The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Heat !!

HS footbal practices began here today. Many NCAA programs
as well as NFL camps are in session-- and it is hot !!
As officials, the FHSAA requires that we take a water break
time out near the mid-point of every quarter. This rule begins
with May springs games and scrimmages and continues and includes the 2nd Saturday in October. I think this a great rule.
Back in CNY, our crew would take liberal water breaks when the
temperatures got into the high 80's.
I was wondering if any other states are doing this ??
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

If you want heat, come to Texas and work scrimmages and early season games in August and early September. I had a game in the middle of September last year where we were easily 110F on the field at the start and it didn't get much cooler. NO WIND or even a breeze. It was miserable. The key is to not stop drinking water.

I think I'll take the suggestion of an official's timeout in the middle of each quarter at my early season games this year. I highly doubt anyone will complain.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:24am
Broadcaster

It used to be mandatory in Alabama during the first three weeks of the season and strongly encouraged any other time but still left to the referee's discretion. Now it is solely up to the referee but still encouraged. It hasn't been mandatory in Georgia since I've been here (2003). I've been at one game since where heat breaks were taken. But most players don't play both ways and the coaches and trainers do a good job keeping fluids in the kids.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

In Kansas we don't do manditory breaks but if you know what's good for you you will take them. It has been up to 112 this year and today is supposed to be the last day for a while over 100. Only lower 90s for the next few days then back into the upper 90s. One thing we do have is wind. 15 to 20 mph is normal and gusts to 35 or 40 are common.

We try to take the breaks whenever the conditions are bad, there hasn't been any chance for either team to get water for a while and there has just been a change of possession. So remember to watch and listen to the players. Some of them might just be out of shape but some of them might be getting into trouble.

And don't forget yourselves. A few years back my wing was saying that it was about time for a water break during the game. I told him that we had just had one a few minutes earlier, you know, basically "shut up and get back to work." Well it was he who needed the water as he hadn't gotten any when we were letting the players get some. He was getting light headed and starting to get in trouble. The problem was that he wouldn't say it was his problem while I thought he wanted water for the players. The bottom line is if someone needs water then get them water. This is only a game and it's not worth damaging someone's health over something so insignificant.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

And don't forget yourselves.

Rack that !!! We have to "go both ways" !
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

It is easy to take breaks often enough on a COP. Make sure to not kill momentum, but you also don't want to kill any players. Error on the side of safety.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

In Wisconsin, it is both allowed an encouraged to take extra breaks. I aim for the middle of the quarter, but only after a change of possession so as to not break momentum of the game.

One high school player has already died this year during practice in the heat (it happened on 7/31 or 8/1 down south).

And for those who are snickering - it does get hot in Wisconsin!!!! Today, upper 90s with high humidity - and that's along Lake Michigan. And no, we don't take extra breaks to warm up late in the season!
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
And don't forget yourselves.

Rack that !!! We have to "go both ways" !
This is so true. There is an article on my website about dehydration and its effects on officials. We have to make sure we are staying hydrated too because lose of liquids impacts our decision making.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:47am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
One high school player has already died this year during practice in the heat (it happened on 7/31 or 8/1 down south).
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/spo...2rockdale.html

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/02/06

There was supposed to be one last voluntary workout for the Rockdale County High School football team. Wind sprints, maybe some pass patterns — a bit of final conditioning before football practices started for real Wednesday.

But Robert J. Reid Memorial Stadium was empty Tuesday afternoon. Practice was canceled, and there was no word on when it would start again.

Tyler Davis, a 15-year-old Rockdale County football player, collapsed between 5 and 6 p.m. on his way to the locker room after practicing Monday.

He died early Tuesday at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston. The cause of death was heat stroke, according to Dr. Stephen Boyle, the Rockdale County coroner.

Shawn Loughry, a sophomore at the school, was sitting in economics class when he heard the first-period announcement asking for a moment of silence. He immediately thought of Tyler's family.

Senior Jarod Berry said his Spanish teacher told the class after the announcement that Tyler was the best student she had.

"A majority of the football players were in shock," Berry said. "It's a big loss for the team."

Tyler's family declined to comment, said James Ginn, a spokesman for Rockdale County Schools. Ginn gave details of Tyler's Monday collapse as relayed through the football coaches.

"He walked off the field on his own power, then collapsed on his way to the locker room," Ginn said. "That's when they called 911."

According to Georgia High School Association rules, teams can start mandatory football practices in shorts today, nearly two weeks later than when practices started last year. The GHSA moved back the start of the season, and the opening of fall practices, because of heat concerns, said GHSA assistant executive director Gary Phillips.

Phillips said he planned to speak with Ralph Swearngin, the GHSA executive director, about the possibility of the association regulating practices in high temperatures.

Ginn said Rockdale's practice Monday consisted of passing drills, and the players weren't wearing football pads. He said the county will investigate the death and the school's policies of practicing in heat. Highs Monday were in the mid-90s.

Head coach Lee Carter was distraught and said he wasn't doing well when reached on his cellphone on Tuesday. Carter declined to comment on Tyler's death, referring all inquiries to Ginn, who spoke on behalf of the school and family.

At the request of Tyler's parents, the school, coaches and players declined to comment.

Carter reached out to friends for support, such as Southwest DeKalb coach Buck Godfrey. Carter was an assistant on Godfrey's state champion team in 1995.

"All I told him is that I'm his friend, and if he needs to go for a long ride in the country, I'm available. I'm there for him," Godfrey said. "I think [Carter] is going to need some time alone to think things out.

"This isn't something you can just shrug your shoulders at. This is something that you work out yourself between you and God."

Tracy Faulkner, whose son Chris Smith is a freshman on the Rockdale County football team, heard from her husband about Tyler's death. She immediately wanted more details on the conditions of the practice and hopes there will be a meeting to discuss what happened.

"Were they training? Was it too hot outside? Were they practicing too long?' That's what was going through my head," Faulkner said.

She said her son is an experienced football player, and she constantly reminds him to drink water, but Boyle, the coroner, warned that heatstroke is something parents and coaches rarely see coming.

Boyle estimated that Tyler was over 6 feet tall and nearly 300 pounds.

"It really just is a bad accident. It's not common, but it sort of happens out of the blue," Boyle said. "It can happen to little skinny kids as well as big guys."

Tyler is the second football player to die while playing for Carter. In 1997 while Carter was the head coach at Towers High in DeKalb County, Vinson Freeman Jr., a sophomore, had a violent seizure and collapsed on the field while running wind sprints during practice. A nurse performed CPR. Temperatures were in the low 70s, and heat was not believed to be a factor.

"It's a helluva responsibility being a football coach," said Godfrey. "The parents put their trust in you with their kids. ... You become their parents during that time. And when you lose one, it's just awful."