a runner who misses a base by stepping with one foot on either side of the base, and running 10 feet inside of the base, short cutting the infield. As soon as they pass the base, they are subject to appeal for missing the base. Home plate is no different. As soon as they pass home plate they are subject to appeal for missing the plate.

The way the rules are written, yes the umpire needs to rule on the team on the third base side different from the first base side. Given the way the rules regarding running awarded bases, making plays on an runner awarded a base, and appeals are written, the runner for a team in the third base dug out would need to do something else to be ruled out on appeal, such as enter dead ball territory, or not have touched the base before the next pitch.

One other thing to consider, the umpire can rule the play dead under casebook play 8-3-11 situation c, when the runner acts in a manner not consistent with fair play. If the runner is intentionally not touching home plate, the umpire can declare the ball dead, require the runner to touch home plate, and issue a warning for unsportsmanlike behavior.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
One other thing to consider, the umpire can rule the play dead under casebook play 8-3-11 situation c, when the runner acts in a manner not consistent with fair play. If the runner is intentionally not touching home plate, the umpire can declare the ball dead, require the runner to touch home plate, and issue a warning for unsportsmanlike behavior.
Oh, come on. Back to earth, please.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Oh, come on. Back to earth, please.
There is a reason the casebook play is in the casebook. Somewhere a team tried gaining an advantage by having a player do what is in the casebook play.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a reason the casebook play is in the casebook. Somewhere a team tried gaining an advantage by having a player do what is in the casebook play.

And where in any of the original play do you ascertain the runner is intentionally not touching the plate?
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since award isn't defined by rule I guess you you could make that claim but I'm not sure what the difference would be. The rule for a dropped third strike that is fielded with detached equipment specifically refers to to an award of first base.
Okay, if you insist, but how can you make an award if the BR is permitted to continue beyond that base? Awards are applied at the end of a play, not during. When there is a fielder who uses detached equipment, do you make a DDB signal and announce the base to which the runner/BR is "awarded" or do you let the play finish and then ensure the runners achieve or are awarded the appropriate number of bases.