The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

The heat is on

Spent about 10.5 hours on the field between today and yesterday in the soup Mother Nature gave us for an atmosphere this w/e in Virginia. I've done 2-3 day tournaments before and this is the first time I've ever had cramping. Not bad enough to have to come off the field, but enough to make me wonder about how to deal with a possible week of like conditions in Cary NC in July for PONY.

I'm 59 y/o so maybe its just age catching up to me. The other possibility is that I've been on Weight Watcher's for about a month and lost 17 pounds, so maybe my body's water balance has been messed up.

I'm open to any suggestions about how to manage the possible heat in NC next month. Mineral pills, bananas, gatoraid, etc.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 12:27am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
Spent about 10.5 hours on the field between today and yesterday in the soup Mother Nature gave us for an atmosphere this w/e in Virginia. I've done 2-3 day tournaments before and this is the first time I've ever had cramping. Not bad enough to have to come off the field, but enough to make me wonder about how to deal with a possible week of like conditions in Cary NC in July for PONY.

I'm 59 y/o so maybe its just age catching up to me. The other possibility is that I've been on Weight Watcher's for about a month and lost 17 pounds, so maybe my body's water balance has been messed up.

I'm open to any suggestions about how to manage the possible heat in NC next month. Mineral pills, bananas, gatoraid, etc.

DTQ;

I am 58, and my solution is my 20 year old son, Mark, Jr., , and he loves to work the plate.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pickle juice

I haven't (yet) experienced cramping on the field, but I used to wake up with horrible leg cramps after a long day in the heat and humidity (FL).

Someone once suggested pickle juice to me. I haven't done a scientific comparison, but it seems to work.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

My solution is to hoist some beers with me and the other blues after the games.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Water, water and when you are done with that, water. Start at least 2 days out and don't stop
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I've umpired the PONY Nationals for the past 7 years, and at 59, you should be one of younger umpires. We usually work no more than 4 games per day.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Water, water and when you are done with that, water. Start at least 2 days out and don't stop
Agree, and for years that was enough. Now I have added a sports/electrolyte drink alternated with water depending on how much sweat.
Also, the bananas, etc, do help.

Water externally, like soaking my head & shirt help keep body temp down.

Lastly, I don't hang out with Dave, even the days before.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Agree, and for years that was enough. Now I have added a sports/electrolyte drink alternated with water depending on how much sweat.
Also, the bananas, etc, do help.

Water externally, like soaking my head & shirt help keep body temp down.

Lastly, I don't hang out with Dave, even the days before.
Hey! C'mon, I'm a fun guy.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Mike is right. Water, water, water. IMO, all day every day. Plus G2 (the small ones), bananas and ENSURE or BOOST in-between games. I worked 12 games in two days in 85-90 degree heat. I'm in Socal so the humidity wasn't bad, but the heat was.

Also, Saturday I worked on a full Artificial field (running lanes included, got many outs early in the day because the girls came up short lol). This field was surrounded by buildings and walls on all sides. It was a HEAT SINK. Good thing I have multiple pairs of shoes, because the heat came right up through the soles. In the future I will never accept a full day (6 games) on this field.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with many of the above... Start with at least 8 12-oz glasses of water each day starting 2 days before the event... then alternate water/gatorade at least 12 ounces per game - if possible at least an ounce or so every half inning. Pickles and/or pickle juice as well. Watermelon works too.

Living in Texas, I can tell you that JUST water will keep the cramps away, but is not good enough when worried about dehydration. You lose potassium and salt when you sweat... and you stop sweating when you're not getting enough salt. It doesn't take a lot, but either alternating water and gatorade or throwing in 10 potato chips or tortilla chips every couple hours is plenty of sodium to keep you going.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I too live in Texas and had to laugh at the the thought of 85-90 degrees as heat. Worked 8 games Saturday and Sunday in 100 degrees and the humidity was much worse Sunday. I really don't like it but it's what we have to work in this time of year.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Also, Saturday I worked on a full Artificial field (running lanes included, got many outs early in the day because the girls came up short lol). This field was surrounded by buildings and walls on all sides. It was a HEAT SINK. Good thing I have multiple pairs of shoes, because the heat came right up through the soles. In the future I will never accept a full day (6 games) on this field.
I had about 5 HS games on artificial fields this season (these fields really saved us come playoff time when it was raining and the schools had to get their games in somewhere). I was thinking these were convenient now but would get hot in the summer. Turf gets your shoes clean, though.

To the OP: water, lots of water.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Getting to be that time to start hydrating.

Let me know if you're up for a brew, too. You'll be in my neck of the woods.

Old Fri Jul 09, 2010, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

2 days out is not enough. Begin a week out. Start with more water than you normally drink. Add in a Propel or Gatorade. Increase quantity until the day before you're up to 9 or 10 cups of water and 2 to 3 bottles of gatorade. You're gonna float.... and you're gonna pee every 20 minutes. That's a good thing.

This regime allowed me to survive Las Vegas at the USA/ASA 18-A last year in an AVERAGE of 113 F heat. Our hottest day was 118 F, and I had 4 games. It was hell, but I couldn't have done it unless I was hydrated waaay ahead of time.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2010, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
2 days out is not enough. Begin a week out. Start with more water than you normally drink. Add in a Propel or Gatorade. Increase quantity until the day before you're up to 9 or 10 cups of water and 2 to 3 bottles of gatorade. You're gonna float.... and you're gonna pee every 20 minutes. That's a good thing.
Agree with the water. Some will tell you that it isn't necessary, two days is about all the body can really hold, but that isn't the point. The idea of starting that early is so the body can acclimate to the increased fluid level and adjust its consumption time table.

No doctor, just seems how it works for me. Otherwise, especially for us old folks, the body will start getting rid of the fluids almost as quick as you can put them in your body.