The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Cold weather is here

I'm in my first year of football and a cold snap is hitting the midwest just in time for my last game. At the moment, I was planning on wearing a long sleeve t-shirt under my sleeves. My second thought was to go get a Under Armor Cold gear long sleeved shirt. I really like their warm gear, I wear it during basketball and baseball, but is the cold stuff worth my time an money? I'll get myself a jacket in the future, but at the moment the number of games I have doesn't make it worth my while to buy a jacket. Thanks.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'm in my first year of football and a cold snap is hitting the midwest just in time for my last game. At the moment, I was planning on wearing a long sleeve t-shirt under my sleeves. My second thought was to go get a Under Armor Cold gear long sleeved shirt. I really like their warm gear, I wear it during basketball and baseball, but is the cold stuff worth my time an money? I'll get myself a jacket in the future, but at the moment the number of games I have doesn't make it worth my while to buy a jacket. Thanks.
What good would the jacket do during the game?

UA Cold Gear is WELL worth it. I've worked baseball in the upper 20s (on the bases, where there's not much movement at times) in it and I've felt almost comfortable.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I'll go pick some up after work. I just didn't know how much of a difference it makes. Around here a lot of guys wear the striped jackets during games. Some October days in Iowa can be like January at a lot of other places.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Thanks. I'll go pick some up after work. I just didn't know how much of a difference it makes. Around here a lot of guys wear the striped jackets during games. Some October days in Iowa can be like January at a lot of other places.
Some crews wear the jackets here (in WI) as well.

My crew will wear the striped jackets the day I see a D-I or NFL crew wear them on TV. They're horrible and you can layer under a long sleeved shirt.

I feel the same way about shorts during a varsity game, but some really good crews around here wear them.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 12:47pm.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I got UA Cold longsleeve and I used it on Mon. night. It was in the 30's by the end of the game and I didn't get cold.

My belief is that jackets should only be used in heavy precipitation, NOT for cold. I put layers under my long sleeve shirt and it works well. This Friday it will be in the 30's by the end of the game and I will use the UA Cold with a sweatshirt over it and I should be alright.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I wore my UA cold gear for the first time two weeks ago. Temps were in the low 50s and we had a good wind with occasional rain. I could actually feel the UA like a heater on my arms and it made a world of difference! I'm sold.

We are expectings temps in the upper 30s and low 40s for this Friday so it will get another test.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I think the jackets look bad. I've seen guys wear them at lower levels, but I'd rather layer under the long sleeves.

I may have to break out the gloves this week, though.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Last year I had a game where it was freezing rain and windy. It was the most miserable game I have been a part of. That was the only game of the year where it was cold. Having a jacket for just one game a year would have been well worth the money. I just bought one yesterday and should be here today.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Gloves?!

Jackets?!

Cold gear with temps in the 50's?! Man, that's just getting into long-sleeve territory. Mock turtleneck < 50. Cold gear < 40.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

In the 50's around here we're painting stripes on our bare chests and wearing white speedo's.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Gloves?!

Jackets?!

Cold gear with temps in the 50's?! Man, that's just getting into long-sleeve territory. Mock turtleneck < 50. Cold gear < 40.
Cold gear is HOT HOT HOT anytime it's above 50, IMO.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

What are the best gloves for cold weather? where should I buy them?

Thanks!

Last edited by IHSAref; Wed Nov 01, 2006 at 09:53am.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
What are the best gloves for cold weather? where should I buy them?

Thanks!
I bought two pair of gloves last season, one Windstopper from Honigs, the other UnderArmor from Dick's Sporting Goods.

The UnderArmor gloves are ideal for cold wet weather. The Windstopper gloves work best with just plain cold weather.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We only use jackets only for precipitation (if it is raining or sleet). I have UA Cold and then: turtle neck, sweatshirt and ref shirt. Layers work and as long as we are moving we're ok. I've done games at 9 degrees with a stiff wind and the layers work well. UA is the best thing I've gotten in a long time.

I rather enjoy the cold weather.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

An trick from the days before the UA cold weather or other high tech stuff is is to layer a trash bag between your long underwear and your black undershirt. You will sweat under it so it's not perfect, but it does work in an emergency. Take a large trash bag, put a hole in the middle of the bottom for your head and a hole on each side at the bottom for your arms and then slip it on upside down over you. It really stops the wind and is not bulky.