The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
BY THE WAY that is not a mechanic in the NCAA Softball Umpires manual so I dont know where this guy is getting that from ... SOOOOOOOOooooooOOOO in conclusion ... it doesnt matter that he is a pac 10 umpire.
Neither is having a visable Schutt emblem on your face mask. But the WCWS crew in '08 sure were sporting them. Some things in the manual are more important than others. Standing statue still while waiting on you BUs to get into position then robotically turning and sprinting back to the plate is not one of them.

Last edited by topper; Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 10:37am.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
I'm telling all of the umpires going through our training program that there are 2 modes of motion while umpiring: stopped and jogging. Sometimes jogging will have to increase to running.

I've seen too many umpires waaaallllllkkkkkk into position. It is a lazy, old man saunter - and it looks like they don't care. If I don't think they care, what must the coaches, players and fans think.
I know what you're talking about- the ole stroll through the park...

So when I've got 3B as PU I have been walking smartly, think military walk, back to the plate.

Yer suggesting I should jog back ?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Yer suggesting I should jog back ?
That's what I do and that's what I'm training people to do.

However, some people have been know to call me anal.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's what I do and that's what I'm training people to do.

I'm SP-only, but I've always been told that if you, as the BU, aren't jogging back to B, you'll get dinged on your evals.

Same with the PU.

The difference is that the ball is dead, and runners stay where they are, so the need to watch the runners during this time isn't very high.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
The difference is that the ball is dead, and runners stay where they are, so the need to watch the runners during this time isn't very high.
The priority is different, but the result is the same. Most, if not all, SP games have a 60 minute time limit, give or take a few minutes. If you are lollygagging during dead ball periods, you're wasting their playing time.

Some people take the opinion of great!, let's do that. Less work, less whining, same pay. I don't roll that way. They're paying to play. I'm getting paid to work. I shouldn't limit what their paying to do because I don't want to do what I'm getting paid to do. Maybe that's why they are calling me anal.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The priority is different, but the result is the same. Most, if not all, SP games have a 60 minute time limit, give or take a few minutes. If you are lollygagging during dead ball periods, you're wasting their playing time.

Some people take the opinion of great!, let's do that. Less work, less whining, same pay. I don't roll that way. They're paying to play. I'm getting paid to work. I shouldn't limit what their paying to do because I don't want to do what I'm getting paid to do. Maybe that's why they are calling me anal.
And maybe that's why you get invited to call tourneys and don't get stuck year in, year out, doing only league games.

I'll admit I don't haul butt at the end of every play when calling league games. When doing 3 games in a row, I HAVE to pace myself. However, I'm always in position well before the pitcher is ready to pitch, and I make sure I'm not the one holding up the game. If there's any holdup, it ain't due to any laziness on my part.

Calling in a tourney, on the other hand, is different. I'm jogging back to the plate or back to B at the end of every play. You will never see otherwise from me.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hey, get off my corner!!!

Though taught it years ago, I do not agree with the jogging/running into position as the be all to end all.

Your time between plays may be the only time you get to take a relaxing breath. Too many people confuse running with hustle. They are not the same. I have sprinted back to my position and still had the PU waiting on me because everyone else did not have to wait for a play at 3B to finish before turning away from the play.

As long as the umpire is where they belong as soon as they can get there is fine by me. I want that umpire to be ready and able to cover the next play as well as s/he did the last one. I DO NOT want to call 911 because an umpire went down due to heat, exhaustion or any other reason.

If that means taking a couple relaxing steps on the way to their next position, that's okay. However, do not let me see the game stop because you did not make an effort to get into position in time.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...the umpire will call “time” to brush off the plate...
If I'm on the plate and we're rotated out of position, I usually call time and then brush the plate off when I get "back home". I thought I was doing it only because I was uncoordinated with that little you-gottem-now-I've-gottem dance. Who knew I was following someone's recommended technique.

By the way, what was the source of this?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
If I'm on the plate and we're rotated out of position, I usually call time and then brush the plate off when I get "back home". I thought I was doing it only because I was uncoordinated with that little you-gottem-now-I've-gottem dance. Who knew I was following someone's recommended technique.

By the way, what was the source of this?
The ASA National Staff. It was posted two years ago on the umpire page of the ASA web site. It isn't anything new and pretty much takes a step closer to my advocation of the elimination of the LBR.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ASA National Staff. It was posted two years ago on the umpire page of the ASA web site. It isn't anything new and pretty much takes a step closer to my advocation of the elimination of the LBR.
Should be mandatory reading. If you have not read em, you are slacking...
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Should be mandatory reading. If you have not read em, you are slacking...
Somebody at ASA ought to get a clue and cross-reference their posted material (rules clarifications, etc.) by subject. Listing them only chronologically is pretty much useless.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Somebody at ASA ought to get a clue and cross-reference their posted material (rules clarifications, etc.) by subject. Listing them only chronologically is pretty much useless.
Maybe you would like them to stop by at night and tuck you in?

You know, it is amazing what some of these search engines can do nowadays. I entered "look back rule" ASA clarification time and had the thing in front of me in less than 2 seconds.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe you would like them to stop by at night and tuck you in?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Thanks, I've been looking for an emoticon like this one.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, I've been looking for an emoticon like this one.
Glad to help!