View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:35am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
It wasn't properly appealed, because on that awarded base, runners must be given an opportunity to complete their running obligations, and that opportunity does not end until either a) the runner stops on a different base (inapplicable here) or b) enters dead ball territory (didn't happen, according to the OP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Not the same. Runners are not liable to be put out after scoring. A live ball appeal at home should not have been allowed in this situation.
Really?? That's news to me. I don't recall seeing anything that says a runner's obligation at home is different, and that she isn't subject to an appeal at home until she enters the dugout.

From the NFHS Case Book:

2.1 SITUATION: With R1 on third and one out, B3 hits safely. R1, while watching the ball, misses home plate. F2 calls for the ball, steps on home for the appeal to retire R1 and throws to third to get B3 sliding. RULING: Legal. A runner may be put out by the defense for missing a base during a live-ball appeal.

No reference there that an appeal of R1 cannot be recognized until R1 enters DBT. So what am I missing?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker