The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Softball Umpire Improvement Program

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Softball Umpire Improvement Program
Thank you.

Follow up. The SUIP, once ball in circle, wants BU to move quickly to next position then turn around, then PU moves quickly back to plate. Right?

I used to do that. Now as BU, I move past the base line, turn and back pedal to my position. 1) SUIP not good? 2) ASA - ok, not ok or depends on UIC or let's kill it?

Thanks.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

The SUIP is the NCAA's way of getting all of their umpires working with the same mechanics and philosophy. They have a manual that we are expected to use so that when they bring officials in from all over the country to do regionals and championships everyone knows what is expected. It is written for college fastpitch softball. ASA teaches to the masses and includes many levels and games.

Umpires need to hold their positions until the ball is in the circle and the runners are on their respective bases. Several years ago they asked the plate umpire to hold until a set of eyes is on the runners. It took too long and drew attention to the umpires. Now the BU's turn and hustle to their position and the PU keeps their eyes on play (the ball is not dead) until there is a set of eyes on play (the ball is not dead - things can happen). The idea is that you don't need to stand still. When a BU gets to their next position the PU turns and hustles back to the plate. Umpires can move much like a set of basketball officials. It is faster and does not draw attention to the umpires.

Mechanics are used to make sense for the college fastpitch game. 39,000 umpires don't need to be trained, only the ones that are doing that level of softball.

Calling time as a routine takes away from the game and draws attention to the umpires.

What can happen?
-Pitcher leaves the circle.
-Pitcher drops the ball.
-Catcher walks to the circle w/o asking for time.
etc. etc.

Why take that away from the game?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post

Calling time as a routine takes away from the game and draws attention to the umpires.
Come on, give me a break!

Quote:
What can happen?
-Pitcher leaves the circle.
-Pitcher drops the ball.
-Catcher walks to the circle w/o asking for time.
etc. etc.

Why take that away from the game?
Take what away from the game, a meaningless "gotcha" call that shouldn't occur anyway? If anything, making that call will draw more attention to the umpire then calling time and hustling into position so the teams can get back to doing what they are there to do, play the game.

BTW, who cares if the catcher walks to the circle w/o asking for time, NOTHING can happen without the umpire being put in the spotlight when s/he makes that "gotcha" call!!!

You can ramble all you want about it, there is nothing that keeping the LBR adds to the game. Remember when the WCOS championship game ended on an LBR violation? Right, wrong or indifferent, the call drew serious attention to the crew and the "violation" (as is often the case) had little to nothing to do with the progress of the game.

The LBR is an antiquated "control" tool that is more of a detractor to a game that otherwise has a very positive image.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The LBR is an antiquated "control" tool that is more of a detractor to a game that otherwise has a very positive image.
This may or may not be true - but I think it is irrelevant to the conversaton.

It IS a rule right now. It IS expected to be enforced. It IS used by players and coaches that understand it. Would it make a lot more people happy to do away with the rule - maybe. But if so, why havn't ANY of the rule makers for any of the organizations done so?

Until the rule is done away with, we obviously have to enforce it. And keeping the ball alive and not turning our heads on the ball and players is how we have to do it.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Helluva an assumption that the batter only swings the bat in the vicinity of the plate.
When I see batters warming up between the plate and circle, or 20-30 feet up the 3rd base line, I'll be sure and address it. Until then, I'll assume it's relatively safe to ease back towards home for the short time it takes my partners to get moved.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This may or may not be true - but I think it is irrelevant to the conversaton.
It IS relevant to the conversation as the elimination of the rule WOULD make this thread and subsequent discussion obsolete.

Quote:
It IS a rule right now. It IS expected to be enforced.
We enforce the rules in place. I'm pretty sure I've got that one down after 43 years of umpiring.

Quote:
It IS used by players and coaches that understand it.
As noted by people other than myself, this rule was not meant to be "used" by anyone other than the umpire.

Quote:
Would it make a lot more people happy to do away with the rule - maybe. But if so, why havn't ANY of the rule makers for any of the organizations done so?
Maybe for the same reason that until a couple years ago, the rules did not allow a batter to attempt to advance to 1B on an U3K with two outs and 1B unoccupied.

Maybe for the same reason that ASA rules do not address a fair batted ball which lands (hits the ground) and deflects off a fielder and leaves play in fair territory.

People are apathetic and often just accept the status quo whether it makes sense or not.

Quote:
Until the rule is done away with, we obviously have to enforce it. And keeping the ball alive and not turning our heads on the ball and players is how we have to do it.
The ball is "live", not alive. But because of this rule, nothing can happen. Runners cannot leave the base, so there is no reason to throw the ball, the ball cannot be pitched or hit, so what is so "live" about the ball other than to get umpires to argue over who said what about who is watching whom first and whether "backing" into position is acceptable at any level of the game!

Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It IS relevant to the conversation as the elimination of the rule WOULD make this thread and subsequent discussion obsolete.
I disagree. The discussion is how we handle returning to our positions, not how we should do it if the rules were different.

Quote:
We enforce the rules in place. I'm pretty sure I've got that one down after 43 years of umpiring.
I wasn't being a SA, just commenting on why I thought it wasn't relevant.

Quote:
As noted by people other than myself, this rule was not meant to be "used" by anyone other than the umpire.
When the rule is violated, people know and expect us to enforce it. They don't sit back and say, "That's an obsolete rule anyway, I don't want you to call my opponent out."

Quote:
Maybe for the same reason that until a couple years ago, the rules did not allow a batter to attempt to advance to 1B on an U3K with two outs and 1B unoccupied.

Maybe for the same reason that ASA rules do not address a fair batted ball which lands (hits the ground) and deflects off a fielder and leaves play in fair territory.

People are apathetic and often just accept the status quo whether it makes sense or not.
That's definitely true!

Quote:
The ball is "live", not alive.
Brain cramp! Sometimes I type faster than I think.

Quote:
But because of this rule, nothing can happen. Runners cannot leave the base, so there is no reason to throw the ball, the ball cannot be pitched or hit, so what is so "live" about the ball other than to get umpires to argue over who said what about who is watching whom first and whether "backing" into position is acceptable at any level of the game!
I disagree that nothing can happen. I would agree that nothing 'should' happen. But, as Rachel pointed out, things do happen. Pitchers walk out of the circle. Pitchers put the ball on the ground to fix their hair without having time called. Runners step off bases. Things definitely do happen.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
But, it's a live ball game!
Then why can't the runner's run? Could it be that is because the same amount of action is supposed to take place during this period as that when the ball is dead? Oops!
(and then the ensuing debate...)

You're just not a smilie kind of guy, I guess!
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

You're just not a smilie kind of guy, I guess!
Why would I smile when you put up a picture of my mother-in-law?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would I smile when you put up a picture of my mother-in-law?
I think her sister is related to my wife!

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I disagree that nothing can happen. I would agree that nothing 'should' happen. But, as Rachel pointed out, things do happen. Pitchers walk out of the circle. Pitchers put the ball on the ground to fix their hair without having time called. Runners step off bases. Things definitely do happen.
And a meteor could fall on the pitcher!!! Can the runner advance if she drops the ball with a 200 ton rock sitting on her head?

The runners cannot advance, so who gives a **** if they come off the base?

The rule was not meant to be a cheap out or part of a strategy. I certainly hope you are not fearful FP umpires are not able to handle the situation as SP umpires have been doing for decades.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule was not meant to be a cheap out or part of a strategy. I certainly hope you are not fearful FP umpires are not able to handle the situation as SP umpires have been doing for decades.

What is its meaning? Serious question as have never heard why it is there.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And a meteor could fall on the pitcher!!! Can the runner advance if she drops the ball with a 200 ton rock sitting on her head?
Wouldn't that be a block ball?

Quote:
The runners cannot advance, so who gives a **** if they come off the base?
They can advance, they just can't advance legally.

Quote:
My fear is that SP umpires won't call outs when they get drafted to work bases on my field and the LBR is violated.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
What is its meaning? Serious question as have never heard why it is there.
From ASA:

Many years ago the Look Back Rule was established to help speed-up the game by stopping the pitcher and the runner from “toying” with each other when the ball was being returned to the infield after it had been put in play. The rule was not established for the offense or defense to gain an advantage through “trick plays” or by “baiting” the other side into a violation.