The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The heat is on (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58321-heat.html)

DTQ_Blue Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:23pm

The heat is on

Spent about 10.5 hours on the field between today and yesterday in the soup Mother Nature gave us for an atmosphere this w/e in Virginia. I've done 2-3 day tournaments before and this is the first time I've ever had cramping. Not bad enough to have to come off the field, but enough to make me wonder about how to deal with a possible week of like conditions in Cary NC in July for PONY.

I'm 59 y/o so maybe its just age catching up to me. The other possibility is that I've been on Weight Watcher's for about a month and lost 17 pounds, so maybe my body's water balance has been messed up.

I'm open to any suggestions about how to manage the possible heat in NC next month. Mineral pills, bananas, gatoraid, etc.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue (Post 680505)
Spent about 10.5 hours on the field between today and yesterday in the soup Mother Nature gave us for an atmosphere this w/e in Virginia. I've done 2-3 day tournaments before and this is the first time I've ever had cramping. Not bad enough to have to come off the field, but enough to make me wonder about how to deal with a possible week of like conditions in Cary NC in July for PONY.

I'm 59 y/o so maybe its just age catching up to me. The other possibility is that I've been on Weight Watcher's for about a month and lost 17 pounds, so maybe my body's water balance has been messed up.

I'm open to any suggestions about how to manage the possible heat in NC next month. Mineral pills, bananas, gatoraid, etc.

DTQ;

I am 58, and my solution is my 20 year old son, Mark, Jr., :D, and he loves to work the plate.

MTD, Sr.

HugoTafurst Mon Jun 07, 2010 06:01am

Quote:

Pickle juice

I haven't (yet) experienced cramping on the field, but I used to wake up with horrible leg cramps after a long day in the heat and humidity (FL).

Someone once suggested pickle juice to me. I haven't done a scientific comparison, but it seems to work.

NCASAUmp Mon Jun 07, 2010 06:08am

My solution is to hoist some beers with me and the other blues after the games. :D

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 07, 2010 06:53am

Quote:

Water, water and when you are done with that, water. Start at least 2 days out and don't stop

jodibuck Mon Jun 07, 2010 09:23am

I've umpired the PONY Nationals for the past 7 years, and at 59, you should be one of younger umpires. We usually work no more than 4 games per day.

CecilOne Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 680524)
Water, water and when you are done with that, water. Start at least 2 days out and don't stop

Agree, and for years that was enough. Now I have added a sports/electrolyte drink alternated with water depending on how much sweat.
Also, the bananas, etc, do help.

Water externally, like soaking my head & shirt help keep body temp down.

Lastly, I don't hang out with Dave, even the days before. :rolleyes:

NCASAUmp Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 680565)
Agree, and for years that was enough. Now I have added a sports/electrolyte drink alternated with water depending on how much sweat.
Also, the bananas, etc, do help.

Water externally, like soaking my head & shirt help keep body temp down.

Lastly, I don't hang out with Dave, even the days before. :rolleyes:

Hey! C'mon, I'm a fun guy. :)

vcblue Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:59pm

Mike is right. Water, water, water. IMO, all day every day. Plus G2 (the small ones), bananas and ENSURE or BOOST in-between games. I worked 12 games in two days in 85-90 degree heat. I'm in Socal so the humidity wasn't bad, but the heat was.

Also, Saturday I worked on a full Artificial field (running lanes included, got many outs early in the day because the girls came up short lol). This field was surrounded by buildings and walls on all sides. It was a HEAT SINK. Good thing I have multiple pairs of shoes, because the heat came right up through the soles. In the future I will never accept a full day (6 games) on this field.

MD Longhorn Mon Jun 07, 2010 01:21pm

I agree with many of the above... Start with at least 8 12-oz glasses of water each day starting 2 days before the event... then alternate water/gatorade at least 12 ounces per game - if possible at least an ounce or so every half inning. Pickles and/or pickle juice as well. Watermelon works too.

Living in Texas, I can tell you that JUST water will keep the cramps away, but is not good enough when worried about dehydration. You lose potassium and salt when you sweat... and you stop sweating when you're not getting enough salt. It doesn't take a lot, but either alternating water and gatorade or throwing in 10 potato chips or tortilla chips every couple hours is plenty of sodium to keep you going.

FullCount Mon Jun 07, 2010 02:35pm

I too live in Texas and had to laugh at the the thought of 85-90 degrees as heat. Worked 8 games Saturday and Sunday in 100 degrees and the humidity was much worse Sunday. I really don't like it but it's what we have to work in this time of year.

SethPDX Tue Jun 08, 2010 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcblue (Post 680589)
Also, Saturday I worked on a full Artificial field (running lanes included, got many outs early in the day because the girls came up short lol). This field was surrounded by buildings and walls on all sides. It was a HEAT SINK. Good thing I have multiple pairs of shoes, because the heat came right up through the soles. In the future I will never accept a full day (6 games) on this field.

I had about 5 HS games on artificial fields this season (these fields really saved us come playoff time when it was raining and the schools had to get their games in somewhere). I was thinking these were convenient now but would get hot in the summer. Turf gets your shoes clean, though.

To the OP: water, lots of water.

NCASAUmp Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44pm

Getting to be that time to start hydrating.

Let me know if you're up for a brew, too. You'll be in my neck of the woods.

SRW Fri Jul 09, 2010 01:01am

2 days out is not enough. Begin a week out. Start with more water than you normally drink. Add in a Propel or Gatorade. Increase quantity until the day before you're up to 9 or 10 cups of water and 2 to 3 bottles of gatorade. You're gonna float.... and you're gonna pee every 20 minutes. That's a good thing.

This regime allowed me to survive Las Vegas at the USA/ASA 18-A last year in an AVERAGE of 113 F heat. Our hottest day was 118 F, and I had 4 games. It was hell, but I couldn't have done it unless I was hydrated waaay ahead of time.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 09, 2010 06:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 684927)
2 days out is not enough. Begin a week out. Start with more water than you normally drink. Add in a Propel or Gatorade. Increase quantity until the day before you're up to 9 or 10 cups of water and 2 to 3 bottles of gatorade. You're gonna float.... and you're gonna pee every 20 minutes. That's a good thing.

Agree with the water. Some will tell you that it isn't necessary, two days is about all the body can really hold, but that isn't the point. The idea of starting that early is so the body can acclimate to the increased fluid level and adjust its consumption time table.

No doctor, just seems how it works for me. Otherwise, especially for us old folks, the body will start getting rid of the fluids almost as quick as you can put them in your body.