The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

On the pay issue:
It has been our M.O. the past few years to NOT make them pay for the training per se. However, they do not receive a new rule book nor set foot on the field for observation until they sign a contract and pay their $60 association registration fee. The fee includes their association dues and ASA dues. This act also covers them under our L&I rules in WA state should they be injured on the field.

So...they don't pay for the training, but they can't complete ALL the training until they pay their association dues.

Do we have some who show for the classroom and never appear for on the field? Yep. Do some of them take what they've learned and use it somewhere else? Yep. Do some of them just find out they don't like it and just don't come back? Yep. Do I know how many? Nope...but I know it happens.
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

I guess it's time for me to come clean. I joined NSA this year. The reason for doing that is pretty simple. I wanted to work more games, especially since my DD was not playing summer ball this year. In this area, ASA just does not have many tournaments, and by that I mean there might be one in my district each year. I have done every thing but get down on my knees and begged for the chance to work tournaments, but never get a response. Every year I see my district UIC at all the ASA clinics and schools, and I usually work at least one volleyball match with him, and I always mention to him that I really want to work, and nothing happens. If I lived in Terre Haute or Indianapolis, or maybe Merrillville I suppose I might get a chance to work some games, but in this area ASA is only active in slow pitch, and I don't get asked to do many of those games either. I've pretty much determined that my UIC doesn't like me, for whatever reason. I know I'm not an easy person to like...I'm a very quiet person who keeps to myself and wants to get home to my family when I'm done instead of meeting for adult beverages...but I really don't know what I might have done to fall in disfavor with him.

So I decided to join NSA. I submitted my registration on a Tuesday and that same weekend I was working a tournament. I was asked to show up on Friday at 4:00, and since I wanted to watch a game to see the umpires work I showed up at 3:00 and found the UIC. She asked me to get dressed and go work the bases on a game that was starting in 5 minutes. I worked four games that night, and nine the next day. She wanted me to work on Sunday also, but I could barely move after all those games. Heck, I hadn't worked 13 ASA fast pitch games in the six years I've been a part of ASA. I've worked a couple of other NSA tournaments since then, and I could not be happier about the fact that I have had some excellent partners, and that they are just as pleased to work with me as I am to work with them. My partners have always complimented my rules knowledge, my mechanics and my hustle, and my UIC has had nothing but good things to say about my umpiring. That has relieved my insecurity that perhaps my ASA UIC didn't like me because I sucked as an umpire. Yes, I always give credit to my ASA training whenever I am complimented.

Yes, I have taken my (paid) ASA training to work NSA games. I also took that (paid) ASA training to work NFHS games in previous years. It wasn't an easy decision for me to start working NSA. For three years, I was being recruited by an NSA guy to go work for them. I resisted because I do love ASA, and I am a loyal person. I bought in to that perception that NSA umpires sucked. My experience is that they are very good umpires, and nice people as well. I'm 100% sure that I will work NSA again, and I'm 100% sure that I will continue to join ASA just so I can have that card in my wallet, even though I know I won't get any games from them. I'm not asking for forgiveness, just sharing my personal experiences as someone who has taken that excellent ASA training that is second to none and applied it to a different organization.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Not sure a particular affiliation can stake propriatory claim (no matter how much they wish they could) on a particular set of rules or mechanics.
Whether it is MLB, NFL, NBA or some of our amateur national governing body (ie..ASA, NCAA) softball groups. Now.. they could make us employees and have us sign a non-disclosure contract!!
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

IMO, you give priority to your org. Thats loyalty and fluffy stuff.

Working buys a grocery. That about as real as your ***.

If no ASA work is there, work for whoever.

I have a similar situation blitzkrieg, men's ball went NAFA a few yeas back. If I want to work men's ball (which I need to because I would like to work my way up to the major mens (including ASA) nats or ISC world's) then NAFA is my only option to work in terms of league tourney play and to become known in that "realm".
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post
Not sure a particular affiliation can stake propriatory claim (no matter how much they wish they could) on a particular set of rules or mechanics.
Whether it is MLB, NFL, NBA or some of our amateur national governing body (ie..ASA, NCAA) softball groups. Now.. they could make us employees and have us sign a non-disclosure contract!!
Don't believe that is the issue. Not so much of what it is, but how and why it is used.