View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
.....well, I'm sure they are cold when he starts typing

My view:

I don't have a problem with an ASA umpire working NCAA or NFHS. I do have a problem with an ASA umpire working the other alphabets while NOT supporting ASA.

I have seen umpires suck up the umpire training and development from ASA and completely dismiss working any ASA games. IMO, if you want to work AFA, NSA, SNA, ISC, USFA, PONY, USSSA and not ASA, you should go to them for training. I'm sure it sounds ridiculous to some of you, but some of these organizations have hijacked ASA's training and used it as their own. This is the reason commissioners are to sign off on applications to the Biennial National UIC Clinic.

I am disappointed that when NCAA initiated a softball umpiring program, ASA was summarily dismissed. As related to me at the first satellite clinic, the NCAA didn't want to be perceived as using umpires "that worked little girl's games". Just where do they think THEIR players and THEIR umpires started? Shame on both ASA and the NCAA for not getting together and working out a partnership here. However, with the arrogance often shown at the NCAA level of operations, that probably would never happen.

I don't get umpires, and there are a few even in my small little area, who reach NCAA ball and all of a sudden, they are too good or elevated to be involved as something so menial as ASA ball.

It amazes me how some umpires can adjust work and social schedules, spend a fair amount of money to make that much more working games miles and hours away, but cannot set aside a few hours a year to attend a clinic or two which is being held for one reason only and that is to help umpires keep sharp and up to date. And before someone says it, simply working games does not keep an umpire sharp. If anything, that is where the umpire tends to become lazy especially toward the end of a long season. All of a sudden they are working a playoff game and someone points out a few flaws of which the umpire wasn't aware.

I believe that would depend on the circumstances and any issues in their local association (state/metro). Selections, and the processed utilized, for championship play, including nationals, varies by association. AFAIC, there are three requirements to be sent away to a tournament: 1) ASA National School, 2) support (umpire) the State/Metro Championship Tournaments and 3) knowledge and proper application of ASA rules and mechanics.

What an umpire does on the weekends that I cannot put him/her on the field is their business and if they want to work for XYZ, that is up to them. However, when I need that umpire for a state tournament, I should not have to fight to get them to work a few games.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm a firm believer in the old expression and the many quoted variations of loyalty, "Dance with the one that brung ya". Or in the case of umpiring, "movin' up doesn't have to mean movin' on."

I couldnt agree with you more...... Occasionally you get one right..... :-)